PDA

View Full Version : changing to cast iron bell housing

barracuda
06-18-2005, 08:02 PM
I have an np435 currently with the aluminium bell housing. i just took out the tranny and trnsfr cse.
the bell housing has the hole for the fork made larger so it can be taken out i guess?? anyways the clutch fork was hooped and the TO bearing pretty sad .
Instead of reuseing the aluminim BH and replacing the fork and bearing I was going to replace the BH wih my cast iron BH from my other np435 from my 300 6 cyl. I notice the fork and bearing are a different type will this make a difference as long as i replace it all? the engine it is being mated to is a 351 w
I notice they have a seperate listing for a 300-6 fork and a 351w fork
if it will make a difference any one have a spare fork

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/barracuda/card.gif

"A level" mobile welder
mig,tig,alum spool,stick
rates start at $65 an hr
welder rental from $125 per day

The way to a mans heart is through his zipper!!!

m j
06-18-2005, 08:26 PM
I am betting the fork and bellhousing need to match

boyzen
06-18-2005, 08:33 PM
the fork will have to match the BH and the release bearing otherwise it should be just fine.

money costs too much!!!

jeepingpw
06-19-2005, 06:29 AM
Lay the bell housing down flat & measure from the engine face to the trans face. Ford used 3 different heights (I had the 2 cast & 1 alum ones Ford used & measured them ). I know as I tried to replace my Alum with a cast, both on a 300 , & my clutch (pressure plate)binded with the bell housing. I had to get a different (thinner) pressure plate as Ford has 5 different Heights of pressure plates. We went to the local parts wharehouse & pulled out all pressure plates listed & measured them all & then compared them to the 3 bell housings I had.

'42 GPW , & '85 F-350 Crew Cab 2" lift, 35's .'88 4Runner Vernon, B.C.

barracuda
06-19-2005, 08:20 AM
well i just measured them and they appear to both be 6 inches and they are both ball stud. . not really sure why ford used a different type of fork and throwout bearing on the six(the clips that hold the bearing to the fork are on the bearing on the six as opposed being on the fork).Perhaps the throw isnt as long on the six? i guess i will check to see if the ratio is different on the forks and the ball stud is the same height.

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/barracuda/card.gif

"A level" mobile welder
mig,tig,alum spool,stick
rates start at $65 an hr
welder rental from $125 per day

The way to a mans heart is through his zipper!!!

jeepingpw
06-19-2005, 02:36 PM
I'd lay the forks side by side & compare, & measure throw out bearing height as i don't think it would matter where the clip is, as long as you use the matching arm/bearing. Some bell houseings had clips & some had ball studs. Don't know if they were differnt heights?

'42 GPW , & '85 F-350 Crew Cab 2" lift, 35's .'88 4Runner Vernon, B.C.

Punk in Drublic
06-20-2005, 10:42 AM
I think it all has to match up. i just finished a battle and a half getting the right T/O bearing for mine. never had a problem a few years back bu this time i had to go back twice for the throw out and one for the clutch disk. they tried telling me my tranny doesnt exist.[16]

fetus: its like veal but human