PDA

View Full Version : why does it run like shit?

dexter302
02-13-2006, 05:56 PM
OK,,, I changed the valve cover gaskets in reeces truck,, plugs, wires cap and rotor...,,,, ran fine for 3 weeks,, then it runs liek it does now,,, i am sure most of you have seen it,,,, runs like no power,,, really rich,,, misses,,, pops....

ok,, so i redo teh intake gasket again,,,, no leaks,,, timing belt has not skipped a tooth,,, tried a different computer, maf, and same thing,,,,,,
comp test,, 90 psi,,, i know its low,, (i hope its just my gauge is wrong) 120 wet test,,,, i dont know what the fuck is wrong with this piece of shit,,, teh codes are telling me vehicle speed sensor,,,, but i called toyota,, they dont know what the fuck,,,, no cruise,, so no speed sensor they say...

i think its o2 sensor,,, but reece hasnt got money to just throw at this pos,, so any idea what else might be wrong???,,i know 90 psi is low,,but the truck will work,, then not work,, then work..... i set the timing to toyota spec, then the truck runs ok,, the runs like shit,, i move the dist. and it will run better,,, when teh timming is off teh factory spot??,, why???

anyone???,,, reeces truck needs to be done now.

02-13-2006, 06:05 PM
I wish i could help.I just sold a car that did the same thing,I tried fixin it for 8 months.

Ironman
02-13-2006, 06:06 PM
burn it [cheers]

stuckle
02-13-2006, 06:09 PM
plug it into the comp. The o2 sensor should cycle open close open close (or rich lean rich lean) if not replace it.

check fuel pump pressure...clean injectors...replace fuel filter....dont know whatelse you can do

stuckle
02-13-2006, 06:10 PM
and what errror code came up>

lizard
02-13-2006, 06:27 PM
is it possible that the harmonic balancer is hooped? or do the toys have them? that would screw up on the SB cheys an be hard to figure out.

or maybe the cam sprocket is slipping?or are they keyed?
A guys truck at work is doing about the same thing and Iam thinking headgasket or cracked distributer, cuz he's loosing a bit of water but no external leaks.

or what about the distributer? broken plates or something?

stuckle
02-13-2006, 06:35 PM
or idnition module? mine went...its heat sinked to the distibutor on my sb i dno how the toys wrk but thats anohter thing to check out

Murd0c
02-13-2006, 07:01 PM
I feel bad for the guy, Gregs been working so hard on it and not a clue, and I don't want to leave my junk there. Don't want to piss off his grandpa. Thanks for the work greg, to tempted to take it to toyota to scan it but big money.

Any ideas of help please let me know!!!

dexter302
02-13-2006, 08:03 PM
i have changed the distributor too,, i saw the reluctance pick up was chipped,, i thought that was teh problem.,..

gumboot
02-13-2006, 08:25 PM
replace all your vaccuum hoses maybe, one might have a slight crack you dont see, done it beofre and my celica ran great after i did that.

sparky
02-13-2006, 08:52 PM
does that unit have a fuel pressure regulater on it.... if it is no good it will pour lots of fuel to it and run like shit pinch off return line and see if it runs better simple fix for now [cheers]

Murd0c
02-13-2006, 09:23 PM
it's the to 3.0 garbage engine. Do your go by the dry or wet comp test? yes I know the psi is low for the dry but at least the wet seems not that bad. The engine has 340k on it thats the thing but when it runs fine has power and all then all of a sudden cuts out sounds like shit and no power what so ever.

G-rizzle Swank
02-13-2006, 09:52 PM
sounds like a dist problem to me. what about the coil?

G-rizzle Swank
02-13-2006, 09:53 PM
seems like the only thing you havnt replaced electrical

stuckle
02-13-2006, 10:59 PM
i have a computer so yoiu dont need to go to toyota to plug it in.....

Toyquad
02-14-2006, 11:51 AM
check the o2 sensor with multi meter. also check all the connections... make sure no corrosion.

i'd also check the fuel pressure regulator

dexter302
02-14-2006, 01:09 PM
what should teh resistance be on teh o2???

