PDA

View Full Version : god dam freakin jeep

Ironman
05-05-2005, 06:20 PM
doesn ant or has anyone had a problem with a 4.2 missing and cannot find the problem? all plugs, wire, cap rotor, distrbutor, intake and exhaust manifold gasdkets, vacuum lines replaced and cinched wit zipties, carb was rebuilt 6 monthe ago, so if anyone can help out or reccomend a good( and somewhat cheaper shop) to sent the POS to pm or post it to me

ths alot and cheers to all and to all and great beer

Dam i just realised I am the smartest man alive!!!!! and fuck am i dumb

kootenaycat
05-05-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm not a Jeep guy (yet!), so not totally familiar with them.

I would do a compression test after you've checked all that you have. If not, try this.

Does it miss all the time? If so, isolate which cylinder is not firing, do this by a) unplugging an injector at a time if multiport injection, or b) use sparkplug pliers and heavy welding gloves and pull each spark plug wire one at a time to find cylinder not contributing.

Next, swap plug wire and spark plug with one next to it and do power balance test (above) again to see if same cylinder is dead. If ok, swap injector if multiport, also test injector connector with noid light to see if getting a signal. If carbed, do a compression test to see if a low cylinder is cause. Last, check for worn lobe on cam.

Good luck! And if all else fails, sell Jeep and buy a Chevy!:D

cjMike
05-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Look up NUTTER BYPASS ON GOOGLE and it will tell you how to fix the carter pos carb that is on it ! good luck!

I WAS IN A CAR CRASH OR WAS IT THE WAR ? BUT IVE NEVER BEEN QUITE THE SAME

DanB
05-06-2005, 03:55 AM
what do u expect from a jeep... they would never be perfect... sell it and get a chevy then it will be all good :D

fatman
05-06-2005, 10:28 AM
for around$100 you can do an ignition upgrade with a ford distributor cap, rotor,adaptor base and coil which will make a huge difference.The cap is almost twice the size of a stock 4.2 cap and eliminates crossfiring almost completely,plus a better hotter spark so much that you have to gap your plugs .045 compared to .30 stock.It is just like a jacobs ignition upgrade but for a hell of a lot cheaper. i did this and it eliminated all misses,rough idle,and stumbles.You cant go wrong with this upgrade.good luck

76 cj-7 yellow lifted on 35's, with rear axles that like to pop

Ironman
05-06-2005, 01:30 PM
its an 89 with a carb, did a comp. right away and its all good there, which ford parts would work for that upgrade,from which vehicle i mean

Dam i just realised I am the smartest man alive!!!!! and fuck am i dumb

fatman
05-06-2005, 07:07 PM
i believe it was an 84 ford f 150 with the straight six you will need the distributor base/adaptor,the cap,wires,rotor,and coil.You can pick it up at the junkyard for probably $30 or it cost me $90 at lordco there are lots of articles on the internet about this swap and i would check just to be sure my date of ford is accurate and it shows you pics of how to install it,the only fabbing you have to do is a mount for the coil as it is completely different.like i said it was the best cheapest upgrade i have ever done,huge huge difference[aahh]

76 cj-7 yellow lifted on 35's, with rear axles that like to pop