PDA

View Full Version : slip yoke,

Explorer guy418
02-03-2006, 10:19 PM
hey ya'll im not to sure about these slip yoke eliminators, can someone or a bunch of u teach me about it, wut they are, wut they do why u need them.

Nutbar
02-04-2006, 01:24 PM
S.Y.E. there are several kits on the market.
The reason you need one, the yj has a short driveshaft on the rear so when you lift it the driveline angle increasses very quickly and you have to drop the transfer case down and raise the pinion on the rear end to keep from binding u joints or getting drivshaft vibrations, you can eliminate the need for a tcase drop by putting a CV driveshaft (driveshaft with a double u joint assembly at one end) in, and only raising the pinoin to the same ange as the driveshaft.But Jeep in their infinate wisdom made the rear drive shaft like a 2wd car the shaft slips inside the t case on the splined output shaft, no fixed yoke to bolt a driveshaft to so to install a cv driveshaft you need a slip yoke eliminator kit.
The kits give you a fixxed yoke on the t case to bolt the driveshaft to.The cheap kits(which I do not recomend) have you cut off the original output shaft and drill and tap it for a new yoke.The good kits (money well spent) give you a new NP 241 tcase main shaft(much beefier than the NP231) and all related parts to install it in your 231 the kits do not include the driveshaft but some offer it as an option.
You don't really need a S.Y.E. kit if you are only lifting suspension 2 or 3 inches and are pretty much mandatory with any more than that you can go without but you have to drop the tcase so much you lose all the advantage of your lift kit.
If you need a kit call Matt at JEAP Thrills 604 465 5559 they have the best prices on the jeep shit usually.

Nutbar
02-04-2006, 01:32 PM
I have been a Jeep mechanic for years if you need work or advice you can shoot me a private message anytime and I will try to respond quickly.

Mr Vic
02-04-2006, 01:53 PM
like nutbar said for lifts over 3" it is a good idea and when i had my lift installed i went with a SYE cause i knew i would want to lift even more down the road..SOA :D the other benifits of having a SYE is that if you happen to snap your rear d-shaft you can drive out in fwd by keeping the jeep in 4x4 and you won't leak all the t-case fluid out like a slip yoke would. but even with my 4" lift and SYE i still had to use shims to angle the pinion up

Explorer guy418
02-05-2006, 05:21 PM
about how much would u say a SYE kit would cost.

Mr Vic
02-06-2006, 10:51 AM
i got mine from sport trucks for just about 300 after taxes, don't recall how much they charged for the install as i had it done with my lift, but i have heard its not too complicated to do the SYE yourself, provided the right tools are available and you can drop the tcase and put it on a bench to put the new parts in, not sure how to measure for driveshaft length tho