PDA

View Full Version : WTH???

lizard
11-24-2005, 02:19 PM
So the toy seems to be acting up abit, After hunting for 2 weeks,I get a noise kinda like someone hitting the driveshaft(ping) when i take off in first fom a full stop. Also if I was on an angle going threw a mudhole from a stop I would get a metal to metal rubbing noise.it goes away after about 100 feet or so.
wth is that? (steady bearing?) all the driveshaft ujoints seem tight , no slop

2nd problem, It was reving up to 2g when I stopped at a light then kick down to 1(normal) the kick back up to 2g ect ect

its not doing it now but WTH is causeing that?

factor
11-24-2005, 02:20 PM
bad driver

what Willis was talking about

82 yota
11-24-2005, 02:44 PM
check to see if the exhaust is hitting the drive shaft, i had that problem on my truck

cruizer
11-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Coolant....

78FJ40-stump puller 350,4",rhino lined allover
894RUNNER-SAS'd,Allpro high steer,chevs rear,smokin 22re

digger
11-24-2005, 03:14 PM
wipers

-----

GET OFF THE TIT

highwaystar
11-24-2005, 03:31 PM
your muffler fluid and blinker bearings [k]

actually i think mine does the same thing it kinda makes a ping when i reverse or take off with a load in the back. i think its a loose mount somewhere?? let me know what u find out

-------------------------

3VZ-E Fan Club Member #1

3.0 = [36]

BC_4RUNNER
11-24-2005, 03:32 PM
I had the reving problem in my 3.0l v6, it comes and goes and I don't know if it a sesor or the fuel pump going or what but I hate siting at a light and the truck is rev, chug , rev, chug...ect.

If anyone know what this is let us know

"Hey Peter does this look like a Q to you...... giggdy giggdy!!!"

G-rizzle Swank
11-24-2005, 03:38 PM
i would say its your carb but , its efi, is there a throttle body injector sensor? thats what was messed with my dads 350, it would rev like crazy between gears when in neutral.

jakerngr
11-24-2005, 03:47 PM
pull the dipstick out when it's running. does it idle smoth?????????????

hamberger
11-24-2005, 03:56 PM
Probably a dirty TPS. I have a Haynes. We could have
a look how to get inside it and clean it out. Should
be easy.
I'm in Cloverdale. Maybe I could listen to that
plink your talking about from the outside???

ham

SIDEWALKS ARE JUST
ANOTHER PASSING LANE!

'88 4Runner with some secret weapons

lizard
11-24-2005, 04:33 PM
yah ham , my brother tryed listening to it when we hunted but we couldnt pin point it. I just thought someone may have had the same problems an save me the hassle of actually figureing it out.

its not the exhaust hitting , but it may be a brake problem also. I couldnt see any metal wear on the drivshaft parts. and I think the truck has to have a load on it to make the noise but it did it in the bush with no load in it.

hamberger
11-24-2005, 04:59 PM
,k ... if you where in 4wd I'd think maybe the front
d-shafts double cardon was hitting its shroud.
Are the motormounts rotten?

let us know if your idle acts up again.

ham

SIDEWALKS ARE JUST
ANOTHER PASSING LANE!

'88 4Runner with some secret weapons

cruizer
11-24-2005, 06:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by lizard

2nd problem, It was reving up to 2g when I stopped at a light then kick down to 1(normal) the kick back up to 2g ect ect

I'll say it one more time check your coolant

78FJ40-stump puller 350,4",rhino lined allover
894RUNNER-SAS'd,Allpro high steer,chevs rear,smokin 22re

Big_Ern
11-24-2005, 06:40 PM
ya, sounds like what my dad's truck did when we changed the coolant and forgot to add more after it warmed up and went through the system.

---------------------
Jeeps are like tampons....
Every pussy needs one[f]

TeaBag: '80 Toy "4Runner" on 36" SXs with dual t-cases
Daily Driver: '83 RX-7
Old rig: '89 4Runner 'The Last Ride (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14144)'

BC_4RUNNER
11-24-2005, 07:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big_Ern

ya, sounds like what my dad's truck did when we changed the coolant and forgot to add more after it warmed up and went through the system.

---------------------
Every pussy needs one[f]

Old rig: '89 4Runner 'The Last Ride (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14144)'

Thanks Ern,

I have had coolant problems in the past so it could have that to do with it.

"Hey Peter does this look like a Q to you...... giggdy giggdy!!!"

lizard
11-24-2005, 07:16 PM
coolant? are u f'in serious?

and it makes the noise in or out of 4wheel. motor mounts seem okay but its got 200+k on it.

Big_Ern
11-24-2005, 07:19 PM
ya the surging at idle. My dad's is a V6 though, but its worth a quick look.

---------------------
Every pussy needs one[f]

Big_Ern
11-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Some other ideas for the surging: http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416064

---------------------
Every pussy needs one[f]

Camorokee
11-25-2005, 05:16 AM
cracked flywheel can give you that sound as well

real trucks don't have spark plugs

Stetson
12-08-2005, 10:21 AM
My 2 cents of experience....vehicles idle will serge up and down in a continuous pattern if the o2 sensor is malfunctioning (ive nominally seen this in fords), the pirate 4x4 was correct in their situation in being the tps (when throttle is applied the engine rpm drops to zero(which would not be your problem), but in your case, if throttle was only not dropping, check the dash pot, dashpot filter, but if its comming back up check your coolant temp sensor, and also you coolant temp switch, this controls your cold start process which operates the cold start injecter. this turning on may tell your idle to come back up.????? seen each of these being problems...hope it helps

Toyquad
12-08-2005, 01:20 PM
any play in the pinion bearing?

not sure what year your truck is and what engine is in it.... but since u didny say.... im assumiong that the check engine light is off? can you hear a vaccum leak in the engine bay?

I have also had that stupid dhroud rub on my front driveshaft... good place to start.

super dave
12-09-2005, 08:39 AM
sounds like the tps sensor.did you steam wash the engine. had the same problem....take your tps off....there is a black plate that looks sealed...exato the silicon blow dry it out or put it on your heater in your house.....replace black plate reseal.....worked mint.also good idea to remove the whole t-body and clean with a can o carb cleaner and a toothbrush and blow out all the holes

88 runner 87 toy sup turbo

lizard
12-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Its not doing either now....WTH? I cleaned the tp awhile ago, the water level was fine..

neat how a toy will fix itself but strange......

94 toy 22re