PDA

View Full Version : info needed - eBrake cables for Caddy calipers

m j
05-14-2005, 06:28 AM
converting the 14ff to discs.
I have zero experience with the ebrake cable.
I am learning from online sources that I will need to begin actually using the ebrake to keep these calipers in adjustment, that sucks.

who has a link to ebrake cable supplier? share please.

I had dodge d70 under my truck and the cables were modified to run with the dodge stuff.
from the ebrake pedal the lines run down the outside of the DS framerail to a balance bar type homebrew cable hookup.
so ideally I need cables or cable extension that will allow the caddy ends to come up to the DS framerail.
the stock Fleetwood that I got the calipers from runs in that direction but they will not come close to making it to the frame.

you used to be able to get this type stuff made up locally at AutoMarine Electric but NAPA bought them out.

I won't be offended if this gets kicked to the Newb section.
of course I searched but came up dry.

thanks

*caliper part number is fenco slc178 but you will have to get junkyard cores to get the ebrake parts, had to add some tech*

pumpkin
05-14-2005, 06:50 AM
I would think the best way would be to modify the cables tat are stock for the truck.

lizard
05-14-2005, 07:27 AM
yah u could probley could get the pieces to join them from a cable place or maybe even Princess auto

m j
05-16-2005, 05:38 PM
thanks guys
I will post up what I end up with
anyone fall into a solution let me know please
Lordco sells Absco stainless brake cables but has no literature or even a catalogue ??

STranger
05-17-2005, 04:06 AM
lordco also has universal cable kits where you put the ends on and cut to length.i'm not really impressed with the quality,but it could be a solution.

i dont need people to get me,i just need people to get out of my way

if you put 20 grand into a 30 grand buildup,you dont have a $20,000 rig-you're just $10,000 short of having anything.

wade and cleatus
05-17-2005, 07:48 AM
Ive made cable ends before out of brass rod. drill it,insert the cable' flare the end and fill it with braze or solder. It worked fine, never busted.

~A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush~

m j
05-22-2005, 06:38 PM
I just hit a snag.
the caddy calipers will not go over the 8lug rotors (new rotor, new pads)without persuasion of some kind.
last time when I used the 3/4 ton calipers it worked out.
I think the pads are for a truck application, I will check tomorrow if the caddy pads are thinner.
of course I finish painting everything up at 5:17 when Lordco closes at 5

Broncoo
05-22-2005, 07:12 PM
why not go with a t-case mounted ebrake? and forget about the wheel e-brakes

trying to get where i want to be

for sale:
3 ford np203-205 doubler adapters
REDUCED
$400each OBO!!!

m j
05-22-2005, 07:46 PM
I was trying to use off the shelf OEM parts
the goofy mechanical adjustment thing is pretty much the first nail in the caddy
the fitment issue is becoming the final one
I will see if the correct pads are 0.2" thinnner...

m j
05-23-2005, 09:13 AM
does anyone local carry these
http://www.allprooffroad.com/images/stories/parking_brake_calip_l.jpg

Broncoo
05-23-2005, 07:08 PM
is that the one that high angle driveline sells?

i'd check heavy equipment and farm suppliers you may get lucky

i wanna see pics when you are done

for sale:
REDUCED
$400each OBO!!!

m j
05-23-2005, 08:14 PM
that is the one H.A.D. uses
it is made by Hayes Brake
allpro-offroad wants a whoppin' $90usd for it

I found the ford rotors are a bit thinner then the chev ones 1.25 vs 1.3
and the correct pads are a bit thinner
but if my calculations are close it looks like the caddy uses 1.125" thick rotors

1_ton_k5
05-25-2005, 08:42 PM
I don't have firsthand experience with the caddy calipers, but i haven't heard anyone say they worked very well at all either. Most guys have said it barely works and is more of a pain than it's worth.

The driveline brake looks like a better alternative IMO. For the short term I'll be running a mechanical line lock on my truck. Won't pass a VI, but will prolly squeak me through a roadside if it comes down to it...plus it'll hold the truck when on the trail.

Rene

81K5,6.2,465,205,60,14,4.56,40's

Broncoo
05-25-2005, 08:44 PM
well mj if you find anywhere else that sells that mechanical brake pad setup let me know i don't want to run my e-brake at the wheels

for sale:
REDUCED
$400each OBO!!!

m j
05-25-2005, 09:09 PM
I will look into buying a stack of them to see if Hayesbrake will sell them
the website used to say 'wholesalers only' but I havent approached them with an idea for more then 1 or 2
a fair distributor would be nice to find

Rene I find it hard to believe Cadilacs came with a non functioning parking brake.
they are completely different then anything I have pulled apart before and therein may lie the problem.

Big_Ern
05-25-2005, 09:46 PM
I've heard they're really hard to keep in adjustment. Thats running them on Toys. You might have better luck if you can rig up a proper e-brake cable that can has enough movement to keep them in adjustment -- the stock toy e-brake doesn't seem to pull far enough for them to work very well, and most guy end up having to manually adjust them regularly.

Daily Driver: '83 RX-7
Old rig: '89 4Runner 'The Last Ride (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14144)'

New Rig: '80 Toy "4Runner" soon to be on 36" SXs with dual t-cases [8D]

78bronco
05-25-2005, 10:04 PM
I think/beleave that studabaker avnti rear cailpers work the best for what you are doing also here is a link to a site that puts kits together with Ebrake calipers http://www.blackbirdscustomtrucks.com/index.html

HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE A BIGBLOCK

In The Zone
06-01-2005, 05:39 PM
I have had experinec with the caddy rear disk s and they are a bugger to keep adjusted

seems to me the early vettes came withthe same type setup when they first went to rear disk

a real bitch to keep the pb adjusted right either to tight or to looose

kind a like a surrey girl

HMMMMMMM
ITS a FORD

ShortStack
06-15-2005, 09:27 AM
ya i agree with ya, the calipers are also a bitch to adjust. they are screw in type, which sounds easy enough, and they are depending on the corrosion and if you can screw it in without ripping the boot thats always in the way. unless i'm thinking of the wrong year or style you're using. lol.

~Jaime~
77 K5 - Big, black, ugly and all mine :)
`Erotic, Exotic, and a lil'Psychotic`

godzuka
06-15-2005, 03:56 PM
you can get universal e-brake cables from lordco.

Definition of survival of the fittest:
If beer kills brain cells it should only be killing the dumbest and slowest of them, therefore making me smarter with each beer.

m j
06-15-2005, 05:10 PM
quote:you can get universal e-brake cables from lordco.

yup, but at the MapleRidge location they do not even have a catalogue to look up the application or specs on the Absco universal ones.
hard to order with zero info