PDA

View Full Version : 83 GMC Jimmy

TimHortonsAddict
12-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Hey guys and gals.

I haven't been on here for a while. The last time I was though I had the same problem.

I have a 1983 GMC Jimmy with all 91 Running gear.

My problem with it is that my damn 4x4 won't engage!

Let me just explain it to make it real clear.

I put the truck in Neutral then shift it into let's say... 4 low. The truck "Feels" like it is pulling harder, and of course in a real low gear (obviously) however the front wheels WILL NOT spin. No matter what.

I checked underneath and everything locks up properly. I've changed the actuator (stupid vacum crap) and checked every hose. They are all in top notch shape.

The xfer case is filled properly, not over-filled nor under.

I've had some people say it could possibly be something to do with the switch on top of my transfer case (I don't know wtf there talking about) and they said it could be something in my hubs (I don't have manual locking hubs though)

So like I said before... the wheels lock in just fine... but they won't bloody well spin at all.

I just don't want to go to the extreme of taking the cross-member out, dropping the transfer case etc to change some switch before knowing that is what it is for sure... and without getting other opinions.

Any help would be great! Or someone that would want to help me drop the xfer case for free! LOL (Or a case of beer?) beer talks right... lol

Just an amateur looking for some help... the truck is my baby..

Thanks folks`

MSN: TimHortonsAddict@hotmail.com

TimHortonsAddict
12-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Here are a few pictures of my truck. Please pardon the URL on them. I advertised for that crap company for 30 days... they gave me a couple thousand bucks.. so why not LOL

I still haven't taken those damn decals off...

Good time's at Stave though :)

http://goldenpalaceevents.com/images/familyofsix01_pic_114.jpg

x

http://goldenpalaceevents.com/images/familyofsix01_pic_111.jpg

x

http://goldenpalaceevents.com/images/familyofsix01_pic_107.jpg

x

http://goldenpalaceevents.com/images/familyofsix01_pic_109.jpg

Denaliboy
12-08-2005, 08:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by TimHortonsAddict

the front wheels WILL NOT spin. No matter what.

i had that problem on mine too

turned out i blew up the motor

if my truck is handicapped can i park by the door?
[31] this drinking club has a 4X4 problem [31]

Always broke
12-09-2005, 07:41 AM
Your vacuum actuator isn't getting enough vacuum just tear out
the vacuum crap and use something to pull the front wheel engage on
worked really well when i had mine the only drawback is you have to pop the hood when you want to engage the front end or spend the money and buy a cable accuator[36]

TRYING TO SCARE THE ON A BOARD NURSE ONE DAY AT A TIME heheheheheh!!

BigC
12-09-2005, 10:09 AM
[wtf] Is going on in pic #4 [?]

http://www.funinbc.com/4x4/links/img/chevy3.gif

HEAVY METAL
12-09-2005, 10:32 AM
thats what happens when you drive lil truck...

-----------------------

I'M AN ASSHOLE.... DEAL WITH IT.... I HAVE....

digger
12-09-2005, 10:58 AM
[15][15][15]

-----

GET OFF THE TIT

12-09-2005, 04:24 PM
its a tug o war

I had the same problem on mine.front passenger side i believe you will see a plunger looking thingy with a cable thingamabob sticking out.I pulled out the cable and held it out with vice-grips.Worked as good as any chevy can.those things should come with vice-grips as a factory option.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Little Miss Muffet sat on her tuffet, until Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked her in the throat.

TimHortonsAddict
12-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Very interesting opinions... That plunger looking thingy is the Actuator ( I replaced it once already )

I'll give pulling it out a try and see what happens.

Pic #4, my friend is pulling me out with his ATV ... that little bugger has some serious power LOL (he works for Fraser Machinery and custom makes everything on it... I think it was around $12,000.00)

And hey Heavy Metal... it might be a small truck... but it's MY small truck :) And even in 2WD, it goes like a mother ...

Take care guys, I'll let you know what happens.

surreysinner
12-30-2005, 03:30 PM
HOld on a second here , back up the bus.

I cant believe im the first to mention this.

GOLDEN PALACE gave you a couple thousand dollars to put those ugly as stickers on you ride?

