PDA

View Full Version : SAS Swap

Larry
11-02-2005, 04:04 PM
my front end is fuckered up in my 92 chevy 1500 4x4, im wondering cost comparisons between replacing my whole front end(tie rods, ball joints, pitman arms, idler arms, wheel bearings, axle shafts..... Practically everything), vs. swapping out the whole thing for a solid axle and what you would receommend ?????

Alan Says.....

It's Five O'Clock Somewhere

T.O.
11-02-2005, 04:08 PM
I can't believe your asking that question.[16]

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/toddler/2005316234130_pssst.gif "I'm not here to be helpful"
quote:Originally posted by Mack
We're poking the bear aren't we?

Larry
11-02-2005, 04:18 PM
im a poor ass, i know sas is ultimately better, but im so poor, let me know prices it would cost me to do the actual swap

Alan Says.....

T.O.
11-02-2005, 04:25 PM
I've never done it so i'm of no help, I always bought trucks with straight axles in em'.
i'm sure someone can help though.

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/toddler/2005316234130_pssst.gif "I'm not here to be helpful"
quote:Originally posted by Mack
We're poking the bear aren't we?

Toy_Runner
11-02-2005, 04:32 PM
how did you fuck it up[31][36]

Craig

Tuner Inside
11-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Depending on what axle you want and what kind of suspension and what kind of tools you have acess to. A PYP axle and leaf springs is the cheapest way to go. Do you have a steering box or rack and pinnion steering?

So if you were to grab an axle, springs that would be fairly cheap. THen you have to make a drag link for the steering and a new front drive shaft. All fairly simple stuff to do if you have the tools and a bit of time.

Seeing the way you drive your truck IFS isnt holding up to the abuse. A solid front axle will take more abuse but will still break at some point. I have been fucking with ifs systems for years now. You can make them work but by the time the smaoke has cleared you would have spent more time and money than just doing a SAS.

Money wise I would bet you should be about the same price if you were to buy good parts for the IFS. IFS replacement is a quick weekend project, SAS is a little more involed and thus requires a little bit more time and patcience.

But all is well worth the time and effort to do the SAS.

Just my thoughts.

<center>http://www.members.shaw.ca/hreidie/Caterpillar.gif</center>
<center>When Will We Ever Finish All These Projects!</center>
<center>Revolution!!!!</center>

Larry
11-02-2005, 04:57 PM
thanks alot, if you or anyone else knows someone who could set me up with a solid axle swap or something let me know, open to anything right now as the trucks coming off the road right away because of this

Alan Says.....

crimsen
11-02-2005, 05:15 PM
boyzen on the board here is in kelowna and can hook ya up i would think. see if he will do it.

------------------------
i had something funny to write here but a crackhead stole it.

REDNECK-WELDING
11-02-2005, 06:24 PM
hey im doing a sas on my 91 gmc, everything is new on my stuff. had a out of province inspection on the truck. you can have everything in the front complete make me a offer and its yours. its got new cv's rotors, brakes, ball joints, idler arm, ummm i got a extra acuator for it i think. 3:73 gears

72 GMC 3/4 TON ON 38.5 BOGGERS,SHORTBOX STEPSIDE 10INCH LIFT, WITH CAM INTAKE HEADERS, 3INCH EXAUST. CADILLAC ELECTRIC SEATS
91GMC DIESEL 5.5INCHS ON 35'S , STRIEGHT PIPE

MudRam
11-03-2005, 01:55 AM
Im doin a SAS on my buddies 98 right now, and its a quite a bit of work...and if cash isn't your best friend you would be better off to fix the IFS for now, and save your sheckels for the SAS. My buddies got all the parts he took out of his truck still and would proly part with them for cheap...pm me if your interested:):)

86 Dodge s/b 440/727/205 on 44's...The rest is custom
If you cant DODGE it...RAM it!!!
If its not "SLIGHTLY MODIFYED" its not mine