PDA

View Full Version : First Scuba Dive

Toe Jam
03-20-2006, 07:15 PM
So i've just finished taking my scuba course and on Sunday march 19 we went to porto cove to do the final dives of the course.

I decided to pick up a disposable underwater camera to try snap some pics.

Unfortunatly a lot of them did not turn out, I'll have to look into getting a real undwater camera along with all the gear.

So none of the fish pictures I took turned out but i'll post what I have anywase.

Ok here is the dive site we swam out to the bouye dove down to about 30 - 40 feet and swam to one of the sunken ships.

Over by the red diver flag is one of the groups completing their final skills, it was a pretty windy day

Ok here is a pic of me, my buddy was haveng problems with his boyance so he was floating up while he snapped it.

Here is the buddy

Here are few pics of the the plant life that turned out, unfortunatly the fish and crab pics did not.

As we were leaving down the sea to sky highway I decided to take some sceney shots

lildude52ca
03-20-2006, 07:25 PM
something kinda pMipin, Looks sweet dude man... i've been trying to save for scuba course and gear but i keep breakin my dern truck :(

lizard
03-20-2006, 07:32 PM
are those things good for that depth????

wait till yah go to a site that has clear water.... you'll be hooked

allwagon
03-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Nice pic's ,,,even with a disposable camera!

Have'nt been diving in a couple of years now,,, lifes to busy.....(fixing a jeep)

Toe Jam
03-20-2006, 07:46 PM
I picked up the camera that was for 15 meteres so about 45 feet. I had taken about 7 pics of some pretty big link cod that were simming around. A pic of a school of fish, a crab that was running around and a few other fish, but they didin't turn out.

ya and the visability was about 5 - 10 feet so that was prob a factor in the pics turning out.

shockless
03-20-2006, 08:11 PM
nice pics f250, looks like plenty of fun

HEAVY METAL
03-20-2006, 08:16 PM
thats cool yo.. i'm fraid of water...

sparky
03-20-2006, 08:24 PM
kool pics .............always thought about taking lessons...what kind of costs are involved in getting certified????????[cheers]

Toe Jam
03-20-2006, 08:43 PM
ah its not that expensive. I paid 340 for the course, which included 5 class sessions and 5 pool sessions, and 4 ocean dives. it included all the equipment excepth the personal gear (fins, mask, snorkle) which i rented for 60 bucks. so in total it cost me 400 bucks to become certified. and the ocean days were way fun. i really recomend going for it.

sparky
03-20-2006, 08:46 PM
thats not expensive at all compared to what u get out of it checking out old ships sea life etc.........do u have to get recertified after certain amount of time and have deep is that cert for???????[51]

Toe Jam
03-20-2006, 08:50 PM
the open water dive course is the basic one, and its reccomened that ur certified for up to 60 feet. but you can go up to 130 if you want. they recomend going for a deep dive certificate down to 100 feet. more certification is good for when go on dive boats so that you don't get stuck with newbies if you are an experienced diver and also it would be safer to get trained at deeper levels then just winging it. because at a certain depth most people get nitrogen narcosis ( narced) apparatnly its like being drunk underwater, and they suggest experinecing it under supervision so you don't do anything stupid the first time.

and this certification is good for life, you would only go for a short refresher course if u didn't go for a long time and felt uncomfortable

sparky
03-20-2006, 09:02 PM
kool thanks for info gives alot more insight ...........[cheers] dude i am in the ok valley so iwill check in the next month or two and git r done.....

Big_Ern
03-20-2006, 11:38 PM
cool man:cool:

always wanted to try diving one day

03-20-2006, 11:48 PM
any bif g broen sharks ?

nykoma
03-21-2006, 06:43 AM
[36] [36] [36] [36] [cheers]

Taxidermy
03-21-2006, 11:00 AM
cool [cheers]

lildude52ca
03-21-2006, 10:02 PM
ah its not that expensive. I paid 340 for the course, which included 5 class sessions and 5 pool sessions, and 4 ocean dives. it included all the equipment excepth the personal gear (fins, mask, snorkle) which i rented for 60 bucks. so in total it cost me 400 bucks to become certified. and the ocean days were way fun. i really recomend going for it.

Um.... i'd really like to know where you went to get that cause i went to this cracker shack in langley and they said about $750 for all the stuff you just listed :S[cheers]

Mukaluk
03-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Very nice! I've been wanting to take scuba diving lessons but I just don't have the $$$$ for it right now. Have to save for school. [27]

Did you get to see the shipwreck at all??? I heard it's cool...

mista fitz
03-22-2006, 11:07 AM
it's only the ribs of the boat left at porteau, but still makes for a cool dive, too bad you have to swim out so far to do it..

try diving out of nanaimo... or even better, on the north island, port hardy, port mcneill... the visibility is RIDICULOUS up here... the north shore dives on your best day you'll get like 30foot visability... last weekend I could see the surface from 80 feet up here, diving Marg's wall near Stubbs Island... simply amazing... got buzzed by Sea lions too - now that is a sight to see... face to face with a 1200lb sea lion that likes to nibble and pull on your fins..

anyone want to get certified - try dive and sea sports in new west - like 76f250 says - its about $250 there, plus personal gear.

