PDA

View Full Version : Modding leafs?

MetalMan
10-04-2005, 03:52 PM
I've got a set of leaf springs kicking around to jack my truck up a good 12" or so. But I don't have anywhere near the resources to complete a lift like that. My question is, can I just take some of the leafs out of my big springs and put them in my stock springs to get a slightly bigger arc out of them? Or will the stock springs just re-arc the bigger leafs? I just want something like a 3-4" right now to get my t-case off the ground every time I go through ruts, and I'm thinking the arc that the big springs have might give me that if I only put one or two leafs from them into the stock leaf pack.

I'm not a drunkaholic, occifer...

StinkFinger
10-05-2005, 07:05 AM
right on the monny there sir it will act like an add a leaf to give you some lift it may take a few trys to get the right combo of leafs and expect it to sag a bit after driving for awile

Dear diary jack pot gigity gigity(the family guy)
thats not food thats what food eats (red forman)

Big_Ern
10-05-2005, 09:14 AM
The new leafs that you add in will have a tendancy to break since they are most likely arched more as well as having a stiffer spring rate, so they will take a lot more of the load and stress.

In my Toy I have rear leafs up front with a YJ leaf added in for a bit more height and the YJ leaf broke in half. Mind you I was flexing it to negative arch quite often, and it was a jeep part [f] But it might work for you depending on the leafs and how you use your truck, so give it a try since you got them laying around.

---------------------
Jeeps are like tampons....
Every pussy needs one[f]

TeaBag: '80 Toy "4Runner" on 36" SXs with dual t-cases
Daily Driver: '83 RX-7
Old rig: '89 4Runner 'The Last Ride (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14144)'

BAM
10-05-2005, 10:08 AM
[iagree]but do be careful.. the springs you want to take some out of sound like they have some pretty crazy arc, never wanna force anything toooo much

1990 Toy P/U, Lifted, 35" Boggers.
I've got a Toyota Fetish.

StinkFinger
10-05-2005, 10:51 AM
when you do it use the longest ones posible to add to your old pack even if this means cutting the eyes of of your lift spring and using it as a second leaf

Dear diary jack pot gigity gigity(the family guy)
thats not food thats what food eats (red forman)

MetalMan
10-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Alright, sweet, I'll do it! Thanks

I'm not a drunkaholic, occifer...

ottoman
10-07-2005, 09:33 PM
just exspect to get the ride of a lumber wagon