PDA

View Full Version : carb

Explorer guy418
02-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Looking for a non electronic carb swap for the 87 yj with 4.2 this carb i got now is shit is this possible to swap.....[27]

Nutbar
02-27-2006, 08:05 PM
hey bud
it is not just the carb that changes if you want to get rid of the electronic crap you will have to do aome wiring to and you don't actually have to get rid of that carb only some mods necessary.
the timing is controlled by the ecm as well so you have to go in the harness and do some wiring...
what year is your yj and I will see if I can give you some instructions.
[cheers]

Explorer guy418
02-27-2006, 09:27 PM
its a 87 yj, maybe even if its not chaged to non electronic just changed to something that is better? please help.

Nutbar
02-27-2006, 09:36 PM
I will tell you right now that all you probably need to do is to bypass the fuel feed back computer I will have to look for my wiring diagrams and I will get back to you on the instructions.I just need to confirm wire color codes.
If you follow my instructions I guarantee the truck will run way better and make more power.
right now with the ecm hooked up they tend to run lean and back the timing out to much. They did this for emissions but it robs you of horse power.
I WILL get back to you don't do anything yet.
[cheers]
Mikey

bakelite
02-28-2006, 09:08 AM
[iagree] Mikey's the jeep guy.........Here is a link to the "Nutter Bypass"...good luck.

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/electrical/jn-ignition99/

Nutbar
02-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Perfect Bakelite I didn't know that site was out there I figured this out myself a few years ago, you just saved me a whole lotta typing my fingers thank you...
Ranger Guy follow those instructions and I guarantee that your jeep will run WAY better only one hint here though the YJs don't use the same colors on the body harness so you will have to look at the plugs to confirm your wire colors in the harness
[cheers]
PS your ign module is located on drivers fender under the coolant overflow bottle

bakelite
02-28-2006, 09:27 AM
welcome, glad to be of some help for a change, I figured that was what you were looking for and I had it saved in my favourites. [cheers]

Explorer guy418
02-28-2006, 08:59 PM
thank you all, i will have to try it, doesnt look super hard...

Jeep eh
03-02-2006, 03:29 PM
i ordered a brand new carb non electronic i think from an 85ish cj7, i just ripped off all of the hoses and put on the new one and everything is there already that u need to hook up the older carb all it took was a little tunning and it started right up i have no more stalling or idleing problems and it has started every time i have needed it too

Nutbar
03-02-2006, 03:36 PM
the carb you would have used would have been from 81 and prior and you haven't finished it yet the ecm runs the timing as well as the carb so if you don't do the rest of the conversion you WILL have problems eventually I have done this conversion on probably 50 yjs and 30 cjs myself and I do know a little about them have been mechaniccing on Jeeps since 86.
[cheers]

pistonbroke
03-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Ditch the carb completly. I've yet to see one work anywhere near as good as EFI. Nutbar might be able to hook you up wit fuel injection parts....

Jeep eh
03-02-2006, 06:15 PM
the carb you would have used would have been from 81 and prior and you haven't finished it yet the ecm runs the timing as well as the carb so if you don't do the rest of the conversion you WILL have problems eventually I have done this conversion on probably 50 yjs and 30 cjs myself and I do know a little about them have been mechaniccing on Jeeps since 86.
[cheers]
wat do i still have to do i checked the timing right after i did it and it was still perfect

Nutbar
03-02-2006, 06:39 PM
check the link in bakelite post in gives a full description of the conversion