Here are the pics of my backyard lift
79 bronco coils and 91 Dakota rear leafs

Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/fuzzydog/2005527164045_before.jpg
58.34spudKB

Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/fuzzydog/200552716412_after.jpg
71spudKB

took it for a drive down the road last night without any shocks in the front. LOL! That could be fun if you don't throw up.

Gonna work on some shocks and sway bar disconnects this weekend.
Damn I hate these small town auto parts stores - never have what you need in stock - even Cambodian Tire doesn't have the stuff I need.

"Your balls, once swallowed, cannot be reattached.....I'm just saying"

Fuzzydog
05-27-2005, 10:44 AM
forgot to add, I've left the running boards on for now, but the mudflap part of them (alum) is going to be a severely limiting factor in larger tires. They just go too damn far into the wheel well.

Jeepnut
05-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Looks good...lose the running boards[36]

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/harry whiteass/2004325174524_stir.gif
Your village called their idiotís missing

HEAVY METAL
05-27-2005, 12:15 PM
[iagree]

-----------------------

JESUS DID IT FOR THE CHICKS

Chris S
05-27-2005, 02:56 PM
looks great buty for god sake ditch those running boards ;)
Now you just need some 31s for under there.

http://members.shaw.ca/mudpup/images/mudpup_s.jpg

kootenaycat
05-27-2005, 07:00 PM
I was looking at a cherokee on the hoist at work this week, thinking of how easy it would be to lift one (when I sell the dirtbike and buy one!). Looks like a longer shackle on the rear would get 1-2" of lift, combined with lift springs should get the 5" I want to clear 32" tires. As for the front, I would buy lifted coil springs along with spacers. With 5" of lift, do you need to lengthen the control arms? The upper looks easy enough to make an extension, and we have some control arms off a 3/4ton Dodge 4x4 that may work, otherwise fabbing complete arms is also another possibility.

bakelite
05-28-2005, 04:55 AM
looks good man, maybe you should drop your transfer case about an inch.

In The Zone
05-28-2005, 06:12 AM
Hard to tell the difference[f]

seriously lose the runnning boards or they will likley come off at the most incovienent time

loooks better though [36][cheers]

HMMMMMMM
ITS a FORD

Jroc
05-28-2005, 06:28 AM
ya ditch the boards,[iagree][iagree] it looks like your from alberta!!

I could drive what you drive , but i hate walkin!

Got Bronco?

Fuzzydog
05-28-2005, 12:01 PM
You asked for it....you got it! The boards are gone. And I scored some used 31's today - getting mounted right now.

pics later.

Fuzzydog
05-30-2005, 07:44 AM
pavement princess no more! lift complete, running boards gone and 31" tires on the original gold rims.

Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/fuzzydog/2005530134017_smaller jeep.jpg
64.64KB

still need to get some decent shocks - I was at the FLAPS this weekend and they had a book there that listed compressed length, extended length, stroke length and mounting styles for shocks. The same is available on line (www.gabriel.com) and tonight I am going to disconnect the shocks and do some mad flex in my yard to figure out max extension and compression, then just order the appropriate shocks. If anyone can think of a reason not to do it this way, please let me know.

Next thing will be to get rid of that stupid abs system - gonna retrofit a non-abs (vacuum assist) braking system. there are some good write ups on the net

kootenaycat
05-30-2005, 06:00 PM
If you take the ABS out, be sure to remove all evidence of it EVER having ABS. IF you have to go through a VI, it will fail for ABS inoperative! Personally, I like ABS, they do occasionally fail, then you have normal brakes, but when working they allow you to steer when braking hard on ice/snow. If you really don't like having ABS, just unplug the HCU or pull the fuse, that way you will still be able to pass a VI.

Also, when testing out your flex (to measure shock length), be careful you don't bust a brake hose with the shock disconnected!