Toyquad
02-14-2006, 01:36 PM
ummm resistance?? haha

to check a o2 sensor..... put multi-meter to the 20V setting. put red lead on to the wire comming from the o2(while keeping the o2 still hoooked up). the black onto a good ground. start engine.... Once the engine is warm it should fluctuate between 0.01- and 0.1 volts. And should be pretty fast..... about 1x a second. If its slow, ordoesnt fluctuate..... try adjusting the air flow meter and see if that changes it. if not it probably needs a new o2 sensor

bakelite
02-14-2006, 02:37 PM
WD40 the crap outta the O2 sensor, my buddy says mostly they stick is the problem. Got a cat on it?

dexter302
02-14-2006, 03:47 PM
i meant the resitance through the o2,, there should be some resistance to see if its open or too low resistance meaning shorted inside,,,,

ya it has a cat,, after running for 2 min,(idle), teh cat is sooo hot,, you cant go near it,,, and also after teh truck was off for 15 min,, i unbolted teh cat to see if plugged,,, teh inside was still glowing red,, and no the cat is not plugged..... the truck runs liek shit with out it too....

ToyotaHEAD
02-24-2006, 12:12 PM
The O2 sensor should show 0.00 resistance when cold. O2 sensors in a nut shell are nothing more than a thermocouple. (Much like you'd find in your waterheater for example) It will develop upwards of 0.8VDC when its the hottest. In this state your fuel mixture would be lean. When the O2 sensor is up to temperature, and the truck is running rich, the voltage generated should be approx 0.1VDC. There is a convient test point under the hood on the check engine connector. When everything is running right, the O2 voltage will fluxuate low to high (0.1-0.8) as the ECU attempts to gain the perfect mixture. This happens about once per second.

Fuel Pressure: is checked at the cold start injector. Should be approx 47psi running, and low 50's with the vaccume line removed from the regulator. The pressure guage should be relitivly stedy, not fluxuating more than 5psi when running. The pressure should be 60+ with the engine not running. (you must jumper the fuel pump to run at the check engine connector.

Ignition timming should be 10BTC @ 750rmp with the check engine jumper installed (at the check engine connector) with the jumper removed the timming should be approx 8BTC @ 750rpm

My 3.0L was doing much the same thing a while back. I changed everything from the ECU, to wiring, sensors, engine components, with no luck. What it turned out to be was for lack of a better description lack of an engine alignment. Meaning it needed the Airflow meter properly adjusted, and BE SURE the EFI Water temp sensor is working withen spec. (Its one of the sensors on the top of the motor up against the firewall. Its the green one) ALSO this temp sensor effects fuel mix ALOT! So be sure the coolant is right up. To do this jack the front of the truck up as high in the air as u can. And I mean way the fuck up there. Front tires like 1.5feet off the ground min! Then make sure your heater selectors are set to hot, and the level at the radiator is 100% full. Running the engine while jacked up might purge the air trap too. GOTTA LOVE THE THERMOSTAT ON THE COLD SIDE EH!!!?!?!

Beyond that, just the usuals... Check for corroded connections, replace the typicals, fuel filter, air filter, distributer cap & rotor.

I must agree though, the compression is WAY DOWN. Should be 150+ dry. But if you got them low numbers from all cyllenders its possible your compression guage isnt correct.

shockless
02-24-2006, 04:15 PM
the cat is hot cause its running rich and the cats trying to burn it off

cruizer
02-25-2006, 05:25 PM
If you still need a hand with this pm me and i can help

Murd0c
02-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Cruizer sent you a pm[cheers]

dexter302
03-03-2006, 09:58 AM
i tryed my comp gauge on my friends truck,, it read 140-145,, which is what he had when he tested it like 4 months ago too...

im gunna put the truck back together again,, i checkd to make sure the timing belt didnt skip a tooth,,, and im gunna check teh fuel filtwer,, i cant remember if reece bought one for me to change or not... it has a new air filter, and cap and rotor,,, im still thinking its the o2 sensor,,, but i would hate to throw money at the truck without any better resuklts,,, but why is the "vehicle speed sensor" code comming up ?????,,,, that is fucked....

ToyotaHEAD
03-03-2006, 10:04 AM
You said that is a V6 right....??? ANd that your gonna check the timming. Food for thought. When I did my timming belt, and went to tention the belt if you watch the cam sprokets on will turn a lil bit (about 1 tooth) as you tention the belt.

