PDA

View Full Version : electrical problem?

matrixwoman
05-09-2005, 05:15 AM
details:

power cutting in and out. mainly at night when using headlights. lights go very dim. when i step on the clutch, power is temporarily restored. when i come to a red light and let my clutch out, my truck dies. my radio is choppy. i will occassionally hear clicking near my glove box. the seatbelt and emergency brake lights come on and off. wipers will go very slow.

at first we thought it was my altenator, but then my friend thought he had it narrowed down to my combination switch (controls my headlights, highbeams, wipers). he replaced the whole piece and it seemed fine at first, but problem still occurring.

help!

1988.5 sami currently undergoing intense transformation....

NickB
05-09-2005, 05:26 AM
sounds like a short.have fun following the harness.try disconnecting one item at a time and see if the problem goes away.may help in narrowing down the short.

8inch

StinkFinger
05-09-2005, 05:53 AM
your alternator might be packing it in as well

I had thought of alot of things and this wasent it

Quote of the week:
Dear diary jack pot gigity gigity(the family guy)
thats not food thats what food eats (red forman)

82 yota
05-09-2005, 12:04 PM
[iagree]

rs
05-09-2005, 01:10 PM
i had this problem before, it was the power wire from the alternator, it was old and cracked. i replaced it then my alternator regulator went, now im always charging at 18 volts

83SJ

godzuka
05-09-2005, 02:07 PM
mine did that when the alt packed it in.

Definition of survival of the fittest:
If beer kills brain cells it should only be killing the dumbest and slowest of them, therefore making me smarter with each beer.

Chilliwack
05-09-2005, 03:08 PM
[stupid]

I had the same problem in the months before the spudspudspudspudspud trip last year. It was really frustrating because everything would seem to work fine, and then the charging system would stop working and everything would die. The next day it would be fine etc. I replaced the alternator with a one from the wreckers ($50-$60 I think it was) and have had no problems since.

One other thing you may want to check first is where the ground cable bolts to the block. If this connection is loose the battery will not charge properly either.

Even if I don't have anything polite, intelligent, or even remotely on-topic to contribute, I try to post anyways.

leftfield
05-09-2005, 07:12 PM
yup, most likely the alt, I'd get on that first. good luck

jnyblazer_69
05-09-2005, 07:22 PM
[iagree]

"all be sober in the morning,but you will be ugley for the rest of your life

HEAVY METAL
05-09-2005, 09:30 PM
have you checked the tightness of the altenator belt? if its slippin it wont turn the altenator proprly cauzing low charge

-----------------------

JESUS DID IT FOR THE CHICKS

tazuki
05-10-2005, 03:15 AM
[7]Take it to a Battery place and get them to do a load test on the battery to see if there is a short inside one of the cells , also they can put the same test on youe alt. This is usaly a free test... [cheers]

"What for you bury me under the cold cold ground"

matrixwoman
05-11-2005, 11:34 AM
thanks so much everyone. well the past four days have been hell. we have searched high and low. tested every connection, replaced the combination switch, alternator and battery. and lo and behold, last night we saw a little iddy biddy ground wire not connected. the one from the engine to the body. so glad it was found, but man, what a lot of work and that's all it was.

again, appreciate all of your advice!![36][36]

wade and cleatus
05-11-2005, 11:42 AM
[c] I never touched that wire.

~A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush~

rs
05-11-2005, 03:52 PM
i always start thinking of the worst thing that could go wrong with elctrical. im trying to learn to keep it simple

83SJ

matrixwoman
05-12-2005, 12:10 PM
i know! all you hear is horror stories with electrical, so you would never think simple! [8D]