PDA

View Full Version : 88 Cherokee Lift

joshjohnbaun
05-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Hey, im new to the site and to the jeep area, and was wondering what size lift would I need in order to fit some 31" mud terrains on without causing many problems... and also, an estimated cost in CAD? i was thinking something around a 3" lift? Also... if anyone knows where I could get some used tires near kelowna BC that are in good condition for farely cheap, could ya please let me know... thanks

Josh

Lift it, fat chicks cant jump

Chris S
05-13-2005, 04:24 AM
3" would be ideal. You can actually fit them with no lift (asuming you springs aren't shot) by chopping the fender openings larger, but you won't get much up-travel.

Cost depends on what you want to spend and how much work you can do yourself. You can bang together a lift from wrecker parts for under $100. Figure $500 for an "off the shelf" kit.

http://members.shaw.ca/mudpup/images/mudpup_s.jpg

joshjohnbaun
05-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Hey, thanks... yeah thats what i assumed it was guna cost me for a lift, till lookin for some tires tho, not really interested in puttin out like 250 or 280 a tire... consideren im still in high school.... but if you find anything or know of any tires that are in decent shape let me know please :)

Lift it, fat chicks cant jump

DeeDee
05-13-2005, 12:52 PM
I have a 9" lift on my cherokee, and have 35's. You could easily put on bigger ones. For used tires call around, I got 2 used 35's for 60$. Call everywhere in town, Im sure you will find someone who gives a good deal. You can buy a lift for around 100$ if you install it yourself.

"UGLY ARMY: THERE AINT NO I IN TEAM, BUT THERE IS A M AND AN E"

Fuzzydog
05-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Chris and Deedee, where can I find these lifts for $500 or less.
I called NSOR and they told me $1300 for a kit...I'm assuming that's uninstalled cuz I told the guy I would come pick it up, if I decided to buy it....
I hear that F150 springs are good for the front - prolly pretty cheap at a wrecker too, but what about the sway bars and control arms - don't they need relocating brackets?

"Your balls, once swallowed, cannot be reattached.....I'm just saying"

DeeDee
05-13-2005, 01:51 PM
I pm'd u fuzzy dog

Chris S
05-13-2005, 06:33 PM
For 3" you can use stock control arms. the expensive kits replace everything, which is best but not absolutely needed if you are on a budget.
For the sway bar links you can replace the bottom bolt with a pin and either cut and lengthen the links or just weld some ready rod to the top threads.

I have:
Rear - An extra leaf from a comanche added under the main rear leafs, plus 2 degree shims.
Front - Grand Cherokee V8 springs (1" lift) and 2" spacers
shocks - bought used
control arms - bought used
Sway bar disconnects - modified TJ links with pins in the bottom.

Total spent around $250.

http://members.shaw.ca/mudpup/images/mudpup_s.jpg

Taz Jeep
05-13-2005, 07:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by DeeDee

I have a 9" lift on my cherokee, and have 35's. You could easily put on bigger ones. For used tires call around, I got 2 used 35's for 60$. Call everywhere in town, Im sure you will find someone who gives a good deal. You can buy a lift for around 100$ if you install it yourself.

Yes, but yours is a full size Cherokee probably with a body lift :D, XJ's need to have a suspension lift.
I paid $600 for my 3.5 inch R.E. superflex kit. it came with sway bar disconnects and I added in a transfer case drop. Not having all the tools I needed to do the job I paid a mechanic $300 cash to fit it. This is an awesome kit and I would recommend it to anyone. [36]

http://members.shaw.ca/tcbulmer/smilies/canadaflag%20smiley.gif

Moondog
05-13-2005, 07:52 PM
i have to agree with my bro (tazjeep) on this one!!! Don't even bother trying to make do with an inadequate lift kit, i have and it really pisses me off. I have a rusty's 3" lift kit (fitted by the previous owner)& a 21/2" pro comp add on fitted by sports trucks giving me a total of 51/2" of lift and 31" bfg's sounds good works good until you compare it to my bro's his is a smaller lift yet he still has more clearance than me!! his also flex's a hell of alot better which really pisses me off even more. Whats my point behind all this i hear you ask? Save your money and build your rig right do it once and get it right first time as you will save your self a fortune in the long run. Oh yeah my rig is a 98 xj soon to be having a teraflex long arm (coil over conversion) 6" lift fitted to it Bushwacker flares and to be fully locked and running on 35" Boggers hopefully i will get the build right this time (only time & trails will tell). Best of luck with it anyway hope to see you on some trails one day Dave.

DeeDee
05-14-2005, 07:37 AM
Mine is Suspension :)

Taz Jeep
05-14-2005, 12:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by DeeDee

Mine is Suspension :)

Cool, found this website you might be interested in [cheers]
http://www.ifsja.org/index.shtml

http://members.shaw.ca/tcbulmer/smilies/canadaflag%20smiley.gif

DeeDee
05-14-2005, 12:18 PM
lol, that is crazy. Where is Uwharrie National Forest???

FokkerDude
07-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Regarding the installation of a good lift in kit form (ie: ProComp)approx. how many hours would it take to install? And would installation be easier with access to a lift?

No Wife, No Kids, No Problems.

ShortStack
07-08-2005, 05:43 PM
check out http://www.hot4x4.ca/gallery/album273

Leo and the guys had his done in a day

FokkerDude
07-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Think they might like to tackle another?:D

No Wife, No Kids, No Problems.

ShortStack
07-10-2005, 12:53 PM
We have work party's all the time :) I'll ask and see what they say.

fourbyfourer
07-22-2005, 12:43 PM
[quote]Originally posted by FokkerDude

Regarding the installation of a good lift in kit form (ie: ProComp)approx. how many hours would it take to install? And would installation be easier with access to a lift?

My friend just got a 3.5" pro comp lift on his 91 cherokee and the shop took 7 hours to put it on...its an alright kit not great though

My chrome bush gaurd adds 10" of gound clearance

mista fitz
07-22-2005, 02:04 PM
I did mine in the garage, with VERY limited tools.. and no lift of course... and it only took a couple leisurely days. It's pretty straightforward.