PDA

View Full Version : towing

Fuzzydog
08-08-2005, 07:39 AM
My vehicle is a 1990 Cherokee Limited - 4l, auto, class III hitch.
The towing capacity is 5000lbs which seems pretty high for a vehicle this size. Obviously if I go that high I would need brakes on the trailer. I do have a 17.5 ft inboard trihull boat that I will likely be towing soon and that suckers gotta be at least 2500 lbs (the trailer is waaaay overbuilt and it's an older boat with tons of fiberglass)

What's the general consensus about running in full time 4WD even on pavement? That would split the torque between front and rear axles and make life a bit easiser on my rear axle, wouldn't it? I'm pretty sure I don't have the D44 rear axle available with the towing package as I put the hitch on myself.

What does everyone else do when towing with their smaller SUV's?

"Your balls, once swallowed, cannot be reattached.....I'm just saying"

allwagon
08-08-2005, 07:56 AM
I have all time on our trailer puller... I would suggest using 4 wheel drive pulling out of the water, but not driving on the highway (dry pavement) in 4 wheel..... Going to get to expensive.

Just what I need, another wagon!

Fuzzydog
08-08-2005, 09:58 AM
my Cherokee has the funky tcase that has a fulltime and parttime 4 high position. I haven't looked into how it works, but I am assuming that the fulltime position allows differential action between the front and rear axles, so binding isn't a problem. I think with that system the only downside would be added fuel expense from turning the front driveline, but that probably won't even matter considering I'm pulling a boat....

Anyone feel free to correct me on the above....

Oh, yeah, and I'm definitely getting smaller tires for when I'm pulling that boat.... stock is supposed to be 195/75/15 and I've got 235/75/15 right now . Since I won't be doing any offroading while towing the boat, girly tires are in for the pavement.

"Your balls, once swallowed, cannot be reattached.....I'm just saying"