PDA

View Full Version : bobbed and buggies

tin420
02-28-2006, 03:46 PM
so i decided to finally start tearing apart my truck. i bobbed it a foot, flat decked it and am now throwing in the buggies. i figured i would bolt the upper leaf to the frame rather than using u-bolts, so i started to drill some 9/16 holes in the halph leaf. first hole took about 10 mins, but i cant even seem to get a 1/4" hole drilled now for some reason. wondering if anyone has done drilled through leafs before and if theres any trick to it. i will post pics later tonight.

Bigsexy
02-28-2006, 09:10 PM
u want to drill it really slowly.. too much heat in the drill bit will fuck it up..
that waas one looooong day of grinding/cutting we did..[cheers]
if u need help again, i'll help..... just not when ive been drinkin till 6am this time[f]
wut all do u need to do to fininsh the buggy leafs?

ri0
02-28-2006, 09:29 PM
I would just make plates and pinch them tight agaist the frame, I have tried to drill spring steel before and its just a pain, wouldn't bother again thats for sure, obviolsy a way fast way would be with a tourch or plasma cutter, but that might make the steel weak and maybe break off during flex situations

epic3
03-01-2006, 02:15 AM
I don't know if drillin leafs is safe or recommended but if your doin it leafs are heat treated steal so a good drill bit start small work up and lots of cutting oil helps

Big_Ern
03-01-2006, 04:03 AM
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't trust a leaf spring to be held in place by a bolt running through it. U-bolt & plates seems like it would distribute the stress a lot more evenly.

tin420
03-01-2006, 09:11 AM
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't trust a leaf spring to be held in place by a bolt running through it. U-bolt & plates seems like it would distribute the stress a lot more evenly.

im going to put a plate between the heads of the two bolts and the leaf, i figured that would distribute the stress quite evenly. Brandon, ill be workin on it tonight if you want to stop by.

Big_Ern
03-01-2006, 03:11 PM
ah ok, it sounded like you were just gonna bolt them on with some washers maybe...

tin420
03-01-2006, 03:25 PM
the only problem i am seeing with bolting the leafs to the frame is that i am going to have to make a small rectangular cut in the frame to get both the nuts onto the bolts. but i figure ill just weld a plate over it afterwards.

Big_Ern
03-01-2006, 03:34 PM
if you weld a plate back over it you'd never be abel to see if the bolt is backing off. Might want to put a tack weld on the nut so it can't lossen off just in case

trailtoys
03-01-2006, 05:04 PM
why are you putting in buggys. do you want more wheelhop?? buggys are useless

tin420
03-01-2006, 05:28 PM
i figured i'd try something different. i've heard it allows decent flex, and seeing how it is never driven on the road i figured i might as well try it. if it is as bad as you say it is, it wont be hard to swap back to a normal shackle to frame set-up, but im hoping it turns out well.

Bigsexy
03-01-2006, 07:39 PM
i think it will werk an perform awsum when finishd..[cheers]

but ima ford boy so i no nuthin bout it[f]

HEAVY METAL
03-01-2006, 08:19 PM
true dat....

Big_Ern
03-01-2006, 09:03 PM

but ima ford boy so i no nuthin [freak]

fixed it

trailtoys
03-04-2006, 03:15 AM
my experience with buggies, missing link shackles and all those gizmos is that they really dont help you on the trail. sure you flex a bit more in the ass end but you loose some up front. and then the wheelhop is horrible unless you build a trackbar i guess.

Burge
03-07-2006, 11:33 PM
also remember with buggies they will unload on off camber side hills, also They tend to allow the alxe to climb/walk on ya in step climbs giving you the pos. of a rear flop.[cheers]

just my 0.02