PDA

View Full Version : knock knock knock

G-rizzle Swank
01-13-2006, 06:34 PM
yep the 22r has a knock/rattling sound now, pulled the head off cus i thought it was a valve sticking but they are all moving fine and i used a pipe to my ear and it seems to be bottom end. now i had just put my carb back together after cleaning it and it started making the sound, im 99% sure nothing got dropped in there. does a spun bearing sound like a knock/rattle sound? ill take a video clip tomorrow so you can hear what it sounds like.

78f150
01-13-2006, 06:37 PM
If you dropped something down there it wouldn't make a knock sound ask Toddler about botom end knock.

BAM
01-13-2006, 07:01 PM
maybe its a diesel

CUSTOM-RUNNER
01-13-2006, 07:28 PM
I just pulled my newly rebuilt 22r apart because it sounded like a diesel...I pulled the oil pan to see metal shavings and a small piece of the timing chain guide. So I pulled the cover and sure enough the chain was hooped!! That might be your problem to?!
Hope this helps.

sj-x 500
01-13-2006, 07:40 PM
drop the pan.

epic3
01-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Buy a jeep

slacker
01-14-2006, 10:10 AM
bottom ends on these engines are not known for "going" .
Ive seen engines thatt hav 300k on em' and bottom end is well within spec when plastiguaged .

common problem is when people rebuild them , they dont know that there is a "front" to the rod , and piston , and mix them up ... this will take out the rod bearing and create a knock . piston slap is also common on 85+ engines because of the shorty skirts on the pistons . but it will go away when the engine warms up and the piston expands . Timing chains are real common , but dont normally make a knocking sound ... but maybe if its starving the engine of oil ?

epic3
01-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Isn't there a thrust bearing to be concerned about at the crank

G-rizzle Swank
01-14-2006, 12:55 PM
no there is plenty of oil in there and i check it all the time, the only thing that i can think of is that i just put a holley carb on and when i was putting new jets and needle and seat in the gasket ripped a bit so i put rtv on it not thinking which made those two jets that give the extra bit of gas when you step on it clog up, so the truck ran really shitty until i could figure it out, ie sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders and burnt a bunch of oil. this could have put too much strain on it maybe, the motor was apparently "rebuilt" but i think that the head gasket was only done, and not a complete rebuild.

slacker
01-14-2006, 12:56 PM
yep ... but unless its been rebuilt , and wrongly replaced ... you should not have a problem .

slacker
01-14-2006, 01:12 PM
i just put a holley carb on and when i was putting new jets and needle and seat in the gasket ripped a bit so i put rtv on it not thinking which made those two jets that give the extra bit of gas when you step on it

Is this when the engine started knocking ?????

you dumpin' raw fuel in and washin' the cylinders ?

G-rizzle Swank
01-14-2006, 02:46 PM
well stillrye has the same setup and its been running mint for a long time

G-rizzle Swank
01-14-2006, 02:47 PM
and it only started knocking a month after the carb was installed and it was working really well the last couple weeks once it was tuned

Toyquad
01-14-2006, 05:49 PM
drive till she blows........