PDA

View Full Version : Lift springs

bakelite
11-21-2005, 06:45 AM
88 1 ton on duallies...where is the best place to get some lift springs, about 4" I guess (34" tires) or is this the best way to go? I am not going to be carrying as much weight so I can run lighter more flexible (softer ride) springs I imagine. Any suggestions appreciated. [36][cheers]

bakelite
11-22-2005, 05:28 AM
any ideas here people? Not sure what to do, I could take some springs out of the rear pack and use a spacer but it would be pretty long with the added 4"...not a good idea, new springs a good idea?

ShortStack
11-22-2005, 12:13 PM
I have BDS in my truck ...

I went BDS over Rancho cause they aren't as stiff. Had Rancho in our old YJ and I couldn't drive it cause it was so rough.

As to where to get 'em....I got mine at NSOR cuase i knew a guy that worked there. I think lordco is a distributer but i'm not sure. They are for rancho i think.

bakelite
11-23-2005, 05:22 AM
cool, thanks, I got BDS in my cherokee and it rides nice, like a car. Think blocks in the rear will be okay with the stock springs but I need to remove some springs so the blocks would be pretty hugelike?

ShortStack
11-23-2005, 05:29 PM
When i got my blazer it has 3.5" lift blocks in it under stock springs. They were pretty saggy. It'll work, i dont often recommend it cause i'm a snob haha.

C-Dog
11-23-2005, 06:42 PM
hey joe for the back what about a shackle flip just get some spring hangers like the ones at the front of the rear leafs and use those on the rear it is a simple way to get lift and u dont have to use blocks [cheers]

this is chevy country on a quite night you can hear a ford rust

ShortStack
11-23-2005, 09:49 PM
oh ya ... or do a shackle flip lol ... duh.

bakelite
11-24-2005, 05:18 AM
thanks..:)...the thing is it's a one ton, massive spring packs, if I remove some of the springs I need to make up for what I removed plus 4 or so more inches. Carrier springs wants like 1200 bills for soft ride springs(6" lift}..kinda hoped there was a cheaper way. Maybe blocks and the shackle lift? I kinda wanted to stay away from blocks if I could.

ShortStack
11-24-2005, 11:23 AM
NOt sure abotu the flip and blocks. I like to stay away from blocks too. why do you want to take some springs out? What about leaving the packs in and doing the flip? Or atleast till you find some springs?

Most of the companies I've worked for have gotten springs from canada spring in burnaby. Maybe try them and see what they would charge for a set? That'll just mean you have to visit us again [:p]

bakelite
11-24-2005, 12:25 PM
The truck had a huge steel deck on it and I am going to put a light deck on, it rides SO rough, I mean the spring packs are way huge. [15] Thanks for the tip on Canada Springs, I will check with them. With the 34" tires I might be able to get away with a 2" body lift for now as the truck sits pretty high anyway. Front springs are sagging a bit but I could beef them up. Hey an excuse to come down and see you guys is great but I am gonna be broke lol for a bit, got to get something more useful so I can have some fun when I come down without worrying about breakage. Thanks....[cheers]

ShortStack
11-24-2005, 12:50 PM
I understand .... just remember you always got a place to stay down here [cheers]

bakelite
11-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Hey most cool...thanks.[h]

ottoman
12-01-2005, 08:17 PM
go see carrier spring in abbyand you can have what ever you want built from scratch for a good price

bakelite
12-02-2005, 05:13 AM
yeah I got ahold of them...1200 bucks I ain't got right now. Mudram gonna make me a 2" body lift. [36]

Stock tires are 32" and I am just going to 34" so this should work out okay, gonna be riding stiff til I get some soft springs but real trucks are supposed to ride ruff eh? lol[f]

bcjimy
12-04-2005, 07:07 PM
If you want springs cheap, check out ebay. Superlift sells there scratch and dent stuff cheap on ebay. Still comes with full warranty.

built not bought

bakelite
12-04-2005, 08:31 PM
hey cool..thanks.[cheers]

bcjimy
12-05-2005, 09:50 PM
no problem, superlift has tones of shit for sale on there ebay site. here is the link to there online store.

http://stores.ebay.com/Superlift-Suspension-Systems

built not bought

Camorokee
12-06-2005, 06:27 AM
superlift is superstiff

real trucks don't have spark plugs

bcjimy
12-06-2005, 07:23 AM
who makes a good 8" lift front spring for a 90 K5 thats not stiff ?

built not bought

HEAVY METAL
12-06-2005, 10:07 AM
i'm gonna try the bds...

and chris i couldnt agree more...

