PDA

View Full Version : 4 wheel drive help

Smurf131
02-23-2006, 08:06 AM
on the weekend i was out with a bunch of my friends wheelin and i high centered the front end of my xj and my front tires were spinning free, the back tires had plenty of traction but they wouldn't spin at all is my 4 wheel not fully engaged or is that just how they work?

digger
02-23-2006, 08:07 AM
its a jeep thing

bakelite
02-23-2006, 08:17 AM
got rear driveshaft?[f]

Smurf131
02-23-2006, 10:15 AM
my drive shaft is fine 2wd works no problem, is the engine just sending all power to the free wheels? plus i heard the bushings under the shift lever for the 4 wheel like to wear out could that cause something like that. or is this shit seriously just a jeep thing?

Nutbar
02-23-2006, 10:33 AM
what tcase do you have?
If it is the NP242 it has a full time 4x4 mode and a part time 4x4 mode
in full time the t case has a " differential " between frt and rear driveshafts that allows the 2 driveshafts spin at different speeds so it does not bind up when driving on pavement ( yes you can drive this version in FULL TIME on the dry pavement ) but if you lose traction on one axle the tcase acts just like an open differential it will put all the power to the axle with no traction.
In part time mode it locks up the "differential" in the tcase so no matter what you split the power 50 50 between both axles.
This tcase is notoriuos for a snap ring breaking inside which allows the main shaft to move slightly and screws up the shifter positions inside the tcase so even though you shifter says part time you are in full time. If this is the case in yours you need to get it fixed before it causes damage to the tcase.
I know these guys inside and out if you need to get it looked at give me a call 604 657 2155
[cheers]
Mikey

Smurf131
02-23-2006, 12:44 PM
you rock man thanks