PDA

View Full Version : what wheels on 8.8 rear?

Fuzzydog
03-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Hey all, I got an explorer 8.8 (drum) to put into my cherokee. I understand that the bolt pattern for the cherokee and the exploder are the same, but will the cherokee wheels fit backspacing wise?

Anyone who has put an 8.8 into their cherokee, what rims are u using?

Nutbar
03-30-2006, 03:50 PM
The axles are the same bolt patern but the 8.8 is 1 1/2 inches narrower than the dana 35 so in a grand you might run into clearance issues on the inside of the tire most specifically with the factory Jeep wheels they have quite a large backspacing on them you might want to look into getting the 1 inch bolt on wheel spacers.

Fuzzydog
03-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks nutbar, but what do you mean by "in a grand"? a grand cherokee? mine is a 'not grand' cherokee.
I get what you mean tho about the clearance - the inner tires would rub on the leaf springs, right? so will need either spacers or wheels with a diff offset (sticking more outwards)

Can anyone explain what the offset means? eg ET45 ...what does that mean?

Nutbar
03-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Sorry bud I thought this was a Grand Cherokee you were talking about. I am not sure how they measure "offset" I have always gone by backspacing which is the actual measurement of the center of the wheel from the backside.

On the little Cherokees you will probably still have some clearance issues as well I know on the YJs with an 8.8 installed when you 4 wheel them and get it flexed the tire tends to rub on the frame and inner fender and I think the cherokees have less room than the YJs.

Matt
03-30-2006, 07:01 PM
right again mikey. on a cherokee your going to need aftermarket wheels with at least a 4.5" backspace(eg american racing 767 wheels). the stock wheels have more backspacing and I know for a fact that they will rub the leaf springs. Just found that out today.
:eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: [j]

Fuzzydog
03-31-2006, 11:22 AM
thanks guys - gonna have to keep an eye out for some proper wheels.

I guess with the 5x4.5 being so common and all, it shouldn't be too hard to find wheels with better backspacing...

bogealot
04-04-2006, 01:47 PM
i have a 8.8 in my yj with factory rims but am only running 33''10.5 wide tires and its fine...