-----------------------

I'M AN ASSHOLE.... DEAL WITH IT.... I HAVE....

bakelite
12-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Superlift don't show shit for 1 tons, does some other model spring fit?

Stock springs riding pretty stiff anyways maybe gonna have to blow the 1200 at Carrier.[16]

shockless
12-11-2005, 09:14 AM
i wouldnt do a bl if youer gonna tow shiot man, its not reccomended

__________________________________________________ ______________________
87 F250 300/4.9l/ stock running gear/3:54s
mods: k&n filter,3 inch trailmaster body lift,31's,roll bar, warn manual hubs,
"I lifted my truck cause fat chicks cant climb"
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/cleopatera89/snoopdance7au.gif

m j
12-11-2005, 10:24 AM
try talking to Rick out in Chilliwack AbbySpring.
$1200 is obscene retail

for 8" lift on the front of a chev you need 4" lift 'rear' springs
move the hangers and add longer shackles at the correct angle.
every front lift spring sold for a chev that I have seen are junk.
they build them to the stock specs, the stock springs are neg arc so the specs are wrong for a pos arc spring. stock spec is 47" spring with distance betweeen hanger and shackle at 48"
this makes your shackle angle completely backward which make the ride bonejarring.
add to that a stock shackle that pounds the spring into the frame.

the stock spec on a rear spring is 52", using it in the front you get 5" longer spring. every inch longer counts to reduce the arc required.
you will have to move the front hanger forward on the frame and use a shackle that is about 7" long (if you use the stock shackle mount in the frame) to keep the spring from hitting the framerail on compression.

if you go to CK5.com you will find this is a tried tested true suspension setup.
when Carrier spring came on this forum I put all this info into their thread, if they had half a brain they would be making their springs/liftkits to those specs.

the Carrier thread was pretty interesting, I recommend looking it up.

btw, where is the "search" button?

bakelite
12-11-2005, 11:23 AM
thanks mj, good stuff, got a lot of learning to do here. I am going to run the narrow TSL super swampers, 34" and maybe just go body lift(cab only) this summer but I would like to eventually make a monster out of it. I figured 1200 was a kind of rip off. [cheers]

fordi64x4..why would a 2" body lift have anything to do with towing, I am going to run a flat deck, tow from the frame rails...I know body lifts aren't the answer but to get the 2" for the tires I am going to run now it seems reasonable.

FTW

m j
12-11-2005, 11:56 AM
nothing wrong with a bodylift at all in regards to safety or towing.
the chev already has the rad a far bit higher then the fan, a bodylift make this even worse.
a bodylift is far from a simple modification.
linkages must all be changed, brakelines, wiring, transfer case shift can often hit the body before fully engaging 4lo.
just a lot of details to work out.

can you just carve the fenders to fit?

bakelite
12-12-2005, 06:27 AM
I guess I could just carve the fenders they are pretty beat up anyway, I think I still need a bit of room though. Yeah I had to change my linkage and cut the hole for my shifter and trim the shroud on my 3/4 ton but the 2" gave me just enough to run 33's and it had a 4" susp lift already, had to redo the front springpacks to raise the front a bit. Just gonna have to get this done and see how it works and go from there I guess for now. Working on the inside of my shop and the truck at the same time sucks, I gotta get my priorities right and concentrate on one thing at a time. [27] More money would help. [15]

This 1 ton isn't flexy at all so maybe trimming is the best option for right now, I can do other shit as required. Thanks.[cheers]

FTW