PDA

View Full Version : pinion angle

Lucas
03-30-2005, 03:08 PM
who has had they're Knuckles cut and turned on their front diff?Where did you get it done?How much did in cost?
I have a dana 60 chev front needed to be done in near future,tryin do figure what it would cost.
Also how much(turning) is to much before pinion bearing doesnt get any gear oil,and if anyone has done it how do you "wedge"the pumpkin side?

P.S. come on somone must have a jig to do it in theyre garage and want to do it for beer[9]

Broncoo
03-30-2005, 03:21 PM
grind off the welds holdin the inner C on pound em off with a BFH then clean em up stick em in the oven as hot as she gets figure out where you want them positioned and go slip em back on (think soapstone) they will cool very quickly so you really don't have much time to play around with caster angles make sure it is where you want it then weld em up again

trying to get where i want to be

for sale:
3 ford np203-205 doubler adapters

Lucas
03-30-2005, 05:37 PM
sorry bare with me .Are the knuckles pressed onto the ends of the axle tubes?I guess you would have to be careful grind'n welds eh.
how could you weld it back up and be 100% accurate.Im tryn to picture how I would be making the jig,more or less worried about caster/camber being the same on both sides + making the knuckles square to the end of the axle tube.Have you done this?
Im confident in my welds but not 100% sure about gettin it all squared up.I would like a vetran to do this and watch.

MORE anwsers please

dentedup
04-05-2005, 04:00 AM
you can only adjustfor caster. the axle tubes are pressed into the knuckle but after you grind the weld off they can be hammered off. careful not to grind to deep and I've found 2 bfh's work the best one on each side. an angle finder works good for keeping the two knuckles the same when reinstalling . for the cast perch get a steel shim made for the angle you need and weld it on to the housing. the other perch can be cut off and moved to match the cast in perch, it also has to be made taller to match the new hieght of the other perch

dentedup
04-05-2005, 04:04 AM
and for oiling the pinion bearing , there is room to add a oil catcher that will run onto the bearing when the gears are turning

Lucas
04-05-2005, 04:26 PM
how does the oil catcher work....where does it go.Who does cut/turning of the knuckles?

StinkFinger
04-06-2005, 01:05 PM
tom aka stranger can cut and turn them

I had thought of alot of things and this wasent it

Quote of the week:
Dear diary jack pot gigity gigity(the family guy)
thats not food thats what food eats (red forman)