PDA

View Full Version : cherokee hitch install - what's the trick?

Fuzzydog
05-10-2005, 07:44 AM
I got a hidden hitch installed on my cherokee, but can't see how I can put the bumper back on.
It looks to me like if you put the hitch on, you can't get at all the bumper bolts.
If you put the bumper on first, you can't tighten up all the hitch bolts...
Is there a special trick to this? who's BTDT?

Thanks

"Your balls, once swallowed, cannot be reattached.....I'm just saying"

cherokeeinprogess
05-10-2005, 08:43 AM
beats me mine was already installed when i got it

1990 Cherokee lifted on 33 12.5's ~~ fully locked

Chris S
05-10-2005, 11:33 AM
I never installed that particular hitch, but for me re-installing the bumper with any hitch has always involved creative angles and scraped arms.
Can you get the two outside bolts on each side? that's all I had on my old XJ for years with no problems.

http://members.shaw.ca/mudpup/images/mudpup_s.jpg

Fuzzydog
05-10-2005, 12:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Chris S

Can you get the two outside bolts on each side? that's all I had on my old XJ for years with no problems.

Yeah, I was thinking of just using the outside bolts. I don't think it will really matter, unless I get rear ended and even then....

I looked on the hidden hitch website and they have pdf instructions but they don't talk about the bumper at all.
It may be that you take off the bumper, put the bolts in place in the frame rails (pointing down), put the bumper back on and THEN bolt up the hitch. This of course means that the bolts have to be 'captive' and not able to turn in the frame rails. I guess those are the inserts you were talking about, Chris.
I think I might try that - I'll make up some plates this weekend.

mogster
05-10-2005, 02:47 PM
once you mount the center support bracket for the hitch,
put the bumper back on
then the hitch
worked for me

beeker
05-10-2005, 04:57 PM
im an installer if u need help lemme know beekerbeeker@hotmail.com

bakelite
05-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Mine just has the three bolts on each side, the center part is not bolted...hauled some heavy loads with it, seems fine.

Fuzzydog
05-11-2005, 02:13 PM
hmmm...almost sounds like I may have some mutant hitch
3 bolts on each side? mine has 2 bolts that go up through the frame rails, then there is a piece of angle that bolts to the body at the center rear, and then bolts down into the hitch.
I took another look and I'm pretty sure I got it figured out - it's just not gonna be easy.

Beeker, this hitch has a 2 inch receiver - does that mean it is class III for sure, or could it be lighter duty? The only sticker that was on it was the hidden hitch sticker.

beeker
05-12-2005, 04:38 PM
mostlikely its a a class 3 if u have a number off of it u can get it checked to be sure what class it is for sure

Fuzzydog
05-13-2005, 02:31 PM
thanks, I'll see if there's a # stamped into it

jeepxj89
05-18-2005, 07:35 PM
well what i did for mine is,get some really strong careage bolts, then get a piece of flatbar, cut it to the width of the frame rail inside, then cut a hole for the square head of the careage bolt to fit through. put those in, if u did it right the carrage bolt should be in the flatbar, and the flatbar should not be able to spin inside the framerails sort of acting like a lock. bolt on ur bumper then bolt on the hitch. hope that made some sense

Fuzzydog
05-19-2005, 06:54 AM
Yup, that's what I'm working on now. I was gonna weld either the bolts or nuts to the flat bar, but the carriage bolt idea sounds a whole lot better. Could even slot them for better adjustment of the hitch position.

mogster
05-20-2005, 02:15 AM
mine came with 3/4" nuts welded to flat bar

Fuzzydog
05-24-2005, 07:53 AM
done! Welded some nuts to some flat bar and it went in easy.

I was quite impressed that my welds actually held

Thanks for all the tips/advice