PDA

View Full Version : Radiators?

fisherman
03-29-2006, 03:08 AM
So which Rad should I buy? I've got a 86 runner that like to heat up when I'm wheel'n. I've bled the system a bunch of times and changed the t-stat. What should I do? should I get the v6 one cause its slightly bigger but the price is forty bucks more than the four cyl one. Now is it worth getting the turbo one? The price for that is a little much. So I ask the toyota guru's what do i do???

Big_Ern
03-29-2006, 03:38 AM
this is a common problem in the winter time when you've got you heater on. The heater return dumps COLD coolant right on the the t-stat which causes it to close and thus over heat the engine. Certain factory t-stats from toyota have a 2nd hole in them that opens up at a different temp and fixes this problem.

Or the easiest & cheapest way is to drill a few small holes in your t-stat so it alway allows some coolant through.

Give this a try before you think about a new rad. Also you could test this problem by driving around for a while with the heater turned off to cold and see if it no longer overheats.

fisherman
03-29-2006, 11:54 AM
the thing is, is that the truck the over heats when only going up hill in 4x4. I've tried the drilling little holes and still no go. I think its cause the engine is straining to turn my 33's without being re-geared.

Big_Ern
03-29-2006, 12:02 PM
ya ok, sounds liek its just overworked then. But even still the stock cooling should be able to keep up with it -- especially this time of year when its cold.

Could be your clutch fan not working properly. Do you have a fan shroud? Is the rad full of mud?

The V6 rad does fit nicely though. I've got one in my '80 p/u with a '95 22re

G-rizzle Swank
03-29-2006, 12:53 PM
hmm just sounds like your rad is plugged upbut im sure you tried unclogging it, if not i would pull the rad and get some compressed aire and blow it from the motor side out, i have 33 boggers and my truck will not get hot at all i would almost like it to get hotter. the temp will get real hot real fast if your hammering on it and barely moving i.e stuck in a mud pit or something.

sparky
03-29-2006, 01:07 PM
sounds like the rad is plugged eithier with mud on the outside or on the inside........if the rad is in good shape u have to dig deeper but not likely......and blowing compressed air into the motor side of the rad is useless cause if that worked i would be out of business.....my 2cents..[51]

Hello Kitty
03-29-2006, 01:23 PM
ya ok, sounds liek its just overworked then. But even still the stock cooling should be able to keep up with it -- especially this time of year when its cold.

Could be your clutch fan not working properly. Do you have a fan shroud? Is the rad full of mud?

The V6 rad does fit nicely though. I've got one in my '80 p/u with a '95 22re

does it matter if the shroud is on or not?

Nutbar
03-29-2006, 01:33 PM
For trail driving a fan shroud is a big asset it makes the fan pull the air through the rad not from around the sides of the engine compartment.

Hello Kitty
03-29-2006, 01:35 PM
For trail driving a fan shroud is a big asset it makes the fan pull the air through the rad not from around the sides of the engine compartment.

WHAT if it don't fit anymore cause you put a motor in that takes up too much space?

[16]

sparky
03-29-2006, 01:40 PM
WHAT if it don't fit anymore cause you put a motor in that takes up too much space?

[16]

make it work or get a electric fan to get u by..... but electric will never make up for a good manual fan with a proper shroud........a shroud is 35-40% of cooling ur truck espescially in the bush going slow......:)

Nutbar
03-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Then you probably have clearance issues with the fan and the rad but u can usually modify the fan shroud to fit, have done it a few times myself on different eng conversions.

With a lot of fans and shrouds you have to put them on at the same time and slide the shroud up onto the eng while you tighten the fan then bolt the shroud to the rad.

Hello Kitty
03-29-2006, 01:42 PM
make it work or get a electric fan to get u by..... but electric will never make up for a good manual fan with a proper shroud........a shroud is 35-40% of cooling ur truck espescially in the bush going slow......:)

I must cut cut cut to make fit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[cheers]

sparky
03-29-2006, 01:44 PM
[iagree] it can be a pain in the ass to put on but well worth the effort when out wheelin cause u not allways lookin at heat gauge wondering ........[51]

sparky
03-29-2006, 01:45 PM
yup and make sure the fan is not to far inside the shroud or else it will not really suck any air worth while.........it must be just inside the shroud a little bit to make it suck real good..................[cheers]

did i say suck real good.....hummmmm[f]...haha

ri0
03-29-2006, 03:17 PM
I don't run a fan shrowd and my truck doesn't over heat at all, I just make sure that I have the rad good and cleaned out seems to work just fine, mind you my rad is only 2 years old

Toy_Runner
03-29-2006, 06:48 PM
the thing is, is that the truck the over heats when only going up hill in 4x4. I've tried the drilling little holes and still no go. I think its cause the engine is straining to turn my 33's without being re-geared.

mine is stock rad, and stock 4.10 gears and 33's and doesnt over heat, but i did get it re-cored, with 16 more tubes in it. i think [36]

TOYLESS
03-29-2006, 07:50 PM
same thing no shroud clean rad no overheating. even if the rad is slightly caked u will heat up. check it out[cheers]

Tuner Inside
03-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Listen to Sparky he knows what the fuck he is talking about!

Hell I run a stock rad with my frigin turbo diesel and no problems.