PDA

View Full Version : opinions?

Fuzzydog
03-31-2005, 05:12 AM
Ok, first of all I know everyone who is anti-Jeep is gonna chime in and tell me not to by a Heep... nuff said...but....

I am looking at getting a 4 door 4X4 suv and have been scoping the late 80's Cherokee's, Pioneers, etc. Seems they can be had for pretty cheap.

From those in the know, anything in particular to watch for on these? Most seem to have pretty high mileage - how do they hold up?
any auto tranny probs?
most have a 4l I6 - bulletproof?

I do all my own mech work, how is the parts cost - reasonable?

Thanks for any advice and please keep the flames to a minimum - I haven't bought it yet!

I should add that it's not going to be a mud bogger (on purpose) but a family exploring wagon. Mild lift, reasonable tires (mostly for ground clearance)

"Your balls, once swallowed, cannot be reattached.....I'm just saying"

bakelite
03-31-2005, 08:02 AM
I've had a 90 Cherokee for a couple years, the 4 litre engines are great. Other than a few electrical problems, I think it's a great rig. 4" lift, 31" tires, handles like a car. Mines an automatic, no problems ever. Got about 350 k on it, my buddy has over 500 on his. I've noticed the Cherokees rust in odd areas, mine rusted around the door handles, fixed it cheap. Parts from Jeep are costly but aftermarket parts are okay. I never had to buy much for mine other than normal shit like coil, alternator....I think in 92 they have the high output 4 litre. Another thing I would want if I bought another one is the cooling system with the radiator cap, mine you have to fill with the overflow tank. You can upgrade this from a wreckers tho..easy to do. I used mine for a daily driver and not much off road, exploring backroads kinda thing...never failed me yet.

Personally I would look for a base model one, less options, less problems. Good luck!

Fuzzydog
03-31-2005, 08:39 AM
Thanks, that's just the kind of insight I was looking for.

"Your balls, once swallowed, cannot be reattached.....I'm just saying"

Chris S
03-31-2005, 09:48 AM
91 and newer get the High Output 4.0 (more horsepower, slightly lower torque). The important part of this IMHO is you get a Chrysler computer and an open cooling system. Both are much easier to work on than their AMC counterparts.
The peugot tranny in AMC Cherokees is a bit weak and is a PITA to do any work on.
The auto tranny in all years is near bullitproof. As long as you don't bake it by overloading it pulling a trailer it will outlast the Jeep. Nearly all supposed tranny problems can be traced to a faulty Throttle position sensor.

Watch for rust in the rockers and behind the flares.
Watch for cracks where the pillars meet the roof and around the door hinges.

Chreokee parts are cheap at the wreckers. I got an entire new front axle for $200. It was actually cheaper for me to buy axles with the gears I wanted than to buy the gears.

Some 88 and 89s came with a heavy towing package that included a Dana 44 rear axle. Others have a D35 (weak) or a Corporate 8.25 (stronger, but fewer locker choices).

As long as it has not been overreved the I6 lasts a long long time.

before and after on my current round of mods:
http://members.shaw.ca/bsusut/Xj-before-and-after.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/mudpup/images/mudpup_s.jpg

midway90xj
03-31-2005, 05:12 PM
91 XJ 6" lift 33"BFGs 256000k no major eng/tranny (auto) repair did blow the crap out of 2 d35c axles my 44 is waiting for gears all and all I love this family/exploring rig go for it you won't regret it...

90XJ 33's

Tsunami
03-31-2005, 07:10 PM
Not a jeep owner but from what i've been told with the unibody that the 90's models are built stronger to take the flex and abuse of off roading just what i've heard[cheers]

Can't talk now the squirrels are watching

Chris S
03-31-2005, 09:47 PM
97+ have the unibody upgrades
It's not hard to strengthen them either.

http://members.shaw.ca/mudpup/images/mudpup_s.jpg

imported_n/a
04-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Buy the cherokee and you wont regret it, my 4.0L is on like 260,000ks going strong,there awsome trail rigs with justa little mods, parts are pretty cheep being domestic and pretty much all the parts are interchangable with grand cherokees,tj,yj and other xjs.

92 XJ 37" Goodyears
-In peices