PDA

View Full Version : steering wobble

YotaBoy
11-26-2005, 07:53 PM
i have an 88 4runner with a solid axle swap and the ott high steer and when i reach speeds of 50-70km i get a violent wobble and i get thown around in the cab and my truck goes all over the road just wondering what could be wrong and if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to fix it.

ive done a front end alignment last week and the tires are toed in at an 8th of an inch. so i doubt its that unless thats wrong.

The only low thing u should drive is a lawn mower!
(swing)

Big_Ern
11-26-2005, 11:07 PM
most people call it death wobble. and its caused by incorrect caster, Very common on sas'd toys. The alignment shop you took it too doesn't know shit because they should have measured it. Take it somewhere that specializes in 4x4s.

You can try getting a bunch of different sized shims to play with the angle until you get it right, but this will usualy cause a shitty pinion angle so the best fix is to rotate the knuckle.

---------------------
Jeeps are like tampons....
Every pussy needs one[f]

TeaBag: '80 Toy "4Runner" on 36" SXs with dual t-cases
Daily Driver: '83 RX-7
Old rig: '89 4Runner 'The Last Ride (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14144)'

CUSTOM-RUNNER
11-27-2005, 05:27 AM
Yes been there ,if you do use shims to solve the problem get or make steel ones and weld them in place. just my 2 cents.
Good Luck

GLOW ON!!!

tnerb
11-27-2005, 05:04 PM
whats springs are u running and how long of shackle?

YotaBoy
11-28-2005, 04:38 PM
7 inch procomp lift in front and fords in the rear so i have to shim my front axle???? because ive had the truck for a while and it just started doing this. after the alignment....

(swing)

Big_Ern
11-28-2005, 09:48 PM
if it just started doing it after the alignment take it back

and I dunno why you would bother to have a SA toy aligned, especially if you 4x4 it alot.

---------------------
Every pussy needs one[f]

Old rig: '89 4Runner 'The Last Ride (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14144)'

tnerb
11-29-2005, 05:57 AM
and ur shackles are how long? should only run a 4.5inch shackle up front i just shortend mine from 6.5 down to 5 and it made a huge difference truck drives way better. hey big ern are u the guy that bought the toy rears off me in north van i have 93 toy 2 tone grey

Big_Ern
11-29-2005, 06:36 AM
Yup, that was me. I was picking them up for a friend (murd0ug on here)

I haven't had any problems with my shackles and they are 6" or 6.5" long (can't remember which) I've got rears up front though which moves the axle onto the front side of the spring. Every setup is different, there's no hard fast rule for this kind of stuff.

---------------------
Every pussy needs one[f]

tnerb
11-29-2005, 06:43 AM
the 83 rx7 in ur sig gave it away.

u swampers probably absorb all ur death wobble or any death wobble that u get u probably just blame it on the swamper :) well try a shorth shackle or cut and turn ur knuckles. oh and make sure everything is tight up front and ur tires are balanced proerlly

Big_Ern
11-29-2005, 06:56 AM
I'm supprised how few wobbles I actually have. I just threw the steering on and adjusted it by eye a little bit and put my SX's on unbalanced and there are no wobbles or vibrations at all, even up to 140km/h.

only time I had anything close to death wobble was when I broke a leaf in my front passenger spring pack which fucked up my caster and allignment. It was still driveable though only wobbled on pavement from about 30-40km/h and then it was fine.

---------------------
Every pussy needs one[f]

exo_toy
11-29-2005, 12:44 PM
i put in a skyjacker 7" on my runner and ended up changing a bunch of the front stuff around. the way the kit is I ended up with over 2degrees of negative caster and stock is around 2.5 positive. They do that so the front driveshaft is straight with the pinion angle. (which is wrong)
I had to take the shims that came with the leafs out and make longer shackles (in the stock position at the rear of the front springs) in order to rotate the caster back to normal.
If you have negative caster it takes the weight off the steering and the truck wil want to wander in the road grooves real bad.
basically you want to look at the knuckle from the opposite side and if you draw an imaginary line from top to bottom, the top should look slightly tilted towards the rear.
andyour driveshafts should always have the shape of a flattened out "Z" with equal but opposite angles on either end never straight on one end and angled on the other.

Big_Ern
11-29-2005, 12:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by 86toy.

i put in a skyjacker 7" on my runner and ended up changing a bunch of the front stuff around. the way the kit is I ended up with over 2degrees of negative caster and stock is around 2.5 positive. They do that so the front driveshaft is straight with the pinion angle. (which is wrong)
I had to take the shims that came with the leafs out and make longer shackles (in the stock position at the rear of the front springs) in order to rotate the caster back to normal.
If you have negative caster it takes the weight off the steering and the truck wil want to wander in the road grooves real bad.
basically you want to look at the knuckle from the opposite side and if you draw an imaginary line from top to bottom, the top should look slightly tilted towards the rear.
andyour driveshafts should always have the shape of a flattened out "Z" with equal but opposite angles on either end never straight on one end and angled on the other.

thats only true if you are running a regular ujoint at both ends. If you are using a cv style ujoint at the tcase end you want the pinion points up towards the tcase

---------------------
Every pussy needs one[f]

YotaBoy
11-30-2005, 03:01 PM
thanks i bet its the alignment im going to fuck with it this weekend cuz it was fine before and the tires had a major toe out and now there toed in and it wobbles it got better tho i went and beat the piss out of it in some mud got stuck! I burried my 35s so i called my buddy and he came rippin in and got stuck fight beside me. we were stuck side by side. What ever it all good nothin like some middle of the week wheelin oh ya and now it dosent wobble so bad. but im still going to fuck with it.

(swing)