PDA

View Full Version : 3.0L tune up

highwaystar
11-09-2005, 09:24 PM
never can find much info on this poor engine. Im gonna giver a tune up friday what should i do? just ngk plugs and whatever wires and cap ect that napa has or are their specific brands i should look for. im experiencing power loss i think:( should i do an O2 sensor too?

-------------------------

I had to work to be the jerk ive come to be

Big_Ern
11-09-2005, 09:36 PM
ngk plugs, but only the regular ones, not platinum. Ask any toy mechanic.. they don't recommend platinum plug for that engine for some reason.

NGK 'blues' plug wires are real nice too. Fit real nice and a bit bigger than the stock stuff.

Cap and rotor I just used the basic neihoff stuff from lordco.

O2 sensor for sure. Just get the generic ngk (or bosch) o2 sensor. You will have to splice the wires yourself as it doesn't have the toy plug, but the sensor itself is exactly the same and its about 1/2 the price as an ngk specifically for the toy.

I didn't notice much of a power increase, but I got another 50+km per tank after all the above and a k&M drop in filter on my old 3.0L 4runner

[cheers]

---------------------
Jeeps are like tampons....
Every pussy needs one[f]

TeaBag: '80 Toy "4Runner" on 36" SXs with dual t-cases
Daily Driver: '83 RX-7
Old rig: '89 4Runner 'The Last Ride (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14144)'

trevyota
11-09-2005, 10:38 PM
a new timing belt would live'n her up i bet.

stuckle
11-09-2005, 10:50 PM
dont listen to trevor...

he has no idea what hes talking about[f]

BAM
11-10-2005, 05:44 AM
new fuel filter, could be robbing HP and feul economy.

1990 Toy P/U, Lifted, 35" Boggers.
I've got a Toyota Fetish.

highwaystar
11-10-2005, 06:31 AM
the timing chain and fuel filter are recent, thx for all the other tips guys & big ern[8D]

trevyota
11-10-2005, 07:15 AM
go back to the chev board little one

Big_Ern
11-10-2005, 10:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by trevyota

a new timing chain would live'n her up i bet.

3.0L doesn't even have a timing chain[wako] for once dave is half right[f] Its got a timing belt though, which should be replaced every 100-150k. But replacing it wouldn't affect perfomance unless its skipped a tooth, but thats pretty rare

---------------------
Every pussy needs one[f]

Old rig: '89 4Runner 'The Last Ride (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14144)'

trevyota
11-10-2005, 11:46 AM
good to know that my mechanic buddy' is a fucking idiot, last time i let him touch my truck's

Toyquad
11-10-2005, 01:10 PM
hahah someone giving mechanical advice and they dont even work on there own vehicles?[15]

timming belt, chain, gears...... like ern said wont affect anything unless they are out a tooth. doesnt take a genious to figure that out.

for tune up, i would do cap, rotor, plugs, pcv valve or service the pcv system. air filter and fuel filter.

I also would check everything and see how worn it is and how old it is. I wouldnt just for the hell of it put new parts in that it didnt need. If the check engine light isnt on... and you arent getting a code for the o2 sensor..... it probably doesnt need replacing.

i also agree with ern.... NGK parts. no platinum.... bosch is good for cap and rotor.

trevyota
11-10-2005, 02:35 PM
it's not that i dont do the work on it

but when i had the same problem, that's what he suggested to me.....

Big_Ern
11-10-2005, 03:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Toyquad

hahah someone giving mechanical advice and they dont even work on there own vehicles?[15]

timming belt, chain, gears...... like ern said wont affect anything unless they are out a tooth. doesnt take a genious to figure that out.

for tune up, i would do cap, rotor, plugs, pcv valve or service the pcv system. air filter and fuel filter.

I also would check everything and see how worn it is and how old it is. I wouldnt just for the hell of it put new parts in that it didnt need. If the check engine light isnt on... and you arent getting a code for the o2 sensor..... it probably doesnt need replacing.

i also agree with ern.... NGK parts. no platinum.... bosch is good for cap and rotor.

I diasagree about the o2 sensor. It won't necessarily throw code when it goes bad, it can just read off a bit which will cause the computer to try and compensate with more/less fuel spark whatever to make it 'right' again, even tho everytrhing was okay and the o2 just incorectly told to computer it was wrong.

we replaced the O2 sensor on my dad truck and it helped his fuel milage and power as well.

O2 sensor is one of those things that wears out over time and needs to be replaced on a regular basis every 100-200k or so

---------------------
Every pussy needs one[f]

slacker
11-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Ern is right , imo .... O2 will not always send a code when its toast .

biggest improvement I could suggest is an Air filter . Replace that first ...

and then , because you have been keeping track of plug , cap , rotor and such replacement ????/ you will know when to replace those idems .
come see me if you need some help .

home page http://www.members.shaw.ca/slacker502
Employer http://www.toyotafiberglass.com
/86 Toy 4x4 , soon to come off the road for some major work .
/84 Toy 2wd , soon to be on the road , after some major work .
/90 SRLoaded <sold>

highwaystar
11-10-2005, 03:54 PM
the plugs wires and rotor have about 30k on them (by previous owner my dad just before i got the truck) and the o2 sensor is still original and the trucks gettin up to just under 200km. should i just skip to the o2 sensor? the air filter i will do

Toyquad
11-10-2005, 04:33 PM
you should be able to test the o2 sensor. Im not totally sure how to do that on toyota's........ but i would do that before i replaced it.

super dave
11-10-2005, 08:36 PM
i got 3.0 toy cams...high torgue,,,,better fuel acconemy....my buddy went from 500-525 per tank to 650-675 per tank.....davethemachinist@hotmail.com

super dave
11-10-2005, 08:40 PM
the v6 pcv valves are a cunt to change......toyotas fuckin rock

highwaystar
11-10-2005, 09:04 PM
lol they sure do

what do u mean you have the cams? for sale?

