PDA

View Full Version : Rear leaf springs for YJ

Buck Master
03-21-2006, 10:47 AM
I have a spring over on my YJ and the rear leaf springs are starting to arch backwards. The front is fine. As a result my jeep sits about 2" lower in the rear. Do they make an aftermarket set just for the rear that has a bit more arch?

Milkman
03-21-2006, 10:50 AM
try an add a leaf, or maby re-arching

Nutbar
03-21-2006, 10:51 AM
I hate spring overs on jeeps they never work as well as a GOOD lift kit for the jeeps but yes Rubicon Express makes a set of spring over springs and if you are smart (even with admitting to a spring over already[f] ) you will buy all 4 springs not just rears.
[cheers]

Buck Master
03-21-2006, 12:55 PM
The fronts look really good. It looks like they they have an add a leaf already. I will look into all four however. And if i knew then what I know now, I would not do another spring over.

jeep-neil
03-22-2006, 04:32 PM
i have a set of 4 leaf springs from a 95 yj that are in good condition.pm if your interested

mUD uCKeR
04-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Easiest thing is to like everyone else said... add and extra leaf in the back. With that said though, the reason you sagged your leafs in the back... is because when going SOA, you need to tackle the axle wrap issue. My advise... build yourself a traction bar when you fix the leafs... your problems will be solved for good... otherwise you will be always adding one, or changing them.

Nutbar
04-03-2006, 05:19 PM
A ladder bar will SLOW DOWN the springs from baggin out but that will not stop it. The stock springs were not designed to work in a SOA aplication and once you have done the SOA the springs will over flex on compression and no matter what you do that will wreck the springs.

mUD uCKeR
04-04-2006, 03:50 PM
How does the axle being bolted to above or below the leaf pack influence how they last...? Lots of vehicles in the world come factory with spring over axle.... and they don't have saggin problems.... it has to do with the torque applied to the spring to resist axle torsion. Adding the traction bar takes that force off the springs... wa la.

Nutbar
04-04-2006, 05:39 PM
When you invert flex a spring that wasn't designed for flex in that direction you severely fatigue and reduce the life expestancy of the spring when you do a SOA you have now moved the axle out from the bump stop alowing the spring to invert and over flex well beyond the springs memory limit think of it like flexing a piece of flat bar back and forth over and over eventually it fatigues and breaks.

Big_Ern
04-04-2006, 05:44 PM
[stupid] YJ leafs aren't designed to go negative arch. The second leaf in my hybrid toyota rears up front pack was a YJ leaf. The setup flexed really well, but it couldn't handle going negative arch like the thin toy leafs can and it snapped in half right by the spring plate.

I can't beleive I just posted in the heep tech section[freak]

mUD uCKeR
04-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Hmmmm. Never thought about it like that.... What do they physicall do differently to a leaf spring when they build it for SOA or SUA ? Wider...? stiffer ? different grade of spring steel...?
Don't get me wrong... I don't doubt you might be right... but i have looked at Stock SOA leafs from chevy trucks... and compared them to the SUA springs i use in my jeep... and really don't see how they differ...