I actually had it all back together, and the truck started and idled meh, kinda ok, but the motor made no power.

dexter302
03-03-2006, 10:31 AM
i saw that when i did the belt a year ago,,, so i did check that,,, but it still is lined up with the notches in teh back cover,,, it has run fine up till one day that it just stalled out,, then never ran right,,,, and i work almost 6-7 days a week,,, so i wanna get this fixed today or tommorow,, i actually have a day off,,,, so any other ideas???? please help... im gunna try the wd40 in the o2 sensor,,,,, thats what i have been thinking for a long time now,,, but at 100 bucks,,, hard to buy one just to try ya know????

dexter302
03-03-2006, 10:32 AM
what about cleaning the o2 out with carb cleaner to disolve the carbon???,, will this damage the o2???,, i ussually just replace em,,, but is it worth a shot??

82 yota
03-03-2006, 05:21 PM
does it have the same o2 sensor as a 22re, if it does just yank the one off my motor to test it

stuckle
03-03-2006, 05:29 PM
do you not have a diagnostic computer to plug it in to?

dude...if you do...the o2 sensor should cycle from rich to lean to rch to lean repedadly in a neverending loop. If it dosent then u need to replace it. Fir you dont have a computer to plug it into then you are just guessing thats thats not what you want to be doing.

if your continuouslyworkingo vehicles that are computerized time ot bguy a computer so you can fix em properly and as effieciently as possible... you can find them on ebay..shop around...we got ours for just under 1000 and its the top of a line mac tools one... works for all kinds of vehicles as long as you have the right chip to plug into the bottom...

it tells me what every single sensor is doing, what voltage its sending to the ecm, and whats happeing that shouldnt be...rules out any guesing whatsoever...

good luck bro[cheers]

dexter302
03-03-2006, 06:19 PM
im a commercial transport mechanic,,, i work on freightliners and peterbilts,, kenworths,,, and so on,, not toyota's,,, we do have a computer for the 5 tons and 3 tons,, but we dont have the right cable to plug into teh toyota diagnostics plug,, but i talked to my mac rep,, and hes gunna get one for me in teh next couple of days,,,

and 82yota,,, i already looked at that,, they are different...

stuckle,, i agree with you,, i dont wanna buy an o2 if it doesnt need one,,, thats why i am trying to get someone with a computer to hook up,, but we'll see if the mac guy can get me the right cable,.... he says he can,, so we will see....

Murd0c
03-03-2006, 07:36 PM
hopefully buddy, I gotta get my truck out of your place, and I gave u money for a fuel filter. U said u didn't have enough time to put it in before clear creek

cruizer
03-03-2006, 07:43 PM
:confused: ...still need a hand

stuckle
03-03-2006, 07:57 PM
im a commercial transport mechanic,,, i work on freightliners and peterbilts,, kenworths,,, and so on,, not toyota's,,, we do have a computer for the 5 tons and 3 tons,, but we dont have the right cable to plug into teh toyota diagnostics plug,, but i talked to my mac rep,, and hes gunna get one for me in teh next couple of days,,,

and 82yota,,, i already looked at that,, they are different...

stuckle,, i agree with you,, i dont wanna buy an o2 if it doesnt need one,,, thats why i am trying to get someone with a computer to hook up,, but we'll see if the mac guy can get me the right cable,.... he says he can,, so we will see....

welll....where are yah dude?

maybe iu can bring mine out...

where do you work as a ct mechanic?

dexter302
03-03-2006, 09:05 PM
im in surrey,,, and i work in a small shop in delta,, scotia truck and trailer..,,
but we signed a deal with peterbilt,,, and my boss pays all my schooling,, calss 1 licence,, tons of schooling,, not just apperntice liek first yr and second,,, ect ect,,, its a wicked job,, i love it,,,,

stuckle
03-03-2006, 09:07 PM
sweet dude

my works paying all my schooling too..im a longshoreman and am going to be a heavy duty mechanic...just gotta wait for my opening

dexter302
03-03-2006, 10:27 PM
right on,, congrats

Murd0c
03-04-2006, 12:20 PM
:confused: ...still need a hand

Ya I do thanks[cheers] , as you can see my buddys still trying to work things out but not going so well he just wanted to try a couple things but I will let you know asap when I get it back.

Thanks again[cheers]