Big_Ern
11-10-2005, 11:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by highwaystar

the plugs wires and rotor have about 30k on them (by previous owner my dad just before i got the truck) and the o2 sensor is still original and the trucks gettin up to just under 200km. should i just skip to the o2 sensor? the air filter i will do

woah, only 30k since cap & rotor etc? that stuff should all be okay then.
replace the airfilter if its dirty... they're cheap. Replace the fuel filter if it hasn't been done at all, and either get the o2 sensor checked, or just replace it. if its the stock one with 200k on it i can pretty much garantee its worn out and not reading correct anymore so I'd replace it.

---------------------
Every pussy needs one[f]

Big_Ern
11-10-2005, 11:15 PM
and ya, PVC valves do suck ass on these engines. i never replace the one on my 4runner (and i don't think the po did either) and it had close to 300k on it

---------------------
Every pussy needs one[f]

BC_4RUNNER
11-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Yeah for a $10 part they sure are a bitch to find. I bought one then couldn't even find where it goes in the Hanes manual so I just took it back... Fuck I am a quiter.

"Hey Peter does this look like a Q to you...... giggdy giggdy!!!"

Murd0c
11-11-2005, 12:12 PM
so why shouldn't u use platinum plugs? I put some in a year ago and never knew it's not recommend. Show I get reg ones or what should I do.

Only in BC you can wheel in the Snow, Sun & Rain in the same day!!

Big_Ern
11-11-2005, 02:10 PM
I had platinums on my old 4runner for a while too before I knew they weren't recomended. Waited till next tune up to get rid of them though.

I can't remember why they're not good, but I've heard this from a toyota dealer mechanic, a private mechanic who deals with mainly toys, as well as on a few toy forums

---------------------
Every pussy needs one[f]

Murd0c
11-11-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm doing a full tue up right now, thanks for the info. Wil put new ones in then. Got my electrical problem fixed, the leafs in I should be good to go now!!

Only in BC you can wheel in the Snow, Sun & Rain in the same day!!

Big_Ern
11-11-2005, 05:08 PM
good stuff reece[36]

---------------------
Every pussy needs one[f]

ToyotaHEAD
11-12-2005, 10:58 AM
K i am gonna be the big mouth to say it.... The best tune up for a Toy 3.0L V6 is to replace it with the 5VZ (The next gen 3.4L V6 found in the newer 4Runners/Taco's/T100's) The 3.0L has to be one of the worst possible motors I have ever seen in a Toyota vehical.

And if its any consolation, I have a 3.0L in my Runner and I only get about 250km/60L of fuel. R150F, 410's on 33's Yet my bro's 3.0L automatic, 410's, 31's gets close to 500km's????

My plugs are a perfect shade, and everything seems to run right. But I suspect my ECU is goin tits up, cuz every once in a while the motor looses what lil power it had to the point where i could literly push it around faster by hand.

And I guess to actually contribute to this thread.... BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EGR STUFF! Mine went for shit and was always injecting EGR and my economy/power was even worse than I mentioned above! ^^

I look forward to my motor swap!!!!

I had a: 81' Toyota, 2.5L 22RE, Celica EFI retro'd in, A340H Auto, 10" of lift, TSL 35x16 Boggers, 437 gears, Rear Detroit Locker, Onboard Air, Pimpin BULL BOLLZ!
Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/ToyotaHEAD/2004927174441_100_5984.jpg
12.26spudKB

Big_Ern
11-12-2005, 04:59 PM
wow thats bad milage. My old 4runner same specs 33 swampers, 5spd, 4.10s and I got 425km/65L tank -- unadjusted for bigger tires, so really it was well over 450kms per tank

---------------------
Every pussy needs one[f]

ToyotaHEAD
11-12-2005, 09:16 PM
*shruggs*

If it wasnt for all the oil and what not it would be a good boat anchor. :P

I had a: 81' Toyota, 2.5L 22RE, Celica EFI retro'd in, A340H Auto, 10" of lift, TSL 35x16 Boggers, 437 gears, Rear Detroit Locker, Onboard Air, Pimpin BULL BOLLZ!
Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/ToyotaHEAD/2004927174441_100_5984.jpg
12.26spudKB

highwaystar
11-13-2005, 12:49 PM
I actually kinda am growing attached to my 3.0L [:0]

I never get speeding tickets, i dont usuallly have anywhere to go anyways so it dont matter if im too slow. its not even that bad really. maybe cuz i have 4:56's? i think ill get headers tho. she only has 200kms on her so id better stay friends with her cuz she will be around for awhile lol.