PDA

View Full Version : Propane??

bcjimy
12-08-2005, 08:39 PM
I bought a 91 sub with a rebuilt motor and complete propane system and was wondering if anyone is running this? If so, any does or dont's? I am going to swap all this in January and just want to get everything ready.

Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/bcjimy/200512923925_Santa_2ejpg1.jpg
31.71KB

90' GMC Jimmy
4" BDS - 33's
14BFF
More to come....

RIFF RAFF
12-09-2005, 05:08 AM
yeah don't forget your cheater hose...

pumpkin
12-09-2005, 05:25 AM
Sounds like experience taking[f]

Gonna build me a truck

bcjimy
12-10-2005, 12:41 PM
whats the cheater hose[freak]

90' GMC Jimmy
FOR SALE: 33x12.5x15 Wild Country 70% tread left on 6 bolt gm aluminum wheels: Offers

J20
12-10-2005, 12:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by bcjimy

whats the cheater hose[freak]

90' GMC Jimmy
FOR SALE: 33x12.5x15 Wild Country 70% tread left on 6 bolt gm aluminum wheels: Offers

a cheater hose allows you to fill your tank with a barbque cylinder when you run out.........remember theres no going to the gas station with a gerry can [21]

82 J20 5 INCH LIFT 35'S BLAH, BLAH AND MORE BLAH

surreysinner
12-10-2005, 01:41 PM
I dont mind propaine , but I think you lose power. Heard there suppose to be hard to start in the cold , but so far have alway had it start first hit of the key.

I think having a purge valve makes it better as well.

WHERE DO YOU BUY THOSE CHEATER HOSES FROM? My gas gauge does not work and I ran out of prop last summer.

10 bolt slayer!!

RIFF RAFF
12-10-2005, 03:27 PM
DON'T NOTICE TO MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE WITH THE POWER
STARTS FINE FOR ME
AND I THINK THE CHEATER HOSES ARE ILLEGAL SO HARD TO GET.
YA GOTS TO KNOW SOMEONE...

adrock
12-10-2005, 04:01 PM
i have a crew cab on propane and gas. i find that i get better milage on gas but the propane is still cheaper. biggest thing to worry about is have good coolant in it, -45 or better. even in the summer. otherwise your mixer might freeze. had it happen on my s10 in the summer and have been pretty close with my crew.

as for the cheaper hose you might have to make one. go down to a propane store like superior or something like that. talk to the guys that service tanks and such. they can probly help you there.

kootenaycat
12-10-2005, 08:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by RIFF RAFF

\
AND I THINK THE CHEATER HOSES ARE ILLEGAL SO HARD TO GET.
YA GOTS TO KNOW SOMEONE...

Yah, illegal. Just like handguns will be if the fukin liberals get back in! Everything is illegal 'til you know the right person![8D]

sparkes3
12-10-2005, 08:27 PM
cheater hoses are about 50$ at delta propane .as long as you mount your mixer lower than the water level in your rad it should'nt freeze up on you the lower the better. if it gets really cold hold your pedal down a little bit while starting and it should fire right up.i dont notice any power loss

taz

J20
12-10-2005, 08:39 PM
ya i ve been talkin to alot of guys who are goin prop

tenpack
12-10-2005, 08:58 PM
propane has a higher octane rating, so it can take higher compression ratios without detonation. The octane rating is somewhere around 110. Make you sure get propane for a quality place, cause if you get bad propane that has water in it, you'll get slurry in your tank, and once the propane is taken from the tank, you've got a mix of ice in your tank. Propane runs off pressure, so the more full you're tank is, the more responce you'll when starting up. Propane burns hotter than gas, and is easier to ingite because when its being introduced into the combustion chamber, its in a gaseous state, not a liquid state like gasoline. Propane also burns faster than gas, so 1 litre gas doesnt equal 1 litre propane. The advantages of propane aside from higher octane rating, are that you can run a lot of advance on you're timing.

www.gotpropane.com is a good source of info. [cheers]

Milkman
12-10-2005, 09:47 PM
a cheater hose allows you to fill your tank with a barbecue cylinder when you run out.........remember theres no going to the gas station with a Gerry can

cheater hoses are about 50$ at delta propane

Personally I would not run propane because of the cost ( & smell & headache factor) but since you are why not.
$50 is about what I paid for a hose. I ran propane for about 7 years. They are finicky.

2003 rubicon 99 xj
33's ---------31's
Working on both of them

bcjimy
12-10-2005, 09:59 PM
The cost of conversion is not much of a factor, as the donor truck for my motor is on propane and I am going to steal it for my truck. I want it just so I can drive my truck without having to have a line of credit at the bank. Thanks for all the hep so far.

90' GMC Jimmy

m j
12-11-2005, 09:37 AM
for $5 you can get an adapter to run directly off a BBQ tank without transfering to the main tank. this is the method I use currently. a BBQ tank with the adapter to SAE-06, tie into the feed line. requires a 3/4" or 13/16" wrench

a cheater hose is available in Abbotsford at that well stocked plumbing store on S.Fraserway just west of the malls. they use an adapter (BBQ tank -> fill valve ) and a length of BBQ hose.
to transfer liquid you have to hold BBQ bottle upsidedown (also has to be upsidedown to run off it)

lpg burns slower then gas, which is why it needs a bit more advance at lower rpm. it is also much more dependant on a good timing curve (read crucial you recurve the dist and make certain the advance mechanisms are functioning. the 4 conversions I have done I discovered the advance mech were siezed solid, both mech and vacuum. gas is more forgiving and I was unaware I had no advance, but it is a real dog on lpg)
Fords distributors are much easier to setup as they have an advance plate that limits mechanical that is stamped with the amount of advance. then you just play with spring pressure to adjust the rate.

as LPG has fewer BTU then gas I have no idea why people say it runs hotter (still researching that).
it is 'dry' so it doesnt cool the valves/seats like gas does.

if you can smell lpg strongly you are way rich, it should be 'near' odourless. a gas powered engine will smell more then a properly set lpg.
with it pig rich it is very hard to start. this combined with bad timing can have the fuel buring in the exhaust system (read that to mean 'white hot manifolds')

tank pressure is pretty constant from full to near empty due to the boiling point of the liquid being used as a control.
as you draw liquid from the tank the pressure will lower, as the pressure lowers the liquid begins to boil into a gas until the pressure reaches the boiling point.
boiling point is pressure and temperature dependant, just like the water in your rad is, so that is used to regulate tank pressure.

the number one problem I have run into is the cooling system has to be kept in real good condition. a leaking heater core (even a pinhole) can allow the fluid level to drop enough to put an airbubble in the reg that causes it to freeze up. a super bitch to troubleshoot oddball stuff like that for a newbie like me.

the biggest hurdle is the lack of info on LPG systems.

bcjimy
12-11-2005, 07:33 PM
MJ thats a ton on info, thanks a million. Can I pm you if i need help when I convert?

90' GMC Jimmy