PDA

View Full Version : Lifting the Jimmy

viking666
07-18-2005, 01:28 PM
time has come to put new leafs in the rear of the Jimmy. I was putting new rims on her this weekend and discovered that there is a broken leaf(explains the droop on that corner). As is the way I modify my truck, once something breaks, then modify it.

I want to know how other peoples experiences with different lifts are.
the options are as follows:
stock leafs with 3" lift block(current lift, it sucks)
Shackle reverse brakets
shackle reverse bolt on
Big Fucking Leafs
3 or 4 Link with Coil Springs(most work)

I've been looking at Custom Suspension Reverse Shackles and wondering if anybody has tried these out yet. A nice bolt on shackle reversal giving 5" lift with stock leaf springs. link at http://www.customsuspension.com/Gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album44

I don't really want to use big fucking leafs because of the stiff ride and what I assume will be loss of flex. I'm not a mud hound, I prefer trail riding and want to do more rock crawling.

any input would be killer

thanks

control world populations, eat your young.

ShortStack
07-18-2005, 02:34 PM
The guys on Pirate say they haven't noticed much if any loss in flex with the 6" springs. We'll have to go out and test mine ;)

I woulda rather had the reverse shackle with 4 or 6" springs but instead they put 8" rear springs in.

It is a stiff ride. I got BDS which is supposed to be a happy medium. Not bad on logging or pavement roads, unless you hit a bump real fast.

I dont think mines a good comparison either cause my ubolts constantly come loose, the frame is still cracked and my steering sucks ass

i know not much help, but i'm one hella pain in the ass hahahahah

MundusPax
07-18-2005, 04:59 PM
if you are looking for shackle flip kit check these guys out
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm
I got mine from them and it's sweet, quality made

'96 Chevy K1500, 6"lift, 35"A/Ts, etc...

Bad day wheeling is BETTER than a good day at work

ottoman
07-18-2005, 06:06 PM
shackle flip is the way to go
it improved the ride in my suburban and in a short wheel base truck it'll pich your pinion up to help out with drive line angles

m j
07-18-2005, 06:26 PM
flip the shackle
I am guessing the reason you are looking at kits is you do not have any friends that weld?

you would still need new springs as well so it doesn't really solve your current dilemma

pick a flip that has the least advertised lift, the more the flip lifts the more it fawks your driveline angle

viking666
07-19-2005, 05:34 AM
no, the reason I'm looking at kits is because I'm lazy when it comes to working on my own rig. I do need new leafs regardless, but I only want to buy one set of leafs, not buy a pair, install them, then remove them and put in a bigger set. Just making up my mind now while I still can.

I have sitting here at my shop a 1ton cube van with 55" leafs and some really nice front perches that would work great as a shackle flip perch. I will ofcourse not use the whole spring pack, only what is needed. The 55" leafs will also move my axle back the 2-3" that I have room for.

C-Dog
07-19-2005, 10:06 AM
hey magnus remember i still have those front springs at home let me know if you want to do something with them [cheers]

viking666
07-19-2005, 05:24 PM
ofcourse, what size where they again?