PDA

View Full Version : spring of conversion on a fj40

highrider_44s
12-27-2005, 10:29 AM
I was thinking about helping my uncle do a spring over in his land cruser and was wandering what kind of un expected problems you can run into he wants to run 44 on it. I heard that a spring over would be enough, lift will they fit? What other mods would be worth while looking at. Just trying to get a idea of what parts i should be getting together. :D

Rebulon Refurbulater
12-27-2005, 11:16 AM
i dont know the dia.of the axle tubes or the thickness of the spring pack on your application....
but i think a spring over should get about 5 or 6 inches roughly. you may have to "trim" the wheel wells......(a bit)......:)
There will be a host of details to address.......gears will be one...perhaps driveshaft length........ pinion vs. t-case angles.......
axle wrap,....... e-brake cable re routing or length,...........flex brake line relocation or new braided for length,...probly a new steering setup,perhaps highsteer or crossover steering..........fenderflares and or mudflaps if its for public road use........a large winch cause once you get that big.....your selection of helpfull vehicles around you gets smaller .......keep the front pinion angle and caster measurement in mind while doing the job cause the more you tilt the housing up for useable pinion angle the less caster you will have and i believe you should be in the 2 - 6 dgree area roughly.
Im sure there are lots more.....but thats a start ....and there are probly lots o guys on this site with a pile more application specific knowlege than me
hope this helps
Pete

highrider_44s
12-27-2005, 12:00 PM
I was thinking of going with the crossover and maby the high steer but I'm not sure what it involves with the toyotas axles do you have to get the knuckle drilled and taped?

Big_Ern
12-27-2005, 12:35 PM
If its the same as the p/u & 4runner axles (and I think it is) highsteer is all bolt on except for mounting the IFS steering box to the frame.

---------------------
Jeeps are like tampons....
Every pussy needs one[f]

TeaBag: '80 Toy "4Runner" on 36" SXs with dual t-cases
Daily Driver: '83 RX-7
Old rig: '89 4Runner 'The Last Ride (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14144)'

Rebulon Refurbulater
12-27-2005, 04:06 PM
i believe the ott kits for pick up and 4-skin runner use land crusher tie rod ends and drag link ends......
not sure about sky but sky is usually better on delivery dates!

Big_Ern
12-27-2005, 07:34 PM
ya, most of the kits use the beefy FJ80 tie rod ends. One of the companies uses some 1 ton chevy stuff tho, but I can't remember which one.

---------------------
Jeeps are like tampons....
Every pussy needs one[f]

TeaBag: '80 Toy "4Runner" on 36" SXs with dual t-cases
Daily Driver: '83 RX-7
Old rig: '89 4Runner 'The Last Ride (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14144)'

highrider_44s
12-28-2005, 08:34 AM
yea just looking at the kits and there looking like a bolt on just like a d60. But i never read if you have to change the steering box or not irc i think the box and the pitman arm would work but i'm not quite sure.

72cruiser
01-05-2006, 06:15 PM
i got 2 spring over front cruiser diffs with the aqualoo sterring arm if your interested.

72 cruiser 35"boggers 4 linked rear onboard air full cage lincoln locked front and rear

highrider_44s
02-01-2006, 03:18 PM
i got 2 spring over front cruiser diffs with the aqualoo sterring arm if your interested.

72 cruiser 35"boggers 4 linked rear onboard air full cage lincoln locked front and rear

what gears you got in them [cheers]