PDA

View Full Version : Valve adjusting?

godtool
08-21-2005, 11:47 AM
My haynes manual has a long procedure for tuning valves on my small block gmc 400. I figure the "easy way" is to turn the motor on, get it warm, idle till its warm and then back off one rocker at a time untill I hear a "clacking" and then turn it tight a 1/4 turn past the point the clacking goes away. Some people say a 1/2 - 3/4 turn. Anyone have opinions on this method. I want to pass aircare too.

Also adding a litewr of white gas to your fuel helps. My truck passed well last year with premium gas and putting the timing at 8 degrees.

Giver!

ShortStack
08-22-2005, 08:20 PM
I did mine on my 350 with the motor off the way the haynes says. Didn't take that long. You should probably do it in the correct sequence, otherwise you'll probably make it worse.

kootenaycat
08-22-2005, 08:53 PM
Always done SBC's static (engine off). Start with #1 at TDC (compression stroke) and follow firing order, turning crank 1/4 turn at a time. Manual says 1 full turn, but I go 1/2 turn to make sure you don't have burned valves. Engine on works, but messy, even with an old VC with the top cut out.