PDA

View Full Version : XJ+4.5" lift = front end vibe/rumble(UPDATE)

FokkerDude
09-28-2005, 06:06 PM
I've just installed a 4.5' lift on my XJ with new lower arms, a trackbar bracket and a transfer case drop. Now when driving straight or turning there is a rumble/vibration that feels like it's coming from the right front. It sounds like a tire rubbing but I know it's not. I did notice that the exhaust tip now contacts the shackle bolt and there is vibration. Could this vibration be transmitting the length of the exhaust? Or should I be looking at things like u-joints, front trackbar and another front end alignment?

No Wife, No Kids, No Problems.

Moondog
09-28-2005, 06:13 PM
U- Joints. Had the same problem try greaseing them on a regular basis. Also what year XJ & what Axels do you have?

FokkerDude
09-28-2005, 06:34 PM
When greasing the U-joints, how often would you say is regular? Once a month or every oil change kind of thing? My XJ is a '92 with Dana 35C front and rear I believe. (rear for sure)

Moondog
09-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Grease them Once a week and after every time you wheel it. Have you done a fluid change in the rear at all recently? Is it a Limited Slip Diff? If so you can only use fully synthetic gear oil and don't forget the slip additive. Otherwise the clutches in your diff will not get proper lubrication and the diff will rumble the sound will travel from the diff along the drive shafts giving the apperance that it is coming from the front end. I had this problem also.

FokkerDude
09-28-2005, 07:40 PM
The diff fluid is on my list of things to do this weekend. I'm pretty sure that the rear is limited slip and already have some nice Motul synthetic ready to go. And I'll shoot some more grease into the U-joints tomorrow. I'm going to try to get a front end alignment tomorrow as well. The steering wheel doesn't sit straight like it used to. Before the lift I could be doing 140kph on the highway and let go of the wheel with no fear and it tracked straight as an arrow. Now is another story.

kootenaycat
09-28-2005, 08:36 PM
If you changed the LCA's, you need a wheel alignment. The caster adjustment is the eccentric bolt/washer where the LCA attaches to the front axle.

As for the vibes/rumble, with the lift you changed the driveline angles. Lowering the T/C will help, but you may need to try adding tapered shims to the rear axle, and/or have a double cardan u-joint added to the rear shaft.

And yes, the tailpipe rattling on the rear shackle can resonate all the way up the exhaust and sound like it's coming from different places.

Let us know what fixes it, I've got plans for a lift for my XJ in the near future!

Moondog
09-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Mines the same!! I have 5.5" of lift & 31" BFG Muds steering is pretty vague as well I tried aligments (still the same) eventually after trying everything that I and other people could think of I booked my XJ into Pioneer (Jeep main dealer in Mission) There tech looked at it and said just learn to live with it!!! He said it was a common problem with XJ's so I have and now that I am used to it, I have to admit it really doesn't bother me at all (even when I take my hands off the steering wheel and it dives to the right) Best of luck with it anyway [cheers] Dave.

FokkerDude
09-29-2005, 02:51 PM
I found (what I belive is) the source of the problem: ball joints on the passenger side are almost toast. I have a new set now but need to stuff them in. And as ball joints are such a pain in the ass to do when you don't have a decent place to work on the rig, I just may get somebody to do it for me. Hopefully after they're done everything will be cool. And then get an alignment done if it needs it.

There is a transer case lowering kit installed so hopefully it will do the trick. And if it's still a bit wierd, here's hoping that all it will need is shims. The exhaust ended up being an easy fix: instert a long pry bar into the pipe, apply elbow grease and bend the mounting bracket a bit to the left so the pipe doesn't contact the shackle bolt.:D No more exhaust vibes now.

FokkerDude
10-05-2005, 03:22 PM
So I have found out something new today: the front drive shaft is the source of the vibration my XJ is experiencing. A friend at work helped me pull it out and now no more bad vibes. Now the question is what the hell is wrong with the front shaft? Too long? Too short? U-joints are cooked? At least I can still drive it until the problem get's solved.

kootenaycat
10-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Possibly the CV ball/socket seized/binding from rust and/or u-joints in double cardan joint doing same. Since it's (should be) a double cardan front shaft, it can run at a more extreme angle, so probably something seizing up.

I remember replacing front driveshafts on '92-'96ish F250 4x4's when I worked at a Ford dealer for front vibes with hubs locked in. But I think we replaced the single cardan shafts with double cardans? Too long ago to remember![31] Sure wish I had taken the old ones home! Most were almost brand new![27]

FokkerDude
10-06-2005, 05:44 PM
The front shaft is a double cardan. Everything appears to be okay but I have taken it to a driveshaft shop to be looked at. The owner said he could detect a very slight movement when he inspected it but as he couldn't really yank on it at the same angle the joint would be at while installed, I've asked him to take it apart just to take a closer look. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon I'll know if this is the cure for the problem.

There seems to be no single solution for front driveline vibrations. I've read about fixes that entail everyhting from a simple u-joint replacement to a bigger track bar to fully adjustable upper and/or lower control arms. Here's hoping that fixing up the double cardan is my solution. [2b]

FokkerDude
10-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Fuck.[13]

Got the drive shaft back today and the vibration is still there. Guess it's time go to Phase 2 of the diagnostic process. I'm thinking of trying a bigger, adjustable track bar and a new steering stabilizer next.(the two next cheapest options besides new adjustable track bars)I've also noticed that the rear of my XJ is still a bit lower than the front. Guess the add a leaf didn't help the old bagged springs enough. Makes me wonder with the back being a tad lower than the front (approx 1 inch?)if that would have an effect on the front drive shaft angle? Maybe I'll go to Sport Truck tomorrow and get two new leaf packs. They have them for $128 and are built up to accomodate a 4-5" lift.

ez_b
10-08-2005, 12:28 PM
try a steernig shock, to much reading if you haven't

you'd be foolish not too

ez_b
10-08-2005, 12:29 PM
or a seperated tire.

you'd be foolish not too

FokkerDude
10-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Not a tire issue. They're only 2 months old. A steering dampener and a heavier track bar will be the next things to try.

Moondog
10-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Greasing all of your u-joints on a regular basis (as I said before) will be alot cheaper!!!!!
Instead of the leaf packs use a 1" extended shackle on your rear leaf springs they are only $90 a pair from North Shore Offroad (easy install you can do this your self in about half an hour) or you could put a 1" steel lift block under your rear axel for about $60 again from NSOR.
You will never get rid of all of the noises after lifting your XJ unless you are prepared to spend some serious coin. Installing a lift kit is only the begining to make it drive as well as it did before you lifted it you will be looking at spending twice what your lift kit cost. Or you could just learn to live with the noises.

FokkerDude
10-09-2005, 09:16 AM
I have greased every single nipple on my rig.(sounds kind of suggestive:D) I don't think I could grease everything up any more than I already have without grease flying everywhere. There already is a 1" shackle installed but the bottom line is the springs are bagged and they need to be fixed. The balljoint problem that was discovered before is still as issue to be fixed too. Then I can get a front end allignment. I'm still not convinced that the allignment is correct and therefore contributing to the problem. As for the trackbar, the bushings are won out a bit, so they could use some love. I know I may never cure everyting but even if I can get rid of 50% of the vibrations that are happening right now I'll be happy. But as is stands now, it's not acceptable to me.