Im going to there site right now and i will put that shit on all my vehicles,tatoo it, graffitti it, spell it the snow with my pee etc etc for a couple thousand dollars for each piece of art.

How the hell do we get money for doing that? Or are just full of shit?

10 bolt slayer!!

HEAVY METAL
12-30-2005, 04:06 PM
cool dude, glad its YOUR small tyruck.. lets go wheelin yo...

-----------------------

YOUR WIFE LEFT HER PUSSY STINK ON MY GUN...

HOPE IT DOESNT RUST THE BARREL..

Big_Ern
12-30-2005, 04:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by surreysinner

HOld on a second here , back up the bus.

I cant believe im the first to mention this.

GOLDEN PALACE gave you a couple thousand dollars to put those ugly as stickers on you ride?

Im going to there site right now and i will put that shit on all my vehicles,tatoo it, graffitti it, spell it the snow with my pee etc etc for a couple thousand dollars for each piece of art.

How the hell do we get money for doing that? Or are just full of shit?

10 bolt slayer!!

[stupid]

how's it work?

---------------------
Jeeps are like tampons....
Every pussy needs one[f]

TeaBag: '80 Toy "4Runner" on 36" SXs with dual t-cases
Daily Driver: '83 RX-7
Old rig: '89 4Runner 'The Last Ride (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14144)'

TimHortonsAddict
01-04-2006, 03:38 PM
I'll reply in order here...

SurreySinner: you live in Surrey... maybe you've seen my truck around. Not full of shit, they definitly gave me 2506.00 USD exactly to put those damn ugly stickers on my truck, wear some shirts and hats... worked out fine.

Thank god I FINALLY got them off of my truck!

HEAVY METAL: Let's go wheelin? Sure as long as you can pull me out LOL (JK) refer to story below. I like my truck a hell of a lot more now though...

Big Ern: How does it work? Ohhhh baby it works now! I took the battery and tray out and fiddled around with the actuator for a bit. I couldn't quite figure it out.. then it dawned on me what you guys meant by using vice grips. So I grabbed a 2 and a half inch C Clamp and started pulling the round metal part in on the Actuator. (I kind of made a hole in the rubber part, doesn't matter though)

So I got it all clamped up, put the battery and tray back in and hopped in my truck. I turned the bugger on, and for the first time I saw the Wheel Lights light up on the 4x4 shifter!!!!!

So originally I decided I have to try out the 4x4 and make sure those front wheels were spinning.

I headed down to the winery (I know, should go there... but what do ya do?) I had my friend in his Samurai (he was at Stave on Jan 1st) take a couple of hills and mud pits in 2 wheel drive, then 4 wheel to see what he should be able to go through in 4 wheel. Then I tested the same in two wheel, and finally dropped her into 4 low. Sure as the Canucks are doing shitty right now... my little beast finally came alive and ripped up some serious mud :)

Soooo in lamens terms, the truck works REAL well now, and I owe it all to you fine FunInBC folks!

One more thing before I go... that same day I went on the opposite side of the winery down bottom... I proceeded to find out why you don't 4x4 with someone who owns a Samaraui.

I got stuck in a damn mud pit for over 8 and a half hours! LOL

In the end I finally got pulled out by a Full Size Chevy on 36's... Man that thing was a monster.

Shame he dropped his drive shaft and poker a hole the size of a baseball in his damn tranny afterwards...

All right, enough from me.

Thanks every one!

Denaliboy
01-04-2006, 03:52 PM
i think your front axle is broken [f]

problem is that the diaphram that the vacuum isnt working

pull the cable and lock it with vise-grips and see if it works

[31] this drinking club has a 4X4 problem [31]

TimHortonsAddict
01-04-2006, 03:55 PM
(Indipendent Suspension) Blaaa nasty I know. Actually good call though, my front right CV is going on me.

And yeah the Vacuum is definetly screwed, I put my finger over the hose and got no suction whatsoever. I did try the vise grips (Actually a C-Clamp) and it worked like a charm!

TimHortonsAddict
01-28-2006, 07:29 PM
Always Broke? You mentioned something about a Cable Actuator... where would I get one of those? And are they pricey ?