PDA

View Full Version : Swap a Saginaw onto a 22RE

hamberger
03-18-2006, 12:00 AM
#1......Anybody here done it. If you have, any pointers when fabbing up a new bracket.

#2.....do you think the toy steering box will handle 500 more psi?

ham

Big_Ern
03-18-2006, 02:50 AM
what about a 2nd pump just for the winch? get an electric clutch for it like the yorks.

Just an idea incase the extra pressure is too much for the stock box.

ToyotaHEAD
03-18-2006, 08:50 AM
I heard the number around somewhere. 1500PSI is what a toy box will take. But for the love of me I cant remember where I read that. Perhaps you should get in contact with someone that sells reconditioned boxes for the hydrolic assist setup. They should be able to tell you forsure.

Why anyways are you looking to change your pump? Is your winch not pulling as hard as you want? Or are you looking for more speed? Cuz if it is speed you want, its not more pressure you need, but volume.

hamberger
03-18-2006, 10:41 AM
Yes. Its to improve the performance of the MileMarker. Its both press. and flow that I want. The saginaw I have is from an Astrovan with remote res.
Spec.'s are 1400 psi and 3.5gpm which is right where MM optimum are.(Toy pump is only 900psi)

However I plan on opening up the MM flow solonoid and try to get around
4-5gpm out of the saginaw restrictor to increase line speed, but at the end of the day is pull power(psi) thats most important to me.

ham

ToyotaHEAD
03-18-2006, 11:12 AM
... but at the end of the day is pull power(psi) thats most important to me.

ham

[36] I hear ya!

I intend on getting a MM hydro winch as well. I dont care that they are slower than Warn's. I just like the fact that they can go ALL day and hard pulls without cutting out. I do know Warn has gotten a lot better, but heat is still and always will be an issue with electric.

And as for having to have the motor running to use it. As we discussed in a past thread. There is nothing wrong with going with a electric hydrolic pump that is able to cut in if your ignition is off. [36] And these pumps draw WAY less current than an electric winch.

Dam I think I am gonna bust a nut, I'm getting excited!!! [g]

G-rizzle Swank
03-18-2006, 12:45 PM
how much would this saginaw setup cost? the saginaw is just a hydro pump right? and how much do mm hydro winches go for?

hamberger
03-18-2006, 02:42 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "setup" GM, some Ford and some Dodge use Saginaw Power Steering pumps. All I'm doing is replacing my Toyota pump with one of these. Cost me $50 at the wrecker. Now all I have to do is fab up a bracket to make it fit under the dizzy. Probably will need a longer belt. Thats why I'm asking ahead of time.

Brand new the milemarkers are $1700 and I've never seen anyone sell one used.

ham

pumpkin
03-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Bought my MM from Summit Racing 899. US. for the 12000lb. I have a lot of saginaw pumps, and after testing a bunch of them I got from 750 psi to a max of 1100 psi. So I had to modify the preasure relief to get the preasure I wanted.As a side note the saginaw pump will put out 3200 psi before it explodes!

Big_Ern
03-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Ham, have you tried shimming the pressure relief spring & drilling out the restrictor on the toy pump before you hastle with installing the saginaw (mounts, hose adapters etc)?

hamberger
03-18-2006, 05:03 PM
Ya. Not all saginaws are the same. If you get one from an Astrovan or a G series van the spec's are approx. 3.3-3.5gpm and 1300-1400psi.

Can you bench test my pump?? If I were to drill out the restrictor just a little will the psi output drop??

To answer your question Aaron. Yes I've read up on it but my theory is when you start screwing around and try to hugely increase performance out of stock stuff its just gunna fail real soon. Too much to ask from the Toy pump. Might as well start with something that has the specs I want and only modify it slightly.

ham

Big_Ern
03-18-2006, 05:14 PM
From what I unserstand (with the toy pump anyway) drilling out the restrictor only affects the flow. might have to work harder to pump more fluid to get the same psi, but psi is regulated by the relief spring & valve so it shouldn't change.

pumpkin
03-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Ya. Not all saginaws are the same. If you get one from an Astrovan or a G series van the spec's are approx. 3.3-3.5gpm and 1300-1400psi.

Can you bench test my pump?? If I were to drill out the restrictor just a little will the psi output drop??

To answer your question Aaron. Yes I've read up on it but my theory is when you start screwing around and try to hugely increase performance out of stock stuff its just gunna fail real soon. Too much to ask from the Toy pump. Might as well start with something that has the specs I want and only modify it slightly.

ham

These are the specs I found also, but when I tested them the best one I found was from a 89 1 ton G van with hydroboost. It was 1100 psi.

Big_Ern
03-18-2006, 07:51 PM
ya good point Ham, Just like anything perfomance I guess. Modify it too much and it becomes unreliable