Fuzzydog
05-31-2005, 04:04 AM
That's the thing about this freakin Jeep ABS - it DOESN'T fail neutral to normal brake operation. there's a bunch of stuff on the web about lawsuits and recalls because of this system. If the abs system fails, you lose assist. because of this set up, failure of some seals will cause brake fluid under pressure to go to the wrong places in the system, affecting normal braking. This is my interpretation of what I have read AND my seat of the pants driving this thing.
I called Gary's Jeep in Maple Ridge and asked if they had a complete non-abs brake master/booster assembly for a 90 cherokee....
she sez " your getting rid of the ABS, eh? we do lot of those"
thanks for the tip about removing all evidence of ABS. I will do that - one less thing to go wrong when wheeling.

Chris S
05-31-2005, 03:18 PM
now THAT looks like an XJ should

http://members.shaw.ca/mudpup/images/mudpup_s.jpg

Metallica1
05-31-2005, 07:53 PM
yeah it looks much better than a stock one... but id say lose those gold rims yuck[xx(]

Squishy
05-31-2005, 10:15 PM
lets see the flex pictures!!

IT'S A BUNCH OF TREE-HUGGING HIPPIE CRAP!

Fuzzydog
06-01-2005, 05:56 AM
ok, here's a couple of flex pics - remember all I was doing was measuring extension/compression and I still have to deal with brake lines.
On both the front and rear I got 23" max extension and 17" compression. I ordered some wrangler front shocks (14.5/24.375) for the front and 95 F150 shocks (15.875/26.375) for the rear. they should be here by the end of the week. oh yeah, ordered a wrangler rear brake line too.
Any ideas for the front brake lines?

Lose the gold rims?!?!? Those are mad bling....I'm keeping my eyes open for others...

Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/fuzzydog/200561115346_flex 2 small.jpg
76.33KB

Image Insert:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/uploaded/fuzzydog/200561115422_flexing.jpg
64.9KB

DURANGO
06-01-2005, 06:14 AM
not too bad...

BRONCOS LOVE MUD*****

Fuzzydog
06-01-2005, 07:16 AM
After I get the new shocks and brake lines in this week, I'll get some true off roading pics up...

Jroc
06-01-2005, 10:41 AM
looks much better now[36]

WARNING!
This site may or may not contain meat or other animal by-products,lewd behavior,breif nudity,exsplisive language,and toyotas
veiwer discretion advised
18A

Made.U.Look
06-02-2005, 04:52 AM
yeah it's getting there:D

"I want it higher, and I want it louder!"

jeepxj89
06-09-2005, 12:43 PM
nice truck man, same way i lifted my first xj, except i used a block in the rear. what did u do with the dakota leafs to make them fit?

Fuzzydog
06-10-2005, 05:56 AM
It was pretty easy to make the dakota leafs fit - I kept the cherokee main leaf (don't even have to remove it) and used the dakota main leaf as my second leaf and all the rest of the dakota springs under that (except the overload spring, but I still might put that in later after I do something about drivelines)
I just took apart the dakota leaf pack and held the main spring up to the cherokee main spring with the centering pin holes lined up and marked where to cut off the eyes on the dakota main spring.
I started off by using my sawzall (my 2nd new best friend) but switched to the grinder cuz it was taking too long. none of the other leafs needed to be cut.
I reused my original ubolts and got some spring clamps from a local spring place - I thought they were used to stop the leafs from separating sideways, but apparently they are quite important in reducing axle wrap.
I got this idea from this website

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

I used the F150 and Wrangler shocks and made my own bar pin eliminators by using some appropriate sized square tubing with 1 side cut off.

epic3
06-15-2005, 08:39 PM
To get even more flex out of the leafs can you wire wheel and gring the individual leafs smooth and then grease them up good.

wade and cleatus
06-16-2005, 06:51 AM
I found that motorcycle chain lube works good for lubin the leaves. You can spray it right between and it has good penetration[^]

~You dont want to know me~

FokkerDude
07-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Your XJ looks good and the way you lifted it sounds pretty straight forward and fairly inexpensive. Nice work.

No Wife, No Kids, No Problems.

Fuzzydog
07-05-2005, 06:10 AM
Thanks 'dude. I've actually since taken off the 31 AT's (gold rims)and put the 235 MT's (white rims) on and been doing some wheelin. Maybe one of these days I'll remember the camera [16]
I'm overall happy with the flex, but by next year i definitely think I'll be buying a bolt in 5 inch or so lift. I want MORE!

I gots a wife, gots kids, gots problems