PDA

View Full Version : rought country lifts

jeep-neil
03-12-2006, 11:50 AM
i was wondering if anyone has a rough country lift or if anyone knows much about them and the quality of the lift? any info is appreciated thank you

mUD uCKeR
03-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Yeah, i had a set of 3" lift springs.... Cheap, but road like a tank. Personally, i would say, spend the extra money and go with the rubicon springs, or something a little more proven.
I didn't like the rough country springs.... they eventually led to shakin the body to death.... body mounts broken ect. The have almost no flex in them at all.

Taz Jeep
03-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Had a Rough Country lift in a XJ I previousley owned, found it to be a very hard ride, now running a Rubicon Express super flex kit, more expensive but worth every cent [36]

Big_Ern
03-12-2006, 09:53 PM
there's a reason they're called rough country

B
03-12-2006, 10:51 PM
yep u get what u pay for there cheap shit ...can't beat the rubicon express lift kits for ride quality....

ottoman
03-12-2006, 11:44 PM
rough country does't usually sag but they do usually ride like shit

Nutbar
03-13-2006, 01:57 AM
Rough country stuff rides like crap stiffer than hell if you want a excellent lift for your jeep by a Rubicon Express lift they are a little pricey but you get EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING you get all the extra stuff that the other guys offer as options or don't even offer at all. Plus they are one of the best riding kits on the market and are built for extreme duty service.
[cheers] [cheers]

Mr Vic
03-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Rough country stuff rides like crap stiffer than hell if you want a excellent lift for your jeep by a Rubicon Express lift they are a little pricey but you get EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING you get all the extra stuff that the other guys offer as options or don't even offer at all. Plus they are one of the best riding kits on the market and are built for extreme duty service.
[cheers] [cheers]

exactly what Nutbar said.. i would stay away from their stuff..go rubicon express

jeep-neil
03-14-2006, 09:44 PM
thansk for the info i think ill have to save for abit more and spend the extra money on the rubicon lift. since every post says the rough country is rough as hell and shake you to pieces.

FINGERS
03-14-2006, 09:50 PM
yup

FokkerDude
03-15-2006, 04:48 PM
So what makes them so stiff? The springs? The shocks? The polyurethane bushings?

Nutbar
03-15-2006, 05:48 PM
The springs in the rough country's are built for 3/4 ton trucks I think but yeah its the springs that make them so stiff. Had a used set in my CJ5 before I rebuilt it and I ended up taking 2 leafs out of every pack to make them flex.

FokkerDude
03-15-2006, 06:04 PM
So the coils are too stiff too? I guess on the pavement it wouldn't be so bad but as that kind of defeats the purpose of lifting the rig, softer would be better.

Big_Ern
03-15-2006, 06:35 PM
90% of the off the shelf lift kits suck ass. Rough Country, skyjacker, etc. They're all designed for pavement princesses who just want to fit big tires. They're not meant to be wheeled hard & flex.

jeep-neil
03-16-2006, 11:39 AM
im thinking about either the 3.5 super flex or the 4.5 super flex kits from rubicon. does anyone know how much they are? or has anybody had many problems with them?

Jeep Junkie
03-16-2006, 01:43 PM
im thinking about either the 3.5 super flex or the 4.5 super flex kits from rubicon. does anyone know how much they are? or has anybody had many problems with them?

I have the 4.5" kit in my CJ. I am so impressed with it! It rides awesom and the kit was 100% complete. It had every bolt, bushing, etc in it. Good choice with going with Rubicon Express.

beeker
03-17-2006, 07:07 PM
i run the rough country 3.5" lift mine road like a tank b4 i lifted it so to me it drives better now Lol i did remove the bumpstops and cut off 4 of the spring pack "C" clips so the packs open more i got it cheap couldnt resist the deal i found for it

fourplay
03-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Jeep thrills is the local distributor for rubiconlifts. Talk to mike (nutbar), i believe he has connections there, lol Heres a pic of him in case you you wanna say hi to him when your out wheelin..

[f] (mikey aka nutbar, the one holdin the stick!!)
[cheers]

Taxidermy
03-18-2006, 10:34 PM
[f] [cheers]

cherokeechick
04-07-2006, 05:10 PM
My boyfriend and I bought a whole 3" Rough Country lift for $900.00 CDN off the internet with FULL new leafpacks (no add a leaf-which is why I find most rears sag) shocks, ubolts and springs. Yeah they ride a little rough but a) you drive a truck and b) once you put fatty tires on your rig it rides rough anyway. It was a daily driver and a weekend warrior.

Our XJ is SUPER capable for only having a 3" so I don't think that the lift inhibits capability.

We just had to put on a steering stabilizer which I think the Rubicon express kits come with. Crazy bumpsteering.

Anyway you pay for what you get but our rig did what rigs "better" equipped couldn't. It all comes down to the driver.

hittinghard
04-08-2006, 12:14 PM
i had a rough country lift on my xj and it was alright, it was rough. but it did sit you up higher to stuff bigger wheels. i think it rides likew a yj with the leafs. but thats what i think. i got mine for 300$ canadian it was Add a leaf tho but 300$ is nothing so i bought it. its not bad for a budget.

mUD uCKeR
04-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Just a note to people with the rough country lifts... even though the ride is 'rough' and you might not mind it cuz you drive a truck.... keep in mind that the rougher, stiffer leaf springs tend to limit flex up and down... so in one place where the suspension is lifting a tire somewhere, and causing you to spin... that tire loosing traction... with softer springs... the tire will stay on the ground and you won't spin out.
Just a thought to keep in mind.

bogealot
04-25-2006, 08:54 PM
ya i agree, buy the RE lift..... as we have all said, you get what you pay for....everything seems to be like that except gas prices...lol thats not even funny!!!!

Moondog
04-25-2006, 11:06 PM
ya i agree, buy the RE lift..... as we have all said, you get what you pay for....everything seems to be like that except gas prices...lol thats not even funny!!!!

PM cjmike or matt for the best prices on Rubicon Express

steeleco
04-25-2006, 11:16 PM
I have a 3" rough country kit on my 98 Cherokee, a little rough sure but it's not a daily driver it's my hunting buggy. With a sway bar dissconnect kit on it it's very capable. I could have spent more but I offroad for hunting and the hardcore stuff is wasted hunting time!!! But it sure looks like fun.

Matt
04-27-2006, 09:12 PM
call me at work and i'll price out the RE lifts for you(604-465-5559)