PDA

View Full Version : Shock mounts

epic3
06-02-2005, 06:04 AM
Here's the question today folks whats the best way to mount shocks onto the axle of my Scout (rear) I had some grade 8 u bolts welded onto the diff at first and after a month of wheelin and plain drivin also both sheared off not the welds but the bolts what do I do?
Phil

STranger
06-02-2005, 06:17 AM
those bolts would have been in single shear-that puts a lot of stress right at the head of the bolt(where it it welded on)and will eventually bend it back and forth enough to break it.you need to have the mount in double shear(both ends of the bolt supported)but this usually means turning the bottom mount 90* to where it is.if this is practical,then two plates welded on that the shock can sit between is the best bet.if not,a mount can be fabbed that will support the other end of the bolt and then weld a nut onto the diff where the bolt head is now so you can get the shock between the diff and mount and put the bolt through into the nut to hold the shock.

i dont need people to get me,i just need people to get out of my way

if you put 20 grand into a 30 grand buildup,you dont have a $20,000 rig-you're just $10,000 short of having anything.

wade and cleatus
06-02-2005, 06:17 AM
Wow, i'd say your shocks are either too short or too long! My toy did the same thing because the shocks were too short, except it was the top mounts that tore out of the frame. All good once i put the proper shocks.

~A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush~

StinkFinger
06-02-2005, 06:50 AM
tr some breez shock mount pins there cheep and i would have to agree with wade check your shock length seems like they might be bottoming out on you

Dear diary jack pot gigity gigity(the family guy)
thats not food thats what food eats (red forman)

wade and cleatus
06-02-2005, 08:54 AM
I gotta agree with Tom too, i always wondered about welding the bolts to the frame or axle. When i re did mine i put longer bolts all the way through the tube of the frame.

~A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush~