PDA

View Full Version : cherokee rear diff plug....WTF????

Fuzzydog
06-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Are they rubber from the factory?? or is this a 'custom' mod on mine?

1990 Cherokee limited.
Went to check the fluids yesterday and I see this rubber plug on the rear diff. I thinks "cool - they put a rubber plug in the hex head bolt to keep the crud out. should make it much easier to get it out"
until I pop it off and gear oil starts coming out - it IS the plug!

I don't think I like this too much. It may be ok for grocery getters, but I'm startin' to wheel this thing and I don't want to be risking losing the plug. is there any sort of kit to replace it with a metal one? I guess I could always get a diff cover that has a screw in plug...

on the other hand - it was kinda nice to be able to check it so easily. On my Audi, those suckers (and it has 3 diffs) get seized in there like you wouldn't believe. Very common to have them with stripped out hex heads. Only way to get them out then is to drill, grind and retap.

"Your balls, once swallowed, cannot be reattached.....I'm just saying"

bakelite
06-13-2005, 09:30 AM
Oh yeah the rubber plug surprise [15] mine's the same, I don't worry about it. I think some models had a screw in plug but not sure which one's, wouldn't be hard to fix, a welding shop could weld a plate on it and thread a plug in.

"The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them."

Fuzzydog
06-13-2005, 10:29 AM
hey! I have a welder and I'm not bad...although those diff covers are kinda thin....

Bakelite, love that sig line!

Are you up for some local wheelin this summer? I can't do anything right now as my brake lines are still on the shortish side. I'm picking up some longer ones(along with a vacuum booster and mc - goodbye ABS) in Van on june 24th. Gonna get em in that weekend, then need to flex this rig out. I wouldn't mind going on a little day trip with another rig there.....just in case....you know?

any suggestions? and do you know the area west of williams lake at all?

Chris S
06-13-2005, 12:17 PM
The rubber plug holds up fine as long as it hasn't dried out.
If you are having it welded up anyway have some plating added to it and turn it into a decent guard

http://members.shaw.ca/mudpup/images/mudpup_s.jpg

bakelite
06-14-2005, 05:30 AM
Hey Fuzzy, sure would be up to going wheeling with someone else for a change, the long walks back thru the bush to get towed out are starting to suck a lot. [15]
I dunno the williams lake area at all but i'm sure we could find something, let me know, I work tues to sat graveyard so sundays are best for me.[36]

"The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them."

midway90xj
06-14-2005, 02:28 PM
that is factory my friend dana 35C but don't worry about it I have never had any problems.

Duct Tape... it's like The Force it has a light side and a dark side,and it holds the whole Universe together...

Fuzzydog
06-15-2005, 11:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by bakelite

Hey Fuzzy, sure would be up to going wheeling with someone else for a change, the long walks back thru the bush to get towed out are starting to suck a lot. [15]
I dunno the williams lake area at all but i'm sure we could find something, let me know, I work tues to sat graveyard so sundays are best for me.[36]

Ok, I'll touch base with ya when my brake lines are long enough - should be Sat the 25th. Maybe we can head out for a run on Sun the 26th?
BTW, do you have a CB? I have a couple in my basement and wondering if I should get around to installing one...does anybody actually use those anymore?

epic3
06-15-2005, 08:20 PM
My old Cherokee had the exact same thing same with my friends last two and we wheeled plenty and never had a problem I'd leave it it makes for real easy fluid swaps when you wheel or tow lots.
Phil

bakelite
06-16-2005, 05:43 AM
Cool, yup, need a CB man.[36]