PDA

View Full Version : Steering Stabilizer

mista fitz
06-16-2005, 08:32 AM
uh... yeah

how did I survive this long without one? seriously.

it's like.. a world of difference, and no more crazy death wobble either.

Honky
06-16-2005, 08:56 AM
I need one of those.

--------
HWA(Harry Whiteass), AKA Kevin

mista fitz
06-16-2005, 09:14 AM
are you serious, you don't have one?

man, what a difference, I wonder if I should have even gone for the double shock?

STranger
06-16-2005, 09:22 AM
if you have death wobble or other problems,the stabilizer wont fix the problem,only mask the symptoms.check over your balljoints,tie rod ends and tires to be sure there isn't anything that's going to kill you in the near future,cause that sucks.

i dont need people to get me,i just need people to get out of my way

if you put 20 grand into a 30 grand buildup,you dont have a $20,000 rig-you're just $10,000 short of having anything.

Big_Ern
06-16-2005, 09:39 AM
I was just about to say that a steering stabilizer is just a bandaid fix.

I dunno if its a problem for jeeps, but on Toys proper caster angle usually helps to eliminate death wobble.

Daily Driver: '83 RX-7
Old rig: '89 4Runner '[i]The Last Ride (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14144)'

New Rig: '80 Toy "4Runner" soon to be on 36" SXs with dual t-cases [8D]

Honky
06-16-2005, 09:42 AM
What I checked so far:

Ball joints Ė good

My tow in is 1/8 of an inch. Do I need more?

Brand new Tie rod and the ends seem ok

Wobble was on the old tires as well

Anything else I can check ?

--------

STranger
06-16-2005, 11:01 AM
caster angle is a big one.where did you measure the toe,that may be ok or it could be a little light.wheel bearing problems can cause that too.sometimes a warped brake rotor can do it,or a rim with a bit of a bend.

if you put 20 grand into a 30 grand buildup,you dont have a $20,000 rig-you're just $10,000 short of having anything.

Honky
06-16-2005, 11:15 AM
I do have a shock but I think itís worn out. There is resistance in the shock but Iím not sure how much there should be.

Tom I measured from center to center front and back on the tire. With wider tires should I have more of a tow in?

--------

STranger
06-16-2005, 12:17 PM
yup.
1/8" at the rim is ok,at the outside of the tire look for 1/4-3/8".the bigger the tire the more you need.i run the 44s at 3/4-7/8" at the outside,untill the fuckin balljoints bust then it tends to change around quite a bit.

got rockwells?

mista fitz
06-17-2005, 07:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by STranger

if you have death wobble or other problems,the stabilizer wont fix the problem,only mask the symptoms.check over your balljoints,tie rod ends and tires to be sure there isn't anything that's going to kill you in the near future,cause that sucks.

yeah, I had already gone through the list, and I'd get the wobble VERY infrequently,(like once in a month, or LESS) it would have to be just the right bump, at just the right speed, braking lightly... many odd factors I thought.

everything in the front end is new/replaced, like, within the last month. .. rotors and rims are good and straight too.

the steering stabilizer was more of an upgrade than a 'band-aid' fix. .. although my jeep tracks pretty straight.. (for a cj5!) this really keeps down the bump steer, which I think is a nice upgrade.

mista fitz
06-17-2005, 08:20 AM
ooh, I just remembered... I'm bracing up my power steering box in the next week or so, that should be the final touch to getting the front end nice and toight.

STranger
06-17-2005, 09:03 AM
good,i've seen too many people use them to cover up a front end that's about to fall apart.

-------------------------

sometimes when i'm tired i'll be rude to people...the rest of the time it's just because i think it's funny.

mista fitz
06-17-2005, 10:24 AM
thanks for lookin' out for me Tom ! the front end is fine, its the rest of the truck that's held together with chewing gum and duct tape! :p lol!

wade and cleatus
06-17-2005, 08:10 PM
:DWhat kinda ride is this[f]

~You dont want to know me~

wade and cleatus
06-17-2005, 10:10 PM
I think the jeep boys went to bed already[32]

~You dont want to know me~