PDA

View Full Version : 700r4 question on failure

dexter302
12-01-2005, 01:22 PM
ok,, i was driving down teh freeway doin 110-115kmh,,and the lock up died,,, then i lost 4th,, then 3rd,, then after slowing down to 60,, i lost 3rd,,, thendown to 30 to exit teh freweay,,, then bye bye 2nd,,, so,, now all i got is 1st,,, but it only worked when you are tryiogn to accelerate,, under compretion,,, it seems liek it is in neutral,,,, ok,, so slow goin home (not far from freeway) so,, doin 30-40 all the way home,,, no weird noises,, no smell,, nothing,,, get tpo a light,, stop,,, seems like nothing wrong,, try to go (1 blk from my house) and nothing,,, wont go,,so i push it off the road,, while it is strill moving,,, hop in,, slam it in d,, and it works,,, get home,,, no fricken reverse either,,, check it today,, add half a litre of trans fluid,, still no worky... common??? any suggestions???,, i ordered a rebuild kit,, but i have an add in teh wanted section,,, which ever comes first.... couild it be a band or clutch pack????

This space for rent
..._______
../_______\
.(]]__o__[[)
|\_o ___o_/|
|_|.........|_|

.............//)
..........,/../ /
........./..../ /
....//'...'/.`
./'/.../..../.....:^.\
('(.......... _/'...'/
\.................'...../
.'\'...\.......... _.
...\..............(
....\..............\

kootenaycat
12-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Well until you said you only had to add 1/2 litre, I was going to say front pump seal blew out like all other 700r4's![15]

I would guess the pump started to fail, low pressure = low governor pressure = no upshift, so you would gradually lose OD, D, 2, 1. Reverse uses higher pressure then all forward gears, so = no reverse. If you have a trans pressure guage, I'd check line pressure, probably non-existant. If that's the case, might as well do a full rebuild as the clutchs don't like to be slipping (from low pressure) or get a used.

I don't regularly work on auto's, so resorting to my tradeschool training for this quick diagnosis![15] I'm sure someone else will have the real answer for ya!

ottoman
12-01-2005, 09:13 PM
here's a diagnoses
it's fugged up and you need a new one

Kevins4
12-02-2005, 10:30 AM
exact same thing happend to me last time iwent to stave, now i've found a new 700r4

dexter302
12-02-2005, 07:16 PM
ok,, what should line pressure be????,, i got somthing at work we use all teh time on steering pumps on big rigs,, so i might be able to rig someting upo

This space for rent
..._______
../_______\
.(]]__o__[[)
|\_o ___o_/|
|_|.........|_|

.............//)
..........,/../ /
........./..../ /
....//'...'/.`
./'/.../..../.....:^.\
('(.......... _/'...'/
\.................'...../
.'\'...\.......... _.
...\..............(
....\..............\

epic3
12-05-2005, 02:46 PM
I measured pressure on my 727 torque flight on the cooler lines and I'm assuming you can do the same but on the side of the tranny if that don't work you should have some oil plugs you can remove and put a gauge there and test you should have at least 70psi I would think but check your Bentley service manual (not Hayes) for a more accurate reading my 727 works anywhere from 50 to 80psi but is obviously a different tranny

kootenaycat
12-06-2005, 07:14 PM
My guess is you will have zero line pressure if it's not moving at all now. Not sure on turbo hydramatics, but probably same as most, Subaru's are about 70 idling in drive, reverse should be way higher, 150-200psi. My bets are the line pressure is nil! Good luck!