Ya mean "burn it"

Mudgirl
01-09-2006, 02:47 PM
(insert pissing squirrel)Stupid rear windows

join the club

Big_Ern
01-09-2006, 02:52 PM
usully the problem is stripped gears. Happened on my old 4runner

you gotta take the access panel off from inside to get at it all. Pain in the ass to do.

T.O.
01-09-2006, 03:52 PM
My dad proped his window up with a 2x4, And it never opened again.
Was like that for over twelve years and the truck is scrap in the yard with the window still up.

arjan
01-09-2006, 04:17 PM
I replaced mine on my old '91. From what I understood from Toyota is that usually the rack wears out first and starts putting a heavy load on the motor and ruin it. The racks are about $150 from what I recall and the motors are very expensive from Toyota. There is a guy in chilliwack who actually rebuilds these motors for less then $100 I think. A buddy of mine just had that done a while back. Works like new, he claims he replaces plastic parts with better metal ones to build a better motor then it ever was.

Big_Ern
01-09-2006, 04:49 PM
I belive the passenger door powere windwos also use the same motor. they don't see near as much stress, so you should be able to find a good on in the junk yards

trevyota
01-09-2006, 04:59 PM
dude you always got some techy fix.......

you boggle my mind sometimes

thank's for the help guy's...... it decided to start working again....

so i have a few more day's i hope that i can use it.......

Big_Ern
01-09-2006, 05:17 PM
fix it now while it works!!!!

trust me, you don't want to have to fix it with it stuck up. You can't open the tailgate so you gotta do it all from inside the truck.

roll the window down and take of the access panel now while you can. at least to open it up and see what the problem is. And grease the shit out of everything that moves

trevyota
01-09-2006, 05:31 PM
will that panel just pop off with some encouragement..........

arjan
01-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Aaron, are you sure it is the passenger? I somehow recall the driverside but I am not a hundred percent positive on that one.

Big_Ern
01-09-2006, 05:36 PM
will that panel just pop off with some encouragement..........

i dunno, it might be different on 2nd gen runner's, mine was screwed on.

Big_Ern
01-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Aaron, are you sure it is the passenger? I somehow recall the driverside but I am not a hundred percent positive on that one.

not 100% positive, but I think so -- it might have actually been either side??? Best to take your old motor with you and check. Make sure the gear is the same too.

arjan
01-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Just checked on Yotatech, both door motors will work. The drivers side motor needs to be turn 180 degrees but it will bolt up directly and work. I didn't know the last part yet, interesting to know.

arjan
01-09-2006, 05:53 PM
i dunno, it might be different on 2nd gen runner's, mine was screwed on.

The second gen panels pop off with the same sort of clips the side paneling is being held by. Just pull forward, but you might break a couple. Next time at the junkyard grab a couple of extras. The same ones are used all through toyotas to mount the paneling in the cabin.

trevyota
01-09-2006, 06:01 PM
thx boy's

i'll get at it when i got some light....

damn winter night's

ToyotaHEAD
01-13-2006, 10:32 PM
I am just curious as to why it all of a sudden started to work??? Tell me when it wasnt working what did the motor sound like? thump thump thump (window shaking a bit) or a dull humm/grone???

I suspect neither. The tail has a control module with operates the rear wiper, window, and defogger. Inside this module there are lil relays that tend to burn contacts and eventrully quit all together. (this happens as a result of a hard to move window. So I would still suggest taking the tail gate appart and greesing everything like Aaron suggested) At any rate this module is found in driver side rear pannel side pannel next to the rear passanger seat. (a lil up and left of the seat belt coil up)

Let me know what you find, I have fixed a lot of these rear window regulators. And therefor have lost much hair. lol

Big_Ern
01-14-2006, 02:33 AM
On my 89 runner the gears got rusty and wore a grove in the teeth, so sometimes it would line up right and work, and other times it wouldn't. And even when it would work i usually had to help it up by hand.

Good point about the relay though. A lot of people forget about it because its way up front by the seats