PDA

View Full Version : body lift

Toy_Runner
12-24-2005, 01:12 PM
i need about 1" or 2" of body lift, how hard are they to install, do i need longer steering shaft, gas filler for an 1985 toyota 4x4 std cab long box?

1985 toy 4x4, 3 in lift with 33 pro comp mudders
Craig

Rebulon Refurbulater
12-24-2005, 06:14 PM
buy a kit.....you probly dont need gas filler extension for 1-2 inch.......steering shaft prob okay too....watch the ground wire at the firewall.etc
the kit will come with the correct length bolts which can be a pain in the ass to source.....pm cj mike
You will probly need a torch for heat ...some of the bolts may be seized.........do 1 side at a time......
good luck....i find body lifts to be a bit of a pain in the ass........a fait bit of install time is required

Rebulon Refurbulater
12-24-2005, 06:15 PM
...........cj mike for the kit..........

Big_Ern
12-24-2005, 08:49 PM
yup, goto Cjmike

I did a 3" for my '89 4runner a couple years ago. Real easy, just spray all the bolts the day before with some liquid wrench to loosen them up. Did mine in a lazy saturday afternoon with a few beers.

a good kit like Perfomance Accessories makes will come with all the parts you need to extend the steering, relocate the rad, bumper, etc.

---------------------
Jeeps are like tampons....
Every pussy needs one[f]

TeaBag: '80 Toy "4Runner" on 36" SXs with dual t-cases
Daily Driver: '83 RX-7
Old rig: '89 4Runner 'The Last Ride (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14144)'

Toy_Runner
12-25-2005, 05:46 AM
one of my friends put a 3 inch body on his 91 pick up and now it jumps out of gear??

Craig

Rebulon Refurbulater
12-25-2005, 08:03 AM
gotta extend the shifter and move the boot around to another location and screw it back down

Rebulon Refurbulater
12-25-2005, 08:06 AM
yeah that 85 is now 20 years old.....erns was........abou 13?......age and rust.........can make a huge differebce in dissasembly

Big_Ern
12-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Ya very true about the age. I probably did mine in 02 or 03, so ya it was only 13 or 14 years old. You don't reuse the bolts anyway, so just get a big breaker bar and torque on them till they break free or snap off.

quote:Originally posted by Toy_Runner

one of my friends put a 3 inch body on his 91 pick up and now it jumps out of gear??

Craig

I just bent the shifter on mine in the vise because i Liked it lower rather than adding an extension which makes the throw even longer. Just a personal preference. plus it was easier and cheaper. I think I might have also bent/cut the tranny tunnel a bit and also cut out the middle bar so there just one big opening rather than 2 small ones for each shifter.

Also I found that the stock boot worked great if you flipped the bottom one upside down, and for the top one I kind of pushed half of it inside itself so it would be a bit lower and less restricting.

---------------------
Every pussy needs one[f]

Old rig: '89 4Runner 'The Last Ride (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14144)'

Rebulon Refurbulater
12-26-2005, 02:55 PM
yeah ive seen lots of hack jobs with the boot flipped cause the guy didnt know what else to do.......adding a new piece is free if you know the absolute basics..........and the throw isnt that effected unless your drag racing....the short shift kits lengthen the shifter benieth the fulcrum a very small amount.......the extended shifter helps to keep the factory look in the cab ....personal choice but it either looks factory.....bling ...or hack......if its a beater it doesnt matter

Big_Ern
12-26-2005, 07:56 PM
With a 3" body lift the boot fits perfect upside down. Its not a hack job at all. With both boots on and the steel ring modified it sealed up just as good as factory. With the sr5 leather boot back ontop its didn't look hack at all.

I personally liked the look and placement of the lower shifter. it got it out of the way of the radio & my cb more, and was in a comfortable spot to reach for me.

I'm suprised you haven't told me bodylifts are illegal and will make me get sued in an accident yet[16]

---------------------
Every pussy needs one[f]

Rebulon Refurbulater
12-27-2005, 08:41 AM
yeah the leather boot on top would trim it off nicely

Rebulon Refurbulater
12-27-2005, 08:45 AM
well
Home made ones with threaded rod are unfit......seen lots o that
improperly installed ones are unfit
look urn....HE he....Big Ern
all im sayin is if the guy sounds like hes askin for technical info....give him as much as you can.....and end offf with....I run it or what ever :)