PDA

View Full Version : fuel injection swaping?

Lucas
01-25-2006, 03:39 PM
what i got is a 94 w code 4.3l vortec in my truck(TBI 165hp) with over 300,000k on it and i have a 2001 z code (csefi 195hp) with 20,000k on it can I make this work?
-Can i just swap imy tbI onto the new 4.3 ?I dont think so differant bolt paterns and from what i can find and degree* angles on the heads are different,but not possitive.
-can i put my old heads on the the new bottom end and reuse the tbi ?
-or should i just put the whole new 4.3 in.
and if i were to do that will it work

I have all the wiring and computer for the 01 4.3l

or sell it and just rebuild my factory engine with more compresion and a cam

Big_Ern
01-25-2006, 04:34 PM
I know nothing about what will swap, But why not put the whole '01 motor in? Just swap in the wiring and maybe tranny if its all computer controlled shit and you're good to go I'd think

85_GMC_4x4
01-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Are you 1/2 decent with electronics?

You may want to look into the megasquirt ECU if you know a thing or 2 about electrical. Depends on what you want. If you want to do the swap and forgeet about it, then the megasquirt isn't for you. If you'd like to be able to tune it by plugging in your laptop, but don't have $3000 to spend on a ECU then megasquirt may be up your alley.

The top of the line megasquirt ECU can be bought unassembled for about $250 US, or assembled for around $400 US. The lesser featured versions can be bought for about 2/3rds of that. The top of the line megasquirt will do everything that a $3000 ECU will do and MORE!

I'm in the process of converting my 1970 Mustang to EFI using the megasquirt ECU. So for I'm VERY impressed!

http://www.megasquirt.info/

epic3
01-25-2006, 11:13 PM
Megasquirt is awsome I've done a couple now with great results and I can get you the computer for it pre assembled and with full warranty it also works with all of your GM sensors.With some good tuning you should be able to break the 200HP mark with youre 01 engine

Lucas
01-26-2006, 09:59 PM
wow this is very cool and interesting.So this system runs completly seperate from the factory pcm/ecm?I thought I was half decent with electronics but this is a little new to me.Will the sensors need to be "hard wired" seperate of the ecm?Bare with me guys I may be a little slow at first.

so lets just say i swap the tbi/high milage 165hp motor out and throw in the scefi low milage/195hp motor with the proper ecm what will need me to use the "megasquirt" ,besides tunability?

Big_Ern
01-27-2006, 12:48 AM
megasquirt IS the ecm. Fully programmable via laptop. I haven't looked into it much, but I know it needs very few sernors to run (only 4 or 5 I think), and is capable or controlling 1-16 injectors. So this means you can get rid of the stock computer and wiring.

check of the link Phil posted. Tons of great info there[cheers]

epic3
01-27-2006, 03:07 AM
mega squirt is awsome you can programme different fuel and ignition curves dependant on driving conditions fuel economy HP Torque all you need is a computer to upload the programme into the ecu via serialport and you are done all it needs for sensors are temp sensor intake air temp sensor oxygen sensor and vr sensor(EDIS Ignition module) for crank timing if using ignition control the rest is injector(s) and tach pickup

Lucas
01-27-2006, 07:09 PM
looks like a very slick system,all I would have to do is get a 60 psi fuel pump and wire the megasquirt ,the factory computer would work just fine i just wouldnt have the tunability of the megasquirt ,I like the idea of having the tunability but I sure wouldnt want the non-reliability out on the trail without my laptop.I am going to see if there is a interest for the motor and if I get what I want ill sell it and rebuild my tbi with a cam and some head porting
and see if it can get over 200hp,I heard crane or comp cams has a cam that wont affect fuel injection/vacumm and give you 30 hp
that plus maybe 10hp from the heads and my exaust ill get over 200+hp
if the 01 motor doesnt sell its going in.

duff
01-27-2006, 07:53 PM
dont wast your time with the mega suirt,while its fun to mess around with unless youv done lots of mods to the engine there is no need to tune anything anyway. with a stock engine nothing will run more eficent than your stock ecm anyway. plus unless you get a good tune in you will end up with air care problems.

