PDA

View Full Version : XJ radiator upgrade

FokkerDude
02-24-2006, 10:26 PM
One of my plans for the summer is to upgrade the rad in my XJ. From what I've read, 2 core is better, 3 core is best. And try to stay away from rads with plastic tanks. Anybody have any suggestions as to what rad works best? GDI, Modine, etc? And where to buy local?

Blazerboy
02-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Get a 4Core Chevy one. Itll fit with some skills

kootenaycat
02-24-2006, 10:39 PM
I did the upgrade on my '90 last fall. Bought a new ('91 up style) 2 core from Napa, can't remember what brand it is, 2 rows of I think 1/2" or 3/4"? Can't remember which, but no over heating even towing the quad on trailer. I had a washer reservoir from a early '80s Chevy fullsize, made a couple quick/simple brackets and bolted it where the original expansion tank used to be. I bought the new style hot water valve, but haven't installed it yet, didn't have 5/8-3/4 adapters for the hoses. Just put the heater hoses directly to the core, not sure if it would actually make much difference as far as getting hot in the cabin in summer.

I also took an electric fan from the junk pile at work out of a loyale, welded a few tabs on, bolted in where the factory electric fan would go with some minor cutting to the shroud.

sparky
02-24-2006, 10:46 PM
the newer rads from the jeeps are one row factory 3/4 tube if u get the 2 row aftermarket rad it is 1/2 tube .......so it is better then factory i build 2row high density rads at the shop and i have guys pulling big travel trailer with these things and no complaints........so 2 row will do it all ....gdi rads are state side hard to get warranty and modine is out of business and spi has a 2yr warranty and u get what u get when u order rad when it comes to wetheir it is all brass or plastic/copper.....good luck..[cheers]

FokkerDude
02-24-2006, 10:56 PM
My XJ is a 92 so the open system is already on it. I'd prefer to get somethig that will swap in place of the OEM unit as I don't have the patience to fab up a bunch of fancy stuff. A guy at work who is a bit of a gear head suggested to stay away from rads with plastic tanks. I guess it's safe to assume that the're not as durable as all metal?

I'm not doing any towing but I do get stuck in a lot of stop and go traffic and drive up a lot of long and steep mountain roads. I actually blew the waterpump gasket last summer going up a steep mountain road in Washington State. At around 6000 feet the temp spiked and I could hear coolant pissing out. Wasn't a whole lot of fun.

Sparky: what kind of pricing would I be looking at for what you fab? And is it all metal? Lordco has a 3 core aluminum for $195 but I'm not sure if the tanks are plastic.

Thanks for the input guys.[cheers]

sparky
02-24-2006, 11:05 PM
i have been at this along time and i would like to see what u get for 195 in a 3 row alum............hum....not to ay it cant happen..there is nothing wrong with a proberly build plastic tank rad......but brass is way better. remember u have 1 row now so just getting the stock replacement is double the factory so u will be good to go.......aluminum does not cool near as well as brass and copper the only advantage is weight and alum is harder to repair ......is that rad from lorco for ur exact appl....[51]

FokkerDude
02-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Yep, it directly replaces the OEM unit. $195 is the "really super-cool nice lady that I deal with" price to me. The list price was stupid. [k] I'd rather have a brass or copper rad for sure. That's what the reasearch I've done has suggested I should get. I just want a good rad without having to break the bank in doing so.

kootenaycat
02-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Like Sparky has said, a 2 row will cool more then you need if everything else on the XJ is working properly. Aluminum doesn't cool as efficiently as brass/copper, and if you have a problem expensive/impossible to fix. Make sure the rest of the cooling system is up to par when you replace the stock rad, it should be fine!