PDA

View Full Version : lift decision for my yj

heavykevie
03-24-2006, 06:20 PM
I've got a rough country 4" lift and 2" body lift right now and am not very happy with it, I am thinking about going to stock leafs and spring over since I am putting an 8.8 rear in anyways. what do you guys know about leaf over yj's I used to own a zuk and every body spring overs them but not yj's, Why?

England
03-24-2006, 06:23 PM
well yer steering is gonna be all over the show for 1 ..i have rubicon 4 1/2 lift nice heavy duty springs I would also say to pm nutbar cause the dude knows more about jeeps than anyone on here . Also am getting 3 inch body if yer can get away with it then dont do the spring over I have heard way to many bad things ..but hey if its just a trail rig then it dont matter much right ?

Nutbar
03-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Please I have said this again and again do not do a spring over on the jeeps I will not do them at my shop to do a spring over PROPERLY on a yj you sill spend as much or more than a GOOD lift kit and it will not work as good or ride/drive as well

I have a spring under lifted CJ5 and I will put it up against any spring over jeep anytime anywhere, trails, ramp competitions whatever the last time I ramped my cj I got almost 1600 on the 20 degree and over 1100 on the 30 degree.

If you want a GOOD lift kit for the yj buy a Rubicon Express kit they are a little pricey but you get what you pay for. It is the MOST COMPLETE competition ready lift kit out there they give you stuff in their kits that aren't even an option on other guys kits and they ride really well and flex really well out of the box. I run Rubicon Express stuff in my CJ5.

Matt
03-24-2006, 09:18 PM
go ahead do the spring over. then check out the picture of my jeep on my shop wall. nice flat road one jeep on it's side.
[27] [27] [27] [27] [27]

Evan the Blue
03-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Nice to see you on the board Matt ..........They couldn't be more right I have listened to them and am happy [5] w/ the Rubicon 4.5" and 3" body and couldn't ask for more out of a bolt on Kit may want to try revolver shackles if still not enough for ya. You can bolt on 36"-12.50 w/ minor fender trim. Now if moneys not an object I would suggest going w/ a 4-link front and rear running this for springs [5]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=98327

[!] Leaf springs

heavykevie
03-25-2006, 11:51 AM
I guess then I won't go spring over. I don't have the $ for a R.E. lift so maybe a set of soft ride shocks will help me deal with the ride till I get some more $. Thanks guys for all the help. What shocks should I buy and where should I get them. Maybe rancho 5000's?

Mr Vic
03-25-2006, 05:50 PM
the rancho 5000 are too stiff for a YJ, those shocks would be better for a heavy full size truck. i run BDS shocks and they are good

Jeep eh
03-28-2006, 04:34 PM
the rancho 5000 are too stiff for a YJ, those shocks would be better for a heavy full size truck. i run BDS shocks and they are good
I have rancho 5000s in mine, feel every single little bump in the road

bogealot
03-29-2006, 02:14 AM
i here that

mUD uCKeR
04-03-2006, 01:22 PM
I spring overed my YJ after having the rough country springs as well.... I am really happy with my SOA. Wheeled lots, never had any problems that wasn't worse with the rough country springs... i am on 38" boggers. 350 SBC.
I don't see why everyone has a problem with it.
up is up... the springs will flex way better with the SOA... in my opinion.

Nutbar
04-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Up isn't up if it isn't done right. How much did you spend doing your high steer or did you cheap out and bend your drag link to clear the spring[16] hows the bump steer how many u joints do you go through do you like the axle wrap.
You need to go wheelin in a jeep with the Rubicon Extreme kit in it and you WILL change your mind about the spring over.

epic3
04-03-2006, 07:10 PM
I don't drive a jeep but the front end of my scout is practically the same it's sprung over and sucks I've already tacoed one draglink cus it binds on the leaf during full flex and wanders all over the road my last scout didn't have a spring over just cheap leafs and drove much nicer and the steering linkage didn't bind on the leafs

mUD uCKeR
04-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Actually... i made high steer arms for it. Cut from 1" thick plate, then taper drilled for the correct mounting and chevy 1 ton tie rods. I didn't bend my drag link...but thanks for the B.S.
I have no bump steer... because i changed my caster to about 10 deg... so it handles just fine.... i can get up to about 120 km's without any horrible shakes at all. Every SOA YJ has axle wrap problems in the back... so what... add a CV joint and a traction bar... like everyone else does.
All depends on what a guy wants. If all you want is a pavement princess jeep... then yeah, spend bucks on a kit... if you want sometthing bolt on and easy.. yeah buy a kit. I am not saying the kit is a bad way to go.... I am just saying that there isn't anything wrong with a SOA....
I don't see how a super arched lift spring will flex better than a flat stock spring.... I have had the rough country 3" lift springs... and they were crap... i have a SOA ... and I love it.

Nutbar
04-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Mine with "Super arched springs" spring under axle ramps 1560 on the 20 degree and over 1100 on the 30 degree and it definately isn't a pavement princess.

I have been building jeeps for 20 years and am a second generation jeeper and jeep mechanic and racer, I have drag raced mud raced and obstacle course raced jeeps all my life. I have tried pretty much any swap, conversion or modification you can think of and I have yet to see a spring over jeep that will work as well as a good kit not rough country or pro comp you get what you pay for.

heavykevie
04-04-2006, 10:02 PM
well I built a set of shackles for the yj, the stock ones are 4" spacing on the bolt hole so I went with 6.5" seems to ride a bit softer maybe makes up for the sag in the 4" lift but lots of body roll. what do you guys think of shackle lift?

mUD uCKeR
04-05-2006, 11:22 AM
NutBar- that second Pic is sweet, i have seen it on here before. I am not doubting that you have more experience than I do... But I find, that my SOA works good for me.

As far as shackle lift is concerned... as long as it doesn't mess up your pinion angle to a point where you are getting bad vibrations, or drive line bind up... it's probably not a bad idea.
I know when running longer flexier springs, guys run into a problem with the arch inverting and getting stuck sprung the wrong direction if you have weird shackle angles, but you'll probably be fine.
Run them for a while, and see if YOU like them.... you can always switch it back if it doesn't work well.

coyote
04-15-2006, 02:09 AM
A couple of things about SOA, I've got an 89 YJ with SOA. It drives great on the road, no bump steer to speak of. It drove very well on and off the road. However I did not have ladder bars on it and I kept snapping pinion Yokes. Nutbar solved that problem for me and I will say he does excellent work. If I was to have a choice between an SOA or a quality suspension lift like Rubicon, I would go for the rubicon no question. I don't think there is anything wrong with an SOA if it is done right, and other then the pinion yokes I haven't experienced any of the horrors that guys commonly quote SOA's as having.
And I have had friends with YJ's and R.E. suspension lifts in them and they have all performed well, and I don't ever remember them having any problems with them.