Lucas
01-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Im still undecided if I should rebuild the tbi wityh cam/head wiork or put in the csefi for the added horsepower and less kms.I would like to have my truck around 215hp but I love the simplicity of the throtle body.

epic3
01-29-2006, 09:01 PM
dont wast your time with the mega suirt,while its fun to mess around with unless youv done lots of mods to the engine there is no need to tune anything anyway. with a stock engine nothing will run more eficent than your stock ecm anyway. plus unless you get a good tune in you will end up with air care problems.
You sure bout that Duff? If so explain why so many aftermarket companies base there busness on remapping factory ecm's for more power or piggy back systems to do the same

duff
01-29-2006, 09:48 PM
systems like mega squirt are desined for tuneing your fuel injection to overcome problems like underfueling after modes like ading a super charger or turbo. this ushualy includes bigger injectors and other mods. instaling it on a stock motor would be a wast of time, just adding fuel or timming wont necicarily give you more power. anything off of stoic is ither to mutch or not enuf as far as fuel gos, the stock fuel injection is allready desighned to run as efecient as far as gas milage and power are concerned, but once you add lots of mods the stock comp can no longer handel the demand and thats wher aftermarket fuel injection comes in, if you dont have acsess to a good 4 gas, hopefully a dyno and some realy good knowlage of how to make fuel injection work properly you will never get it to work as good as the stock injection,

epic3
01-30-2006, 11:17 AM
I've done megasquirt to a stock engine and added just under twenty horse and better fuel economy to boot but this may not be the case for all engines and the engnes I've added it to have all been N/A except one

ShortStack
01-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Local business to talk to ... www.fireandfuel.ca [36]
Talk to Dave, he does all of this. He's done vw's -> his suburban. Tell him Jaime sent ya ;)

duff
01-30-2006, 02:23 PM
daves a nice guy, hes had some of his cars in on our dyno for tuneing(check out haneyautoperformance.com), the biggest advantage to his systems is that ther about $2500 cheaper than our mo-tech systems, Im the first to preach the advantages of aftermarket systems, if youve done some seriuos upgrades its a must, the crap they send you with super charger and turbo kits just dosnt cut it. But being that his truck was a 94 and has to do the IM240 test at air care , and that his transmition will also need inputs from the ecm sutch as the tps , I didnt see the need for a stand alone system for his swap, just upgradeing to the vortech is a prity good step up, didnt want to give the impresion that I have anything against aftermarket injection, its the total oposite I was just giveing my opinion on the need for it in this aplication.

epic3
01-31-2006, 10:42 AM
sure ya were Duffy[f]

duff
01-31-2006, 12:12 PM
OK[f] [f]

Lucas
02-01-2006, 08:18 PM
I agree that the mega squirt would be a waste of money when there is no need for it with a stock engine.
Is there anything else I need to know about this swap so im not suprised if I end up puting it in,iam pretty confidant so far but...........................
You boys seem like your "educated"

duff
02-02-2006, 05:09 PM
YOU NEED THE VORTEC ECU AND HARNESS, A 60PSI FUEL PUMP THEN JUST BE PREPAIRED FOR LITTLE THINGS , LIKE FUEL LINES IN DIFRENT SPOT, POSIBLY DIFRENT THROTLE CABEL , OIL COOLER LINES ECT, WHER DID YOU GET THE MOTOR AND ECU FROM? IF YOU COULD GET AHOLD OF THE REST OF THE TRUCK IT COULD ELIMINATE LOTS OF HEAD ACHES ALSO TRY AND USE THE TORQUE CONVERTER AND FLYWHEEL THAT CAME OFF THE VORTEC

Lucas
02-02-2006, 05:47 PM
ya I have all the stuff to complete and ya there is always "little things"
Thanks for the help ..much aprieciated!