PDA

View Full Version : strange sound

Jeep eh
02-05-2006, 08:27 PM
when i step on the gas in my 1990 yj auto theres a loud clunkin sound coming from just behind my transfer case, sounds like my rear drivshaft is lifting up and hitting the floor, i was thinking i might have came down on a rock and knocked the trasfer case loose somehow and now mabe the whole driveshaft is lifting up and hitting my floor.... would that be possible or does anybody have any other ideas of wat it would be??

B
02-05-2006, 08:36 PM
lol.... it's a jeep thing i wouldn't understand.....those cheeps have a tourque mount as well as their tranny mount.... on the bottom of the skid plate if that bolt breaks ur tranfer case will rotate and lift and u will hear it..... snapped a few in the past ... look over from the 2 bolts for ur tranny to the drives side thats where the single tourque mount is

Jeep eh
02-05-2006, 08:49 PM
ya i gave them a quick look they are still in there but i need to wash it and take a good look at them i hope thats all it is

sparky
02-05-2006, 09:50 PM
u sure it is not just a cat going thump thump [15][15][15]

Nutbar
02-06-2006, 09:50 AM
check and make sure the tranny mt has not separatedyou will have to try to pry the tranny and tcase away from the skid plate and see if the mount is torn.Also the exhaust is very common to sag and start hitting the skid plate.

Jeepnut
02-06-2006, 10:39 AM
check and make sure the tranny mt has not separatedyou will have to try to pry the tranny and tcase away from the skid plate and see if the mount is torn.Also the exhaust is very common to sag and start hitting the skid plate.

sounds like my x-wife....[32]

Jeep eh
02-06-2006, 07:20 PM
well i just spend an hour under my jeep in the dark and yes the transfer case is lifting up when i accelerate causing my rear drivshaft to hit my floor but the the bolts that hold the trasfer case down to the crossmember are tight but the movment is coming from that area. is there supposed to be any movement between the transfer case and the crossmember cuz when i squeezed my hand in there it felt like there was a foam spacer of some sort i there??

J20
02-06-2006, 08:02 PM
ya the mount is toasted....................easy fix

Nutbar
02-06-2006, 08:15 PM
No you shouldn't be able to get much play there you probably have a broken tranny mount the mount is rubber and the rubber can tear between the part that bolts to the tranny and the part that bolts to the skid plate
Check the 2 bolt mount under the tranny (not the torque mount out to the drivers side)it has probably separated btween the 2 haves of the mount.If not check your motor mounts if they are separated you could get enough movement to cause those symptoms

Jeep eh
02-06-2006, 08:35 PM
moter mounts are brand new i already herd that kind of thump but il have to check the tranny mounts im not really sure how anything would be loose already i just had the tranny out but mabe i forgot to tighten something