PDA

View Full Version : High Steer

tin420
11-22-2005, 06:42 AM
I'm going to buy high steer from marlincrawler.com but when i went there i was confused on what i actually needed to buy...

tin420
11-22-2005, 07:22 AM
ok, i relized it says high steer kit, saw that now, but i also want to buy some knuckles, just wondering where i could find some,what price, and if they would be 6 or 4 bolt so i could know which high steer kit to buy

lincoln locked
11-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Go to www.Sky-manufacturing.com,

1992,4-runner 3.0, 5-speed 456 gears welded in the back 3" body lift 15x35x16 wide boggers,nurf bars,fully loaded,leather front to back

tin420
11-22-2005, 07:58 AM
still cant find anything on birfs...

Big_Ern
11-22-2005, 09:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by tin420

ok, i relized it says high steer kit, saw that now, but i also want to buy some knuckles, just wondering where i could find some,what price, and if they would be 6 or 4 bolt so i could know which high steer kit to buy

As far as I know the 6 bolt knuckles haven't been released yet. Marlin is still finishing up testing on them. Last I heard it was going to be early next year when they'll be released. However you can still get the 6 bolt high steer arms so your ready for when they do come out.

I think the 6 bolt stuff is a little extreme though. If you keep all your stuff torqued down properly you shouldn't have a problem with the standard non-billet 4 bolt arms & stock knuckles.

Also, why do you think you need new knuckles? are your old ones cracked? They're not usualy something that just wears out... But I guess if ya got the $$$ burning a hole in your pocket, go for it.

Also for which high steer kit to get: do you already have an IFS box & pitman arm? or do you just have the box with no arm? cause that determine if you want the type 1 or type 2 highsteer kit.

I think you best bet is probably to call marlin or post a question on thier forum. They're really helpful about making sure you get what you need with out trying to sell you stuff that would be overkill for what you do.

Sky-mfg makes great stuff as well and you can save some tax with them since they're from Oregon where there's no sales tax.

And for Birfs, there's nothing better than the new chromoly longfield stuff www.longfieldsuperaxles.com

DO NOT buy the ProFields. They are junk and actually weaker than stock.

Or if you want local Smurfs are supposed to be very good for the price too.

---------------------
Jeeps are like tampons....
Every pussy needs one[f]

TeaBag: '80 Toy "4Runner" on 36" SXs with dual t-cases
Daily Driver: '83 RX-7
Old rig: '89 4Runner 'The Last Ride (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14144)'

tin420
11-22-2005, 09:04 AM
how and where can i get local smurfs? i remember reading about them in here, but as i recall it takes a while to get them. just need to know the price and who i need to talk to. thnks

Big_Ern
11-22-2005, 09:33 AM
http://trdv.ca/offroad/smurfindex.html

---------------------
Jeeps are like tampons....
Every pussy needs one[f]

TeaBag: '80 Toy "4Runner" on 36" SXs with dual t-cases
Daily Driver: '83 RX-7
Old rig: '89 4Runner 'The Last Ride (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14144)'

StinkFinger
11-22-2005, 02:44 PM
The ott highsteer is a better set up if you are not going with the six bolt nuckles it uses a beefyer e150 tirod ends and heavyer walled tubing for the tie rod and drag link also for renforced birfs i have been toying around with them with some good results so far let me know if your interested travis dose an awsome job on the smirfs aswell

Some people are like slinkies. They arn't good for mutch but they Still put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs

ToyotaHEAD
11-22-2005, 02:54 PM
OTT stuff is nice, but I found it takes forever to get anything from them. But that was last winter, I dunno if they are still backlogged.

I had a: 81' Toyota, 2.5L 22RE, Celica EFI retro'd in, A340H Auto, 10" of lift, TSL 35x16 Boggers, 437 gears, Rear Detroit Locker, Onboard Air, Pimpin BULL BOLLZ!
Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/ToyotaHEAD/2004927174441_100_5984.jpg
12.26spudKB

wheelsonthebus
11-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Ive got the ott setup works well and its local think it was $650 + tax all u need is an ifs box and the rest is a simple bolt in. haven't been able to bend or break anything yet.

YotaBoy
11-23-2005, 05:30 PM
i have the ott high steer and its strong as all hell i ripped the studs off the top of my knuckle befor anthing happened to my hysteer dont get the wrong impression it wasnt the hysteer that screwed up. i colapsed my top knuckle bearing and it put a lot of stress on those four bolts. i drove down eagle ridge with duck tape and a zap strap holding the hysteer to the knuckle DUCK TAPE solves all!!!!!!

The only low thing u should drive is a lawn mower!
(swing)

dlo
11-24-2005, 09:31 PM
i run sky's setup in my zuk with the fj-80 tre's nice pieces.

88 sami

StinkFinger
11-25-2005, 06:22 AM
the E150 rod ends in the ott kit are quite a bit beefyer than the fj 80 rod ends the fj 80 usses the same taper and ball and socet assemblt as a minni truck it just has a lager shank

Some people are like slinkies. They arn't good for mutch but they Still put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs