PDA

View Full Version : leaky rad

kamloopsyota
11-11-2005, 08:23 AM
well, i figured i had a leaky rad but with a good look over and everything i cant find a leak and i checked the hoses but nothing. when i have the heater on i get some smell. i was told it could be a heater soemthing, its located usually in the cab???? any other ideas on what could be leaking????

I am the righteous hammer of God and that hammer is coming down!

OO-RAH!

11-11-2005, 08:28 AM
heater core.should be an easy fix on a yota.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

....."OK, picture this! I'm naked, hiding inside this refrigerator......"

kamloopsyota
11-11-2005, 09:19 AM
yeah thats it, im just lookin in the haynes book so i know where it is haha

OO-RAH!

kamloopsyota
11-11-2005, 09:21 AM
oh hell thats all it is, haha thats easy enough to fix. any other ideas what it may be if that isnt it????

OO-RAH!

Rebulon Refurbulater
11-11-2005, 09:23 AM
thats gotta be it..........some vehicles have book times of 15 ++ hours to change their heater core! yous lucky

Life is like a shit sandwich.....The more "bread" you have ...the less shit you taste!!!!!91 F-350 shorty box,club cab,.work in progress!
Wheelin',Workin',........oh yeah....Sex!

BC_4RUNNER
11-11-2005, 10:29 AM
I get the smell too sometimes and my engine overheats on big hill climbs (coquhalla to toll booth section) could this also be a heater core issue?

"Hey Peter does this look like a Q to you...... giggdy giggdy!!!"

kamloopsyota
11-11-2005, 11:01 AM
my engine was running like shit and i was checkin everything and it ended up being my rad was pretty much empty even though i checked it not more then 4 days before, i filled er back up and the truck ran fine, but 2 days later it was gettin pretty low again. the heater core could leak that much???

Rebulon- 15+ hours to change one????? im reading the book right now and it says i have to take apart crap undetr the dash and everything, but in the parts view it makes it look like you could just drain the coolant and unscrew the core. ahh well gots to do what you gots to do

OO-RAH!

Big_Ern
11-11-2005, 12:48 PM
if its anything like my 89 4runner its a pain in the fucking ass. You gotta rip apart the whole dash to get at it.

---------------------
Jeeps are like tampons....
Every pussy needs one[f]

TeaBag: '80 Toy "4Runner" on 36" SXs with dual t-cases
Daily Driver: '83 RX-7
Old rig: '89 4Runner 'The Last Ride (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14144)'

kamloopsyota
11-11-2005, 06:31 PM
meh...im used to taking the dash apart, but yeah it is a real pain in the ass. have to wait till next weekend to do it now. ahh well.

OO-RAH!

ToyotaHEAD
11-12-2005, 09:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by BC_4RUNNER

I get the smell too sometimes and my engine overheats on big hill climbs (coquhalla to toll booth section) could this also be a heater core issue?

"Hey Peter does this look like a Q to you...... giggdy giggdy!!!"

If your engine overheats on big hill climbs I would suspect a gummed up rad, or thermostat that doesnt fully open. Or...... Do you have spare tire or something obstructing airflow into the front of your truck?

Also if you have done a motor swap, and stuck with the stock radiator it could be too small.

I had a: 81' Toyota, 2.5L 22RE, Celica EFI retro'd in, A340H Auto, 10" of lift, TSL 35x16 Boggers, 437 gears, Rear Detroit Locker, Onboard Air, Pimpin BULL BOLLZ!
Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/ToyotaHEAD/2004927174441_100_5984.jpg
12.26spudKB

ToyotaHEAD
11-12-2005, 09:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by kamloopsyota

well, i figured i had a leaky rad but with a good look over and everything i cant find a leak and i checked the hoses but nothing. when i have the heater on i get some smell. i was told it could be a heater soemthing, its located usually in the cab???? any other ideas on what could be leaking????

OO-RAH!

If and when ur rad develops "the leaks" that they are so known for, I have one that should bolt right up. Its only 1.5years old.

I had a: 81' Toyota, 2.5L 22RE, Celica EFI retro'd in, A340H Auto, 10" of lift, TSL 35x16 Boggers, 437 gears, Rear Detroit Locker, Onboard Air, Pimpin BULL BOLLZ!
Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/ToyotaHEAD/2004927174441_100_5984.jpg
12.26spudKB

kamloopsyota
11-12-2005, 07:38 PM
oh damn gooder, i just tossed in a can of bares leak, see if that helps at all, atleast its been a couple days with no smell and no drips on the ground, may also explain why the neighbors cat is a no show...haha

OO-RAH!