PDA

View Full Version : 96 F250powerstroke clutch Issue

Germalikin
03-16-2006, 06:48 PM
So heres the issue, the clutch will not fully disengange, I have pulled both master and slave, cleaned and inspected both and re bled many times, no issues there, the clutch bites as soon as you lift your foot off the floor, have a couple more experiments to try, just hoping that someone can save me some time looking for this problem, next step is to inspect pressure plate and internal linkage, the truck only has 200k km on it and the only owner since new drives a kenworth so damage from abuse is also unlikely,
Thanks in advance for any info

Nutbar
03-16-2006, 07:01 PM
I don't know about the Fords but the little jeeps on certain models had an issue with the clutch fork cracking causing it to flex and not give you full travel on the throw out bearing and the clutch would perform like you are describing.

Milkman
03-16-2006, 07:47 PM
I have had 2 pressure plates crack.

In The Zone
03-16-2006, 07:49 PM
check to be sure the clutch is fully disengaging through the inspection opening. if it has a external slave u should be able to move the realease bearing fork

i say the input shaft and disk are binding

only cause i have had it happen..

Germalikin
03-18-2006, 02:24 AM
Thanks for the info guys
Bushwacker... what have you had 2 pressusure plates crack on?
In the zone... i have pulled the inspection plate, the pressure plate is releasing but not enough, i can see it relax but not enought, it is an eternal slave, my next plan was to take a port-a-power and open it to see how much more travel i need
thanks again and hope to hear back from you guy's

jeepingpw
03-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Had the same problem with my '86 Hyd clutch.
What happened was the slave cyl on the firewall was flexing. I had a buddy push on the clutch & the spot welded plate on the firewall had broke away (the slave is only bolted to the plate, it doesn't go through the fire wall) so when you pushed on the clutch the slave cyl moved away from the fire wall. Drilled 4 holes around the slave & put 1/4" bolts through , no more problems.

Flatdeck
03-18-2006, 10:07 PM
The pressure plate may have a broken 'finger' on the diaphram spring. The pressure plate will still move, but there would be an area where the plate is still contacting the clutch disc, therefore not fully disengaging.

bronco1
03-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Check to see if the clutch pedal comes all the way back to the stop.If it doesn't,get a new lever for the end of the clutch pedal cross shaft that the clutch master cylinder is at(the new one dosen't have splines,they are cut into the lever as it is tightened down)Also check the master cylinder push rod and bushing for wear(where it goes on to the above lever)-replace as necessary.Check the cross shaft bushings for wear and replace as necessary

Germalikin
03-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks again guys
I am thinking towards the broken finger on the PP
the bushings do have some wear but not enought to be that far out
I am getting a full swing on the pedal and it already sits higher that the brake pedal
slave and master are both solid and have no flex at all

Vw have a simalar problem, flange that holds cable housing crackes and flex's
i also had a flywheel bolt brake and when the clucth was pushed down the bolt head would hold the springs out so it have one spot dragging
Cheers Guys

Germalikin
03-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Pressure plate fingers quite worn friction surfaces like new, New clutch now it works great
thanks again for the ideas