PDA

View Full Version : T-case and tranny questions?

godtool
10-23-2005, 07:50 AM
My np208 has the rear driveshaft yoke that slides in\out depending on the susp travel. Can a person remove the tail end parts off an np203 and fit them to a np208 without any special parts? Eliminate the slip yoke with a slip joint? The last time my rear driveshaft broke, all the oil drained out of the t-case[xx(].
I have a np208 in my 81 Jimmy right now, but I was told not to put in the np203 until the np208 blows up. Right now I have a np203 sitting in the garage bolted to a c3 auto tranny (c3 because that what it has casted onto the top of the tranny housing). This np203 set-up came out of a 1975 3/4 ton pick-up. Would the gearing in this c3 tranny be lower then the current tranny in my 81 Jimmy? My 81 jimmy has the np208 mated to a 350 auto tranny. The "other" difference between my current jimmy tranny and the c3 out of the pickup is the jimmy tranny has a casted flywheel cover that is bolted to the tranny with 6-8 9/16" bolts. The c3 just has a tin cover with a couple of screws. Also there is a couple of braces that are bolted to the flywheel cover that extend up to the motor mounts. I could always drill and tap holes into the c3 tranny to use the casted flywheel cover. The purpose I read for the casted flywheel cover and braces is to eliminate the tranny housing from cracking under huge engine torque.

I wonder if I should just sell the np203 & c3 tranny and buy a tailshaft kit for my np208?

Also, I have the 3/4 ton diffs and driveshafts from the 75 Pickup that I wanted to put under my Jimmy this winter. If I put these diffs under my Jimmy I figured I would put in the np203 at the same time or put a slip yoke eliminator kit onto the back of my np208 and shorten the rear driveshaft from the pickup. So if you have done this before, what would you recommend? I'm on a limited budget you know.

Right now, the only $$$ I have to spend is invested in current parts I have: the np203, the c3, and 4 new 15" 35" bfg mt km's. Also my current drivetrain under my Jimmy - rear 12 bolt limited slip, 10 bolt front. I just want the lowest gearing overall, and brute strength[^] I figure with the 3/4 ton 4:10 diffs and the np208, I would have overall the lowest gearing. Plus put a locker in the rear diff too.

Lots of questions I have;) I wonder if you have read this far and as confused as me?

One last question, if I sell the np203\c3 tranny with x-members as a package or seperately, what are they worth? I figure start at $500 obo? Or trade for some 4, 16" 8 bolt rims with swampers, or an np205?[8D] Am I dreamin'?

[drama]

Among other stuff.... here are 3 pics of a back woods cutting\welding job I did with my freind John's on-board welder this past summer. On my first trip after putting in a 4" susp. lift, the front driveshaft would grind on the x-member as I was rock crawling.

Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/godtool/20051023132436_Tystick showing wear mark on x-member2.JPG
10.87KB

Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/godtool/2005102313229_Cutting bumper 22.JPG
19.98KB

Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/godtool/20051023131641_Crossmember done2.JPG
14.1KB

Giver!

m j
10-23-2005, 09:50 AM
I have a dodge np208 that is fixed yoke
I am pretty sure you can use the parts from it on a chev to convert from slip yoke.
I doubt anything from a np203 will work on a np208.

$50 and it is yours

godtool
10-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind, thanks:)

Giver!