PDA

View Full Version : Q Jet problem

BC Outdoorsman
09-24-2005, 06:27 AM
Thought accelerator pump was worn out so it got replaced,here's the problem tho.
Cold start in the morning is a real buggar,choke is set perfect.vacume lines are all good.it seems as tho the float bowl is empty,carb is tight,all screws are snug. When it's warm it starts first click, down on the coast it fires first time everytime...at home..no way...any suggestions...other than get a holley?

digger
09-24-2005, 06:54 AM
move to the coast

-----

GET OFF THE TIT

C-Dog
09-24-2005, 07:09 AM
ya just another suggestion dont buy a holley they r crap thats my 2 cents bout that one [cheers] good luck

this is chevy country on a quite night you can hear a ford rust

Toyrantula
09-24-2005, 11:04 AM
We got the same problem on the Camaro.

Fire it and hold the peddle to the floor. Chev parts are cheap.

I`m hung like Einstein
and smart as a horse.

kootenaycat
09-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Somewhere on here I already posted this but can't find it!

So, Q-jets are prone to small cracks in the bottom of the bowl which will empty the bowl into the manifold making long cranking starts. I've never done it, but by using seal-all, it's possible to repair the leak.

BeerBaron Sr.
09-26-2005, 02:10 PM
More info would be helpful,year,auto?,pollution equipt?,
whats it on? Early ones cracked newer ones didn"t .
1st,before running in the morning look down the venturi
pump the accelerator see if it squirts gas,if so tighten the
choke up,if its leaking through the base plugs,when started , it will act like its flooded,[ suity smoke,etc].
Try this first and let me know,its also possible the power valves
are stuck.DONT CHANGE IT FOR A HOLLEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC Outdoorsman
09-27-2005, 05:07 AM
It's an 85 chevy with a 305 auto,full load pkg,everything is still hooked up for aircare crap..no cat tho.
Only get one little burst of fuel when cold,,,,then it's pump time.choke seems to be set where it should be..1/8 inch to close when cold?

kootenaycat
09-27-2005, 08:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by BC Outdoorsman

It's an 85 chevy with a 305 auto,full load pkg,everything is still hooked up for aircare crap..no cat tho.
Only get one little burst of fuel when cold,,,,then it's pump time.choke seems to be set where it should be..1/8 inch to close when cold?
1/8" to close? Choke should completely close when cold and open approx 1/8" after starting (choke unloader). If it starts after pumping it a few times, but not at all if you don't pump it, adjust choke. I haven't heard of newer ones NOT leaking, so it's still possible it is leaking. Only way to tell is when cold, pump it several times and look for a strong pump of gas each time. Even if it is leaking internally, by morning most of the gas will have evaporated from the manifold, which won't cause it to run rich as said above! It will cause it to start hard hot and run rich after sitting for half hour or so.