PDA

View Full Version : WON''T STAY RUNNING

fordgirl25
10-31-2005, 12:45 PM
NEED SOME HELP WITH MY TRUCK ITS 1988 FORD F150 4X4 4.9LITRE. HAD PROBLEMS ON THE WEEKEND RUNS GREAT FOR 10MINUTES THE RUNS LIKE CRAP AND STALLS OUT. HAD MY OLD SHOP LOOK AT IT THEY SAID CHANGE DISTRIBUTOR. THAT DIDN'T MAKE DIFFERENCE, THOUGHT IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN FUEL PUMP CAUSE IT WAS MAKING NOISE WHEN IT STARTED TO RUN LIKE CRAP SO CHANGED THAT AND THE FUEL FILTER, THAT DIDNT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. DONT KNOW IF THE MAP SENSOR WOULD HAVE ANY THING TO DO WITH IT. ANY IDEAS. ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT

ShortStack
10-31-2005, 01:17 PM
have you checked for vacuum leaks? Check the intake mani gasket.

`Erotic, Exotic, and a lil'Psychotic`

duff
10-31-2005, 01:24 PM
sound like once the engine heats up it run like shit then stalls?, with the fuel injection the computer will oporat on a difrent program when the engin is cold, more fuel higher idle ect, just like the choke on a carb, The comp takes input from the coolant temp sens, the intake air temp and the oxagen sensor to decide when to start to control the fuel and timming for better performanc and fuel economy, chances are one of those sensors is out of range (scince it runs good till it heats up)If it just ran for ten minuts then ubruply stalled that could be all kinds of things but scince it runs shity sounds like its geting to mutch or not enugh fuel. If you have a good service manuel see if you can get codes out of the comp. to give you a starting point as to where to look.

DeeDee
10-31-2005, 01:27 PM
Same thing happend with my old truck.
It could be a few things, like Blazergirl said, could be a Vacuum Leak, or could be dirt in the Carb Or water in the fuel. Hope one of these helps [cheers]

:: TRIPLExTHREAT ::

shockless
10-31-2005, 08:17 PM
maybe a sensor? or water

__________________________________________________ ______________________
87 F250 300/4.9l/ stock running gear/3:54s
mods: k&n filter,3 inch trailmaster body lift,31's,roll bar, warn manual hubs,
coming soon:
sas, highsteer, 456's,351 windsor, 38-40s
"I lifted my truck cause fat chicks cant climb"
www.wickidmachines.com
http://www.funinbc.com/4x4/biteme/gas.htm

Big_Ern
10-31-2005, 09:17 PM
Its a FORD, what do you expect [22]

---------------------
Jeeps are like tampons....
Every pussy needs one[f]

TeaBag: '80 Toy "4Runner" on 36" SXs with dual t-cases
Daily Driver: '83 RX-7
Old rig: '89 4Runner 'The Last Ride (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14144)'

dexter302
10-31-2005, 11:24 PM
check your fuel pressure shut off relay,, seen it before on a differnt vehicle doing teh same thing..

This space for rent
..._______
../_______\
.(]]__o__[[)
|\_o ___o_/|
|_|.........|_|

.............//)
..........,/../ /
........./..../ /
....//'...'/.`
./'/.../..../.....:^.\
('(.......... _/'...'/
\.................'...../
.'\'...\.......... _.
...\..............(
....\..............\

Toe Jam
11-01-2005, 06:10 AM
might be the o2 sensor i had an 86 ranger that would run great, then would run shitty and felt as if it was hesitating and would slow down and then kick back in abd run good for another few minutes. i was able to avoid this by putting the foot to the floor everywhere. anywase i changed the o2 sensor and it seemeed to work fine.

Ford First on Race DAy

89Ford
11-01-2005, 12:34 PM
id say coolent sensor

89 F250 4x4 302 dana60, 50 up front, 4:10s

adrock
11-01-2005, 06:03 PM
check and clean tps