I got hooked on diving for sure, I've got about 275+ dives under my belt... and can't wait to add to that!

Any divers want to share a charter out of Nanaimo sometime, I'd be down!

Toe Jam
03-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Um.... i'd really like to know where you went to get that cause i went to this cracker shack in langley and they said about $750 for all the stuff you just listed :S[cheers]

I did mine through bc dive and kyack on west 4th in vancouver. www.bcdive.com (http://www.bcdive.com) The price is listed at 299 for the package with a wet suite, and 399 for the package with a dry suite. But they had a promotion going that if you signed up at the vancouver boat show you could get the dry suite pakage for 299, so thats what we did. The only catch is that I live in abbotsford, so between me and my buddy we paid about $250 in fuel, but we had awsome instructors, even took us out the bar when we were finished and offered to take us out diving and show us cool spots anytime.

I did all my information search just by webpages, and didn't even know about the one in langley till way after we signed up.

Toe Jam
03-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Very nice! I've been wanting to take scuba diving lessons but I just don't have the $$$$ for it right now. Have to save for school. [27]

Did you get to see the shipwreck at all??? I heard it's cool...

I know exactly what you mean. I had wanted to do it before i went to mexico 2 years ago but nodbody wanted to do it with me, now that my buddy was planning on another mexico trip he wanted to do it this time so we went for it despite my horrifingly busy schedule. In order for me to make it out for the classes, between work, school, and scuba classes i managed 2 hours of sleep between tuesday noon and firday noon. boy was i tired, but well worth it in the end.

it was really windy so we made it out to one of the wrecks, i didn't even realize that i was on it till we got back. and we ran out of time to check out the other one.

Toe Jam
03-22-2006, 11:29 AM
I got hooked on diving for sure, I've got about 275+ dives under my belt... and can't wait to add to that!

Any divers want to share a charter out of Nanaimo sometime, I'd be down!

I plan on picking up the scuba set up some time in the near future, can't waite to go do some more exploring.

I'd defenitly be down for sharing a charter out that way, but if you have 275 +, then i guess i shold go get some more practice before then or I'd really be holding you up or messing up the bottome as i'm at a whopping 4 dives.

mista fitz
03-22-2006, 11:53 AM
nah, you wouldn't hold me up... its a relaxing sport. . stir up the bottom though, thats no good! ! too bad the wrecks around nanaimo are so deep (but they are cool), even with my experience, I don't enjoy those dives so much... when the deck of the ship sits at 100feet or more... it makes for such a short dive, like 10-15mins of bottom time, because you'd have to make a safety stop on the way up.

check the buy&sell for used equipment, a lot of people spend big money on the sport, only to realize they don't have the desire or time to spend on it - - -the bonus is we get cheap used sets of equipment! !

ps. don't worry about computers and whatnot... the less equipment the better I think.. just less to go wrong, and less to spend money on. Get a good drysuit, mask, fins, gloves and boots.. BC/backpack, tank and weightbelt... a simple reg setup and pressure/depth guage. .. and you're set. you'd be suprised how cheap used gear goes for in the buy/sell.. I got everything except the drysuit for $500. The drysuit I initially had was $150 outta the buy/sell.. but then got a brand new one when mine was stolen (good score)

for a day trip, try "Keystone" underwater park, just south over the border, wicked easy shore dive. . and decent visablity.

Toe Jam
03-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Which do you prefere.

neoprine or bag drysuite?

integrated bcd or weight belt?

i've only used the bag dry suite and the weight belt. i found the weight belt annoying as it would slide down. i'm thinking of going for an integrated.

FordGirl
03-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Great Pics, Looks like a ton of fun!

mista fitz
03-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Which do you prefere.

neoprine or bag drysuite?

integrated bcd or weight belt?

i've only used the bag dry suite and the weight belt. i found the weight belt annoying as it would slide down. i'm thinking of going for an integrated.

well.. I like neoprene for one good reason - even if it does flood somehow, the neoprene will be a bit buoyant, and adds some warmth... the bag (tri-lam) - if you fill with water, you'll be FREEZING, and you have to wear more underneath it. Even right now, in my dry neoprene suit, I wear track pants and a t-shirt underneath, that's it (even though I have a full fleece suit if need be) --- the plus side of the tri-lam suit is that it is lightweight to carry to the dive site. I just got 'dry gloves' too - oh my god.. so good... wear fleece gloves underwater... sooo nice..

I haven't tried the integrated weights, but I have seen them slip out of the pouches before, and my buddy pop to the surface like a cork.. with the belt, just tighten it up a bit when you get down to 40 feet or so, and you'll be good... I have to tighten the belt every time I drop 40 feet or so, due to the suit squeezing a bit and making the belt loose. I like that the belt is easier to release in